My first self made flashlight

Kiu

Enlightened
http://www.acad.polyu.edu.hk/~02938190d/cr2/

After reading the post "CR2 scatch long" of Larry. I really want to own a CR2 based flashlight before the vortex KC1 is released. So, finally I have tried to machine this CR2 lipstick with lathe. Due to my novice turning technique, the machine work take me around 10hours to finish /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/thumbsdown.gif
In fact, I have work this out seperately in 3 days under a very high pressure. I am so nervous that this project cannot be success after assemble all the light parts. Fortunately, it works! the light given out.
It is a 1W HD Q "bin" with cut down NX-05. The optic is cut by filing /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/naughty.gif (just hold the optic by left hand)
I know there are many things that are require to improve in the design. So, I am very please to received any suggestion from you.
Now, I am thinking what should be my next project.
/ubbthreads/images/graemlins/wink.gif

Kiu

kongfuchicken

Flashlight Enthusiast
very very very nice!! /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/thumbsup.gif
almost as small as an arc aaa and almost as bright as an ls
sorry i'd type something even more flattering but my mind and right hand are used for snackage right now...
oh yeah suggestions?
how about posting a price for one of these babies?

Kiu

Enlightened
[ QUOTE ]
kongfuchicken said:
very very very nice!! /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/thumbsup.gif
almost as small as an arc aaa and almost as bright as an ls
sorry i'd type something even more flattering but my mind and right hand are used for snackage right now...
oh yeah suggestions?
how about posting a price for one of these babies?

[/ QUOTE ]

Thx~
If I can have the chance to use the CNC machine after my final exam. I really want to make more of it with improved design later. Then I may come & post a price at that time /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/grin.gif
Oh~, I may better study at first to avoid the fail of my exam. I take the time of lecture to make this before /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/icon15.gif.

Kiu

Enlightened
In fact, I visit/read CPF everyday like yours. But my english is not good, so I rarely post or reply. I always find difficulties to express the words that I want to say.

Larry,
Your tutorial is very very useful
/ubbthreads/images/graemlins/naughty.gif I can always learn more from your post. Thx alot /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/grin.gif

shiftd

Flashlight Enthusiast
yea, i agree

larry should post more often to disclose all of his techniques /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/grin.gif /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/icon15.gif

anyway, nice work /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/thumbsup.gif

btw, i see no knurling at all. Is it hard to turn the flashlight on? Also, it seems to me that the lux is not centered (I am picky, that is all)
but very shiny and nice work of art /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/grin.gif

PEU

Flashlight Enthusiast
Nice, very nice.

I hope I can do the same nice work when I receive my lathe!!

go on /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/thumbsup.gif/ubbthreads/images/graemlins/thumbsup.gif/ubbthreads/images/graemlins/thumbsup.gif

MR Bulk

Flashaholic
Hi Xminxm, very, Very nice! Makes the Arc AAA next to it look absolutely basketball-tall in comparison.

And I would certainly like to buy one from you if you decide to make more of them with that CNC machine you seem to have at your disposal. The "Lipstick CR2", I like it.

Hey - I was born in Hong Kong right before my entire family immigrated here. Just in case you compile a list of interested parties, then I am hoping this would help your decision of where to put me... /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/naughty.gif /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/naughty.gif /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/naughty.gif

(See everybody? I know how to grovel, too!)

Prolepsis

Enlightened
Hi Xminxm:

Totally awesome. Nice looking light. Where does the line start? I'm interested /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/smile.gif

Good luck with your finals. I'm also working on some papers for school /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/frown.gif

Skulk

Newly Enlightened
WoW! Sexy light. I'd buy one. /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/thumbsup.gif /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/buttrock.gif

bwaites

Flashlight Enthusiast
Please put me in line as well.

This is the EDC light I've always wanted. The CR2 just seems like the perfect diameter light for even tight jeans. Just about like carrying a Chapstick!

Bill

kitelights

Flashlight Enthusiast
Finally a light that I can get my S/O interested in. She NEVER goes anywhere without lipstick. If you make them to sell, I'm in.

Kiu

Enlightened
shiftd

Yes, becuase I cannot found the knurling tools in the workshop /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/jpshakehead.gif I think it may require a special permission to doing this. And the lux is a bit misaligned which may due to improper soldering(too thick). I am trying to improve my soldering technique /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/smile.gif Soldering seems a difficult task for me. It's not hard to turn on, the fiction is bewteen is like many other flashlight. In fact, the o-ring should not be there normally. Although it still work fine. As I cannot found a o-ring that thin enough to fit within. I have tried to make the o-ring groove as deep as it can substain. The thread is M18x1 mm and the inside diamater for battery is 15.5mm. Remain 2.5/2 mm thickness+groove /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/icon15.gif Now the finish dia. is 19mm, so I may redesign to 20mm to reserve the groove for o-ring in next time.

Kiu

Kiu

Enlightened
Thanks all.

Charlie,

Oh, It is nice you born in Hong Kong too. Then you are chinese? Sorry that I really dont know. And will you travel to Hong Kong in future?
In fact, I haven't plan to make a line at all. I know this require alot time of the to do this & work very hard on flashlights like you. If I can use the CNC machine, I may make it say 10 more. I just enjoyed the process to make a flashlight which make me feel graceful. Also, I think I am not good enough to become a seller.
I have a stupid question, how can I order from you. Do you still have any X3T luxeon? /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/grin.gif /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/naughty.gif

Kiu

frogmonk

Newly Enlightened
Nice size light, and simple design. Sounds like my type. Please put me on your list. Thanks, and great job!

Roman

kenny

Newly Enlightened
Xminxm,
I lived in Hong Kong for two years and used to speak pretty good Cantonese. Nay ho ma? Since there is so much manufacturing in Hong Kong, you may be able to subcontract out the machining for a reasonable price -- just a thought. I might be interested also -- especially if I could get it in kit form -- I really like to build also! (engineer). take care -- man man hang
Kenny