2 stage switch for "E" series

McGizmo

Flashaholic
2 stage switch for \"E\" series

Hi guys,

I'm plugging along on trying to gather in the components needed for both a TK as well as DIY two stage switch for the "E" series bodies with SF style tails. I have most of the required components now defined and requests for quotes out both domestically as well as off shore. Some preliminary numbers back are all over the place! /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/frown.gif Tolerance compatability issues will likely be a nightmare as well as the "buy in" will be daunting. It would be real easy to just walk away but.....

McE2S.jpg

I REALLY like this switch! /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/banghead.gif

I am not ready to expose the inner workings for a couple reasons. One is that I want to show final design components and I am waiting on a second version PCB which hosts the SMD resistors. The other reason is more selfish; I don't want to give someone else a jump on this as it will involve some serious outlay of cash and time if I do end up proceeding.

I have had a reasonable amount of PM's and E-mails wanting to know what is what so I prematurely, I suppose, am showing the work in progress. The one finished prototype shown, works great and I want more! I sure don't want to make them all from scratch! Incidentally, the tail cap shown has basically the same internal geometry as the stock tail cap so the switch module itself will work in an existing tail cap that has been gutted. It may require the boot and boot jamb nut from an existing LOTC anyway. Due to manufacturers lead times, this project is likely a couple months away unless a latest contact with an offshore manufacturer pans out. I am not holding my breath on this one..... I hope I will be able to find this thread when it's time to dust it off for an update.

Let me be the first to /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/popcorn.gif /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/wink2.gif

BC0311

Flashlight Enthusiast
Re: 2 stage switch for \"E\" series

/ubbthreads/images/graemlins/popcorn.gif /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/popcorn.gif /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/popcorn.gif

I'm really looking forward to atleast a couple of these. Best wishes on the project and I will happily pay in advance when you are ready to accept payments. /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/thumbsup.gif

I am more nuts over switches than ever /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/icon15.gif

Britt

mut

Flashlight Enthusiast

Boy do you ever sleep?
I'm inline behind Britt on this one.
Whenever your ready to accept payment let me know.
mut /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/cool.gif

brightnorm

Flashaholic

Don,

My Paypal trigger finger is itching. I'll be in for several (LOTC).

Brightnorm

Frenchyled

Flashaholic*

Don,
As usual, I haven't more money, but I am in for a couple of these /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/grinser2.gif
One or two pairs of shoes less for my wife /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/naughty.gif

cy

Flashaholic

I'm in for one... looks most excellent

Kiessling

Flashaholic

in for some of those, too, of course /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/grin.gif
cash in advance to help the financing is no problemo /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/tongue.gif
/ubbthreads/images/graemlins/thumbsup.gif Don !!! Go for it !!!
bernhard

yclo

Flashaholic*

/ubbthreads/images/graemlins/popcorn.gif

Just one question, would you consider the light pictured to be still a SF?

-YC

McGizmo

Flashaholic

YC,

Of course it's a SF. It says so right on the side! If I have any problems with this light, I'll send it in to them for makin' it right too! /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/tongue.gif /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/grin.gif Good point though! I should have used an unmarked SF E2e battery tube instead. With the DB front end, I could use a UBH and then this would be a CPF mut through and through........ It works well on my E3e but the "low" is quite a bit brighter.

Actually, the only thing dumber than your question is my response to it! /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/tongue.gif Don't you have some studying to do or something? /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/grin.gif

LitFuse

Flashlight Enthusiast

I'm interested. And confused. /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/thinking.gif

Is this for the Z57 or the LOTC?

Peter

McGizmo

Flashaholic

LitFuse,

Initially, I designed the switch module to work in both the Z57 and the LOTC. I believe that with an additional component, a spacer, this latest design will work in the Z57. I now have reason to believe that the Z57's will soon be assembled with a thread sealant/ adhesive that will preclude them from being dissassembled. Because of this, I have focused on the LOTC cap as host as well as made my own cap. The LOTC is now being phased out but there are many of them in population. I think there are far fewer Z57's currently floating around and it is more likely that the LOTC's are sitting in drawers than Z57's. /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/icon3.gif

If and when this switch gets off the ground, I will provide pictures as well as explainations on fit and function. The one shown behaves in the same manner as a L1/A2 switch. It works on all of the E bodies (1X & 2X 123) as well as all of the LED heads I have tried on these bodies that are suited for use with the number of cells associated.

LitFuse

Flashlight Enthusiast

[ QUOTE ]
McGizmo said:
I now have reason to believe that the Z57's will soon be assembled with a thread sealant/ adhesive that will preclude them from being dissassembled.

[/ QUOTE ]

Hmmm... "Tamper-resistant" Z-57s? Well, I sure hope they figure out how to make them work properly before they decide to do this. I received two of the "latest clickies" this past week and I was not impressed at all. One worked OK, but the other was nearly impossible to click using one hand. I really like a properly functioning clickie much more than the LOTC. I wish SF would get this sorted out already. /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/frown.gif

Peter

gadget_lover

Flashaholic

[ QUOTE ]
LitFuse said:
[ QUOTE ]
McGizmo said:
I now have reason to believe that the Z57's will soon be assembled with a thread sealant/ adhesive that will preclude them from being dissassembled.

[/ QUOTE ]

Hmmm... "Tamper-resistant" Z-57s? Well, I sure hope they figure out how to make them work properly before they decide to do this. I received two of the "latest clickies" this past week and I was not impressed at all. One worked OK, but the other was nearly impossible to click using one hand. I really like a properly functioning clickie much more than the LOTC. I wish SF would get this sorted out already. /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/frown.gif

Peter

[/ QUOTE ]

It should not be hard for Surfire to fix. It's essentialy the same machanism used in a ball point pen. Bic has a design that's worked fine for 30 yeras. I'm considering making a tail cap switch from a ball point. It should be good for AA and AAA lights.

BTW, I've already seen and touched the new two stage that Don designed. It's really nicely thought out. You'll like it too! /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/smile.gif

Daniel

BC0311

Flashlight Enthusiast

I like the geometry of the tail cap. That knurled flare or flange that will help keep the light body from scooting forward when I press on the switch.

The stand-on-its-tail option is nice to have.

Finally having a proper means to attach a lanyard or hand thong to the TAIL of the E series! /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/party.gif

Britt

brightnorm

Flashaholic

Don,

This is a great HA color match between the PR and E2E;
my PR-Ts are much lighter. Will new PRs look like this?

McE2S.jpg

The flanged tail is nice but I prefer the original for a more compact EDC.

Brightnorm

McGizmo

Flashaholic

Brightnorm,
This last small batch of PR heads that were done in HA-nat do match the SF color much better. The latest PR-T's do as well. As far as the tail switch goes, the switch module itself will work in the stock LOTC cap or this new cap so the option is there.