anyone EDC with a lanyard?

cy

Flashaholic
Recently I did a private group buy for several infinity ultra G's. Anyways I ended up trying out the most excellent lanyard that comes with it.

I stuck the infinity lanyard on my firefly and it has stuck. I'm EDC firefly w/lanyard and clip Arc4+ to front pocket.

The firefly feels right at home with a lanyard. And 4+ feel right at home clipped. firefly also felt at home deep in my pocket, when I was only carrying one light. But two light in one pocket sometimes gets in the way.

Anyone else EDC with a lanyard?

lbonser

Newly Enlightened
I tried it one day with a Inova X1. It was too heavy and didn't feel right. I EDC a 256MB flash disk that way, and it's okay, but the flashlight was just a bit too large/heavy. So back into my pocket it went.

Went to a movie earlier today and I pulled out the X1 to glance at my watch. Big mistake... it was way too bright and focused; it washed out my dark-vision and I still couldn't make out the face of my watch.

Later, shopping and running errands, I happened across a store that had the Infinity Ultras. I bought one on a whim; it might work better with the lanyard and be more suitable for spot checks at movies and the like ;-)

I'll try it out on a lanyard next week.

juancho

Enlightened
I EDC with a Infinity Ultra hanging from my neck, if I have to read a map I put this light in my mouth, if I needed for getting out of the river at night after fishing, I clip the Infinity clip to my cap's bill.
It is very convenient.
Juan C.

paulr

Flashaholic
I think a Firefly is too thick to carry that way. If I were to EDC a flashlight on a neck lanyard, it would be a coin cell keychain light, or at most an Arc AAA.

Aten_Imago

Banned
cy- for the benefit of those of us that haven't a clue what the lanyard that comes with the Ultra-G looks like, could you state whether its a neck, wrist or pocket lanyard? Adjustable? Break-away? A picture would also help. I ENC with a neck lanyard I made myself. I might post a how to that some of you might enjoy. It's special allright, but it's a neck lanyard. I prefer neck lanyards because I can turn on my Dorcy AAA and walk down my dark stairs and passageways with stuff in my arms ( look Ma- no hands! ) It's also lovely on camping trips for the same reason. Otherwise I use a Nite-Ize head band a lot. I almost never carry a flashlight loose in my pocket- unless its a Photon3 covert on my keychain that's my EDC

sotto

Flashlight Enthusiast
I value my lights enough and have enough invested in them that most have a lanyard (at least a wrist strap) and I try not to use the light without also securing it in my hand with the lanyard (harder to misplace and/or drop).

cy

Flashaholic
Apologies... the lanyard is 2mm reflective material, length is 46c or 18in long doubled. Terminated by a square plastic lock. I find firefly the perfect size hanging by my neck. Also the lanyard is perfect hooked to a belt loop w/flashlight dropped into pocket. failsafe if you really don't want to lose your light.

Arc4+ is the first EDC light I've carried w/o a lanyard. still makes me nervous sometime, when I'm pulling it out in a awkward position. Knowing the consequences could be fatal dropping an arc4.

firefly lanyard2.jpg

Sub_Umbra

Flashlight Enthusiast
I EDC a Spyderco Copilot on a wrist lanyard which 'hangs' in my front pocket from QD clip on my belt.

I usually carry a ARC-AA/Infinity Ultra and find them a little too heavy around the neck.

When I worked in the tropics I had a bunch of pants cut off into shorts. With some of the material cut off I had a small pocket attached to the outside thigh of each right leg. If you've ever seen a pair of 'painters pants', the pocket was pretty much like the 'pliers pocket' on the right leg of those. These new pockets on my shorts were all sized for a 2AA light. (Tekna)

That is my all time favorite carry. The wrist lanyard with QD clip was just the right length so that the light 'hung' in the custom pocket. It was really comfortable and out of the way and even if I was doing something really wierd and the light slipped out of the pocket, it was still attached to the belt. Even if I went overboard I knew it would still be there if I needed it.

paulr

Flashaholic
Actually the Ultra-G doesn't come with a lanyard. That lanyard came with the original Ultra and Infinity lights, which also came with a pocket clip. I think that more recent Ultras (Gerber version) ship with the clip but no lanyard. The Ultra-G is just the bare light in a ziploc bag, no clip, no lanyard, no nice cardboard package.

The Infinity/Ultra lanyard is a nice match for the light but it's nothing spectactular, btw.

cy

Flashaholic
[ QUOTE ]
paulr said:
Actually the Ultra-G doesn't come with a lanyard. The Ultra-G is just the bare light in a ziploc bag, no clip, no lanyard, no nice cardboard package.

[/ QUOTE ]
I just got in 8 ultra G's from Countycomm and they all had lanyards and clips.

I know there is nothing special about the ultra lanyard, but it sure is made out of a nice refective material and is just the right size and feel. Best of all it fits perfect on my firefly. Good enough for my EDC.

paulr

Flashaholic
Very interesting! Ultra-G's never came with clips/lanyards before, and CC made a point of saying so. Was there any packaging, or just a a baggie? Do your Ultra-G's have an NSN contract number?

Aten_Imago

Banned
cy
Thanks for the picture. Makes a difference you know. I like that lanyard but mine (home-made) just has the break-away at the neck 'cause I find the a plastic lock bothers my tender neck. I like your tip for pocket use- i think I'll try that for a couple of nights. One way I started using my lanyard is across my chest, so the light ends up under one arm. I measured my lanyard at 19" doubled, and there's room for me to do that. It allows me to run at night without having the flashlight swinging around too much ! Looks cool too ;-) Since we're on the subject...
I made mine from a 36" Braided Hiking Boot lace. ran it through a "lobster-claw" then a 3/4" piece of heat-shrink tubing. I then whipped the two ends together with some heavy button thread and placed the heat-shrink over the join, shrank the tubing ( match) and viola! a $4.00 neck-lanyard. The reason I love it is that Quality Braided Boot Laces have nice 'stretch' to them, cushioning even a heavy light ! Try it. Its very easy. The lobster claws you can get from a hardware store- usually at the key-making shop etc. Total cost maybe $4.00

sideshowandy

Newly Enlightened
the lights that i have with me all/most of the time are - ARC LSHF, L4, C3, A2 and an X5 - they all have laynards attached.

the ARC's laynard is through worry over losing this little diamond - it stays attached to my belt.

the rest have a laynard to prevent dropping - i rarely wear the laynard around my wrist but when i drop the light the laynard greatly improves my chance of a safe catch before contact with the ground /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/rolleyes.gif

i'm particularly concerned with the L4 as it has a couple of dents in the bezel already - it appears that these small crenelated bezels are a little soft...

i mostly use laynards off Surefire spares carriers.

cy

Flashaholic
[ QUOTE ]
paulr said:
Very interesting! Ultra-G's never came with clips/lanyards before, and CC made a point of saying so. Was there any packaging, or just a a baggie? Do your Ultra-G's have an NSN contract number?

[/ QUOTE ]
It came in a plain plastic baggie with clip and lanyard.

The finish is HA 3 finish to mil spec. very hard. All of the led's were white, bright and centered. Seems slightly brighter than Arc AA and brighter than last ultr G w/o MSN number. 4 out of 8 lights were premium grade, meaning a warm tint almost same tint as my 2003 cpf arc AAA.

These infinity ultra G, IMHO is the most light for the dollar you can buy ($14.50). Definately the least expensive real HA light you can buy.

I like the lanyard so much, it's almost worth the price for the lanyard.

Printed ON LIGHT:

U.S.
GOVERNMENT
MSN 6230-01503-9513

paulr

Flashaholic
Thanks, that's interesting. All 4 of my Ultra-G's (three wiht the NSN number, one without) have had the usual blueish tint, and two of the NSN versions have had not-so-good centering. Maybe they've cleaned up their act, or on the other hand maybe they've switched to a different brand of LED. I notice that most of my Countycomm $1 coin cell lights have better tint than the Ultra-G and Arc AAA and I figure the $1 coin lights are using cheapo leds (they're maybe dimmer than the Nichias but they're definitely whiter).

A while back I emailed CMG and asked if I could buy some of the clips and lanyards, and Julie wrote back saying she'd send me some for free. A while later, a package came in the mail with clips but no lanyards. Maybe I'll inquire again about the lanyards. But it looks like Gerber no longer includes the lanyards. Anyhow, the lanyards are nice, and worth 2 or 3 bucks in my opinion, but certainly not $14.50. I think I'll just use some paracord if I can't get extra CMG lanyards.

And now you make me want to buy more Ultra-G's in my next CC order... /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/icon23.gif

simbad

Enlightened
I allways carry two lights with me, LSHF with spare trekking boot laces and wichard gate clip attached to belt loop hanging in my right front pocket, my other light is a Arc AAA in keyring.Weekends when sailing I take an SFire E2e in my Henry-LLoyd Harness parka chest pocket, with a bunch of batteries just in case, this one lights up double than my 3D Mag with the best halogen lamp /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/cool.gif

richpalm

Banned
I carry an ARC LS around my neck with a Surefire lanyard at work-not uncomfortable. Tried my McLux and that was a little too big (plus I didn't want to ding it up!)

Then I can mouth the light if I have to easily and it is accessible fast.

Rich

chumley

Enlightened
REI has neck lanyards with a swivel and a clip for $1.00 each. I found them in the misc. camping gear section, next to the whistles. They are the best deal I found for lanyards so far.