Need a hand gun?

jtivat

Flashlight Enthusiast
So I went and bought an X200 and now I need a handgun to go with it. So what should I be look at I don't want to have to add anything to mount the light. I also don't want to go broke.
Thanks
JT

flownosaj

Flashlight Enthusiast
Walther model 99 in .40 cal /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/evilgrin07.gif It has rails for attachments, is great for home defense and is fun to shoot.

Just noticed that you want to keep it in budget. Look for a used Glock--maybe a model 27?

-Jason

Edit:
AlphaTea--sorry, I meant to say a 19 or 17. I've just got model 27 on the brain as I've been considering trading in my snubbie .357 revolver for one.

AlphaTea

Enlightened
[ QUOTE ]
flownosaj said:
Walther model 99 in .40 cal /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/evilgrin07.gif It has rails for attachments, is great for home defense and is fun to shoot.
Just noticed that you want to keep it in budget. Look for a used Glock--maybe a model 27?
-Jason

[/ QUOTE ]
Yo Jason,
slight mistake... A Glock 27 is a sub-compact .40S&W, no rails to attach an X200. However, a most excellent weapon (mine is!)

Prolepsis

Enlightened
[ QUOTE ]
jtivat said:
So I went and bought an X200 and now I need a handgun to go with it.
JT

[/ QUOTE ]

You are a true flashaholic. /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/smile.gif /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/naughty.gif

Can't answer your question though, sorry. In Canada, because of our stricter weapon laws and requirements, I started to look into Airsoft to find something to fit my X200 with. /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/smile.gif

Wolfen

Flashlight Enthusiast
Something in the XD series by Springfield. I've heard nothing but good things about these pistols.

Roy

Farewell our Curmudgeon Administrator
Hey,I know it's not quite what you're looking for, but I don't get a chance to show it off very often.

colt.jpg

It's a Colt Commander 45 ACP.

notos&w

Enlightened
my advice - think glock or springfield xd in 9mm.
.40 and .45 cost too much to shoot. 9mm is very effective but cheap enough to plink. all you have to do is choose your SD ammo carefully (you'd have to do this anyway as some loads don't do well at all)

wasabe64

Flashaholic*
A nice 1911A1 in .40/45, Glock 27 or Glock 25.

I'm a big fan of .40 cal, but it is definitely not a plinking round. Cost for ammunition isn't too bad if you get into reloading. There! Something else to invest in. /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/tongue.gif

jhereg

Enlightened
It depends on what you want a handgun for. I would generally recommend a Glock 19. It is 9mm (9x19) which will let you practice w/ inexpensive ammo. The grip is generally a good size for most people. You should see if you can find a local range & shoot that type of gun before you buy one. You may find what looks good & what feels/shoots well may not be the same thing. I find Glocks fit me & shoot well, but they are kind of ugly. It's hard to find a gun in that price range that will work as well as a Glock does out of the box w/ no changes. Whatever you get, try & shoot one before you decide to buy.

Wick

Newly Enlightened
The Glock 19, IMHO, is the perfect gun for you. Its stupid simple to operate and clean and has a built in rail that will accept the x200. They are relativley afordable and so is the ammo. The glocks are also very reliable. It may be ugly but it works.

Wick

14C

Enlightened
If you don't already have one buy a single action .22 revolver and learn to shoot it well. Then move up in caliber and think about D/A or semi-auto. Too many people develop bad habits when they start out with large caliber weapons.

A .22 is cheap and fun to shoot and a S/A is essential for safe learning.

Consider a CC qualifiying course if your state allows permits. You do not need to carry but you will learn a lot.

If you are already a shooter the .40 in a variety of models is worth serious consideration. You can purchase hydroshock ammo for effect.

I like the .357 with 125 .gr JHP or for some things 145 gr. silvertips for others.

Consider frangible and shot rounds for home defense.

THEN figure out what you want to put your light on.

nightshade

Enlightened
Springfield XD-9 is a sweet autopistol,choice of barrel lengths,VERY pointable.Easy to modify sights.Low muzzle flash,low recoil allowing quick subsequent target engagement.Trigger takes a little time to learn if you were used to single-action autos growing up.
Affordable,reliable,and just my opinion. And my wife's.It's her pistol.

tkl

Flashlight Enthusiast
[ QUOTE ]
Wick said:
The Glock 19, IMHO, is the perfect gun for you. Its stupid simple to operate and clean and has a built in rail that will accept the x200. They are relativley afordable and so is the ammo. The glocks are also very reliable. It may be ugly but it works.

Wick

[/ QUOTE ]I concur. However, I find Glocks very good looking. /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/grin.gif

The only bad thing I've heard about the XD's is poor finish leading to rust. XD's slide and barrel aren't tennifer treated like Glock's and nowhere near as durable or rust resistant.

jtivat

Flashlight Enthusiast
Thanks for all the input, larger is probably better for me as I have large hands. I want the gun for in the home I have a S&W 44 mag model 29 with 8 3/4" barrel right now but it is a bit to big for the home and I can't mount the light on it. /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/smile.gif

TonyBPD

Enlightened
[ QUOTE ]
tkl said:
[ QUOTE ]
Wick said:

Wick

[/ QUOTE ]I concur. However, I find Glocks very good looking. /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/grin.gif

The only bad thing I've heard about the XD's is poor finish leading to rust. XD's slide and barrel aren't tennifer treated like Glock's and nowhere near as durable or rust resistant.

[/ QUOTE ]

I have had my Springfield XD-9 Subcompact for about 7 months. It is my main carry gun and I have not seen this rust that some folks talk about. I use Miltec 1 on it and it's been trouble free. Awesome pistol. I was playing around with a full size XD-9 with a X200 the other day and it was very nice. You can't go wrong with it.

You can't go wrong with the Walther P99 as well. I have had mine for 2 years with about 5 thousand rounds through it and not a single problem. I also have a Bar-sto .357 Sig barrel for it.
/ubbthreads/images/graemlins/buttrock.gif

tkl

Flashlight Enthusiast
[ QUOTE ]
I have had my Springfield XD-9 Subcompact for about 7 months. It is my main carry gun and I have not seen this rust that some folks talk about. I use Miltec 1 on it and it's been trouble free.

[/ QUOTE ] That's why I like my Glock, I don't have to put anything on the slide or inside the barrel to keep it from rusting. Your P99, if it's a German not S&W, will be the same since it's tennifer treated also. Nothing against the XD, it's a fine pistol, I just prefer Glocks for durability and corrosion resistance.

In my area XD's are priced almost as much as Glock, if they were considerably cheaper I might get one. IMO they are worth no more than the $250 they originally sold for before Springfield slapped their name on. At Glock prices why not get the original?

Flashlight Enthusiast
What handgun models are compatable with an X200?