MM AA Drop in: 1W or 3W

Skulk

Newly Enlightened
I'm looking into getting a Madmax for my Minimag. I'm wondering if the 3W is really that much brighter than the 1W drop in. I just want to know if it is worth the extra $20 to get the 3W if the difference in brightness and distance isn't that big.

TrueBlue

Flashlight Enthusiast
This is just my theory. I think a light would be more efficient if it is running at about 50 to 75% of its rated capacity. A one Watt LED with a Madmax would do that. A three watt would be under driven and might have a color shift. A three Watt Lux might last longer but over 11 years of continuous light out of a one Watt Lux is more than I can use in a lifetime...or two.

Just my theory. It would be nice if someone had both a one and three Watt Lux to make a comparison. Longevity comparison would take a while longer.

cannon50

Newly Enlightened
I own both and have to say the 3W T-Lux is very bright and white. Of course it is a HD with a 6 deg. optic that puts all its light in a tighter beam. You might also consider the $30.00 1W HD (same optic) that is offered. Wayne says it has the same 4 bin code that the 3W has and is also very white as well. Don't think he has any more regular MM T's now. Sure glad I finally got one. It's hard to say which one I like the best. The 1W is a pleasure when working but the 3W is nice to have when walking at dark.