Arc4+ Rev2 Switch Problems

Status
Not open for further replies.

bobisculous

Flashlight Enthusiast
I know everyone just got theirs as well but I was wondering if anyone else is expiriencing this. When I got my Arc4+ Thursday, it worked flawlessly. But in time over 24 hours, the switch kind of bugged out. It seems as though the connection from the switch to the battery is making contact to soon and turns on before you here the 'clicl' noise from the light. Doesnt sound like its a problem, but it really it in that when you think the light has clicked twice, the light actually thinks it clicked 3 times because it made an extra connection without you knowing it. Is it safe to take the switch apart and try 'aligning' parts or somthing? I dont want to screw my light up so I am needing some advice. Thanks in advance!
Cameron

mut

Flashlight Enthusiast
Try this link right here
It has started being discussed. Scroll through it and Peter says to send him an e-mail and he will send replacement part(s)

Hope this helps
/ubbthreads/images/graemlins/grinser2.gif

PieThatCorner

Enlightened
Just a quick question to add... is there supposed to be a "click"? I don't hear a thing when I press the tailswitch... /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/icon3.gif

-Jim

Sean

Flashlight Enthusiast
From what I have discovered by mixing and matching all the switch parts from my rev1 and rev2 packs around is that the problem is the rev2 battery pack is longer but the plunger that makes up the switch is too short. The only way I could get the rev2 pack to work right was to rig it by adding length to the plunger. Now it works fine. Hopefully Peter's replacement parts will permenantly fix this.

wptski

Flashlight Enthusiast
I should have mine on Monday but do all the REV2s have switch problems? From Peter's comments, it sounds like not all have problems, correct?

bobisculous

Flashlight Enthusiast
Thanks for the link mut. No, I dont think that they are all going to have the problem. They couldnt have cought mine as it went through cause it worked totally fine when I got it. It just slowly progressed to a now slightly serious problem. This morning, my switch is now hardly working at all.
Cameron

indenial

Enlightened
As expensive as it is, I think it's extraordinary that a consumer would feel a need to make a repair oneself on a defective product. That's a testament to the type of customer loyalty that Peter has been able to earn over the years. Returning the light for replacement or repair is unfortunate, but think about the lifelong pleasure this technological wonder will give. For me, it's in the class of a family heirloom.

bobisculous

Flashlight Enthusiast
I agree with you idenial. I am not worried about my product being defected cause I know that Peter will do anything to fix it. He has a great reputation for that. Plus I know that 99% of Arcs products dont do this. I was just the person who had to get it. No hard feelings about it at all. Its just part of business and life for that matter.
Cameron

indenial

Enlightened
Yes. I didn't mean to imply the entire run was defective, just the few samples discussed here. Mine works perfectly!

mut

Flashlight Enthusiast
[ QUOTE ]
this_is_nascar said:
Of the (3) REV2's that I received, (1) seems to have an OK switch. The other (2) are questionable.

[/ QUOTE ]

I am sure glad you get more than one. I was starting to think that maybe the few of us with problems were not doing something right. /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/banghead.gif

Thanks for the info TIN
mut

indenial

Enlightened
[ QUOTE ]
this_is_nascar said:
Of the (3) REV2's that I received, (1) seems to have an OK switch. The other (2) are questionable.

[/ QUOTE ]

Wow. You purchased three? Impressive. Hmm. Two out of three isn't good.

gp01

Newly Enlightened
I have decided to also post my switch problems here since this tread seems more appropriate:
" I received my first Arc4+ after being so impressed with the AAA and AA quality. Regrettably, mine came with a switch that is near impossible to use so it will have to be sent back. After several minutes of bone crushing silent pushes(is it suppose to click?), I began to notice quite a loud rattle in the tailcap. I opened the tailcap to find a fair amount of black "grease" everywhere which made inspecting and handling impossible. I am still at mystery why a new light would have this gunk. The AAA/AA did not and none of my other lights have had this condition. The beam quality is, of course, superb. Unfortunately, I am of the opinion that the tailcap needs to be redesigned or upgraded for free as soon as possible. I won't give up yet but I am back to using my L4 until the Arc4 becomes usable. My poor thumb needs a rest."

Rothrandir

Flashaholic
the black gunk is carbon grease, which helps the electrical contact /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/smile.gif

chiaroscuro

Enlightened
I hope ,gp01,that you have contacted Arc directly about this ,as well. I'm sure
Peter and Arc will do their best to make it right. Don't give up ,yet.
And, welcome to CPF. /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/grin.gif

Gransee

Flashlight Enthusiast
The first revision of the Arc4 also had a touchy switch. After the rev1s were sent out, we got feedback from you guys that said this was the most important issue to be worked on. We then told the contract engineer that this was our number one problem to solve. The result was the rev2 design. I get the impression though that the fix made the problem worse in some cases!

Honestly, the problem is made more difficult to solve because of it's intermittant nature. I keep telling you guys, we test the switch on each light quite a few times. Once when it is measured for brightness, a couple of times to check the tint at level 16 and another for good measure before the battery is removed and everything is packaged. Obviously, the state of the switch does not remain the same once it leaves the factory. I am beginning to think that a couple of things are happening from when the product leaves the factory and you get it at your home:

1. Parts move around inside the tail assembly
2. Tempurature may cause some parts to expand, changing the alignment
3. Different cells change the length of the mechansim
4. The rubber boot and/or other parts stretch out with repeated use
5. "Monkey dust" (a term for all other types of wierdness)

I am going to have the techs test each light with different batteries. Since the Rev1, we also dunk each light in hot water for 2 minutes before the switch is tested one last time. That tends to make me think that temp is less of a factor than some of the other possibilities.

Ultimately, I think we just need more range in the parts. This will make the assembly more tolerant of the many possible variations. Adding this increased travel will require another revision. This time, I am going to play a more hands-on role with the engineering to make sure we get exactly what I want.

If you got a bum switch, you can send the light back, or just the tail or we can send you some parts to swap out. I like the part swap for several reasons: if we tweak the switch, we still can't be sure it will work in your particular situation, sending you the parts is quicker and requires less shipping, etc. The downside is that you are then doing work that we should be doing as the manufacturer. Another down side is that you might make it worse and get even more frustrated. Also, there is more wasted parts than if you sent it back and we rebent the parts, etc to make them more precise.

As far as how common the switch problem is, I don't know yet. We have to look at how many incidents are reported. More units were made this time around so if the percentage of defect is the same, more defects will be reported. I am hoping that this revision (rev2) will actually reduce the percentage. Too soon to say though.

Sorry for the inconvenence. You and I enjoy an unusually close relationship for a manufacturer/customer, lets work this problem together.

Peter

mut

Flashlight Enthusiast
Peter as I have stated before I do not mind doing little fixes on the ARC4+.
You are one of the few....actually the only manufacturer that has such a close relationship with its consumers.(that I know of) You ask for our imput and use it.

Thanks

Status
Not open for further replies.