• You must be a Supporting Member to participate in the Candle Power Forums Marketplace.

You can become a Supporting Member.

Sold/Expired Illuminator SMD+ Kits Now Available

lambda

Flashlight Enthusiast
EDIT: Update at end of thread...

OK, though I've been down with this neck injury, I was still able to do some design work and parts ordering. The result is an all new design of the ILLPILL named the Illuminator SMD. This new circuit will come in two flavors; bright and brighter. /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/grin.gif

Actually, the High Output version is considerably brighter, and only sacrafices a few minutes of run time for extra intensity. However, the standard SMD itself is more powerful than the old ILLPILL too.

Enough said, here's the link to the sneek peek

I know there will be questions, so ask away.

And the first question everyone will ask is "How much?", so I'll answer that as best I can right now: "I have not received and quality tested all the parts yet, including Luxeons for completed modules, so I can not give you a firm price but do not expect any price increase from the ILLPILL price."

I hope to offer the initial complete SMDs with some very select BIN Luxeons, so hold on to your britches, the world of low cost high performance portable Luxeon lighting is almost at hand. /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/thumbsup.gif

BC0311

Flashlight Enthusiast
Re: Sneek Peek - Illuminator SMD: ILLPILL Update

I'm in for two of these at the get-go. Just what I've been waiting for. /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/thumbsup.gif

Don't overdo it, take care of yourself. /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/smile.gif

Looking forward to their availability.

Britt

Noxiousbt

Newly Enlightened

I am also in for two of your brightest as well. Nice job, have been waiting for this. Good luck with the neck!
Brandon

bald1

Enlightened

Kevin,

I'm a newbie but with a couple of MiniMags on hand I've been looking at an upgrade. Your IllPill conversion "drop in" kit looks to be a worthy choice at $20 (if my search research here is correct). If so, I'd like to try a High Output /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/smile.gif

Trust you're getting to feel better.

Thanks,

Bob

mut

Flashlight Enthusiast

I'd like to be in for one of each bright and brighter.

Thanks lambda /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/thumbsup.gif

/ubbthreads/images/graemlins/grinser2.gif /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/grinser2.gif

IsaacHayes

Flashlight Enthusiast

wow, great work! I think I'm going to have to buy one of these w/HD! I'm digging that copper heatsink! Only problem now is deciding what color minimag to put this in, and which power level to get!?

Lambda, does the H.O. version make a big difference in visable brightness? 200 more lux it seems, is it like a double visable increase?

lambda

Flashlight Enthusiast

[ QUOTE ]
IsaacHayes said:

Lambda, does the H.O. version make a big difference in visable brightness? 200 more lux it seems, is it like a double visable increase?

[/ QUOTE ]

It's not twice as bright, but a very noticeable increase in throw and side spill. For me, once you cross the 500 Lux boundry, you've got a pretty bright AA flashlight in your hand. Not just useful up close, but with enough throw to reach out and light up the night.

PEU

Flashlight Enthusiast

now I have the luxeons /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/smile.gif

may be I hold them there waiting for news... /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/smile.gif /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/grin.gif

gimme the circuit details!!!

cheers

Justintoxicated

Flashlight Enthusiast

Lambda will you be offering these in Kit form too?

I still have 2 Ill Pills left waiting for luxeons, perhaps if your going to offer these as kits also, I will give these 2 away as gifts and save for the improved kits for my blue and green MM mods.

I just perfer lux III's and if they are in any way similar to the old pill I'm sure Lux III's will contiinue to be my preference.

stockwiz

Enlightened

I'm in for one of the brightest ones /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/smile.gif

cue003

Flashlight Enthusiast

I am in for a Illuminator Econo-HO - Hi Output complete Luxeon flashlight with SMD DC/DC.

I am also in for a full kit type setup or a mini-mag light I have. Want the HO one for that too.

Thanks.

flashfan

Flashlight Enthusiast

I'm interested in "whitest" and "brightest!" Will this be a limited run that restricts the number of pills a member could purchase? Any idea when you'll begin taking orders/pre-orders?

Thanks and hope you're feeling better! (Hmm...was your injury caused by craning your neck to see how far the pill shines? /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/smile.gif

sygyzy

Enlightened

Keep us updated. I am very interested.

lambda

Flashlight Enthusiast

Justintoxicated - Yes, of course, kits too. But I need to rewrite the instructions for the new construction..

Flashfan - I might place restrictions on the initial batch, as the Luxeons I hope to offer will be limited in quantity. However, I'm still scrounging Luxeons, so that could change with some more luck.

Right now, besides waiting for the Luxeons to arrive, I'm also waiting for blank circuit card materiel. Kepro went out of business and Dalpro has taken their place as the DF materiel supplier. Some of the board stock I use isn't a standard type they always stock. I placed the order last week, but since this is my first order with them I don't know when to actually expect delivery. It's a wait and see game now...

I also have a question for you guys:

I've been experimenting with assembling a HD Luxeon kit for using the reflector with a MiniMag. But, the lights I have need to be machined so the head will screw down far enough to focus properly. Sometimes material needs to be cut from the end of threads to the o-ring groove. On others, some threads must also be removed from the front of the battery tube because of how the threads are cut short in the head. So it doesn't look like a MM kit with reflector will be possible for the average Joe without a lathe.

Now, I've read post where some of you guys used the reflector, how did you do it? I think a fat oring in front of the reflector might work, but then the reflector is pushed so far back from the front lens it makes a round shadow.

So, does anyone have any tips for HD and reflector in MM?

bryguy42

Newly Enlightened

I have a TWOJ emitter that I would like to utilize in the SMD-HO Pill. Will the TWOJ be O.K. for this??? (Unless your "select" bin Luxeon would be on a par with this, in which case I'll just buy your completed Pill...)

Either way , I'm in for a couple SMD-HO Pills!!!

ZuluWhiskeyFox

Enlightened

I'll be wanting a few of these myself. In kit form. Will you be starting another thread when they become available?

cheers,
zwf

Roy

Farewell our Curmudgeon Administrator

I like your runtime plot on the old alkaline batteries at 24 hours! Nice work!!!