Finally Joined the HID Mod Club

lambda

Flashlight Enthusiast
Not that this mod hasn't been done before, it's just that I've never done it before and really like the results. /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/thumbsup.gif

maghid3.jpg

I gutted my UK Light Cannon and moved the parts into a dark silver 2D Mag, and retained the original switch. From outward appearances, it's just another plain old Mag. But hit the switch and things get bright pretty fast. Nothing like the initial "that's not so bright" comment when it's first turned on, but after a few seconds of warming up, the "h@ly sh_t!" comments start.

maghid1.jpg

This is powered by eight NiMh AA cells in a severely modified Radio Shack 8AA holder. Run time is over 90 min, so it's not a short lived drain the battery down in few minutes modification either. I tried to measure the output, but it overloads the light meter instantly; at least putting it well over 20,000 Lux at one meter.

So, if you've got a UK and would rather have something that is focusable with much greater throw, this is an easy mod (once the 2D battery tube is bored out in the front section to accept the solarc ballast).

Now I can play the "My Mag is brighter than yours" game....

raggie33

*the raggedier*
cool light.i thought of geting a hid light but ive heard there more fragile then most lights but 20k lux is cool as hect

lambda

Flashlight Enthusiast
Actually, I've already butter fingered it twice out in the yard, dropping from about 4ft and that didn't phase it. I did add a rubber gasket to keep the bulb plugged in the socket during such episodes. Hopefully, I won't be doing any more of these drop tests though....

McGizmo

Flashaholic
That's cool Kevin! I have a LC also. Thanks a lot! /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/tongue.gif /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/grin.gif

K-T

*Moderator*
Wow, somehow I thought the LC ballast is much larger in diameter and would not fit the Mag, seems that I was wrong. /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/grin.gif

lambda

Flashlight Enthusiast
[ QUOTE ]
K-T said:
Wow, somehow I thought the LC ballast is much larger in diameter and would not fit the Mag, seems that I was wrong. /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/grin.gif

[/ QUOTE ]

Yes, the Mag needs to be bored out a little, but leaves plenty of material behind. It's so close to just fitting that only about 0.020" dia needs to be removed. But the ballast has a +-0.010 dia tollerance, so best you have that in hand before cutting. It needs to fit like a glove for best heat transfer.

evan9162 - I'm too lazy to take apart my set up right now, but may get around to that.

3rd_shift - I'll do what I can do for photos, but I don't know about that flashlights in the bathtub shot....

Brightness is closer to a 1 million cp spot light than flashlight bright. My X3T 6AA Direct Drive with fresh batteries can't even come close. The lamp is rated at only 500 lumens, but it sure seems like it's putting out more than that.

I'll see if I can get some long range outdoor shots against a 1mcp spot light.

flashfan

Flashlight Enthusiast
/ubbthreads/images/graemlins/ooo.gif /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/buttrock.gif /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/drool.gif

LEDagent

Flashlight Enthusiast
Hey Lambda,

I finally got myself a 2D Maglight. I got the switch and lamp assembly out and now all i have to do is bore out the head for the ballast to fit and make an 8AA battery holder.

If i could find a machining shop locally what exactly should i tell them? Do you remember the measurements that were required? I'm going to be contacting a few shops tomorrow over the phone so i want to sound like i know what i'm talking about. These shops to do large jobs so i hope they can take some time to do a small job for me. I hope they won't charge me an arm and a leg.

Also, can you give me any details on the battery pack you made? I stopped by Radio Shack and picked up 2 4AA battery holders with 9V connectors on one end. They can't fit in the maglight body until i sand them down a bit. What else can i do?

Thanks again!

Azecos

Newly Enlightened
[ QUOTE ]
Nerd said:
UCL used?

[/ QUOTE ]

yes, I don't think the stock lens can handle the high temperature very well. (the stock reflector already melted a bit, now waiting for my carley reflector)