Swedish Glow Material Arrived/Review/Offer

wwglen

Enlightened
I just ordered this from the Sportsmans Guide. Will post a review when it comes in.

Test from the Guide:
With this unusual find, Swedish Glow-in-the-dark Material! You get a 25 3/5" by approx. 33' (10 meters) long roll. Sturdy fabric backing (with Swedish crowns, even!) and rubberized "glow" facing. For arts & crafts projects, safety markings... let your imagination "glow" on all the uses!Condition: brand new, never issued.

Only $20

wwglen

flashfan

Flashlight Enthusiast
Re: Swedish Glow Material at Sportsmans Guide

wwglen, looking forward to your review!

wwglen

Enlightened
Re: Swedish Glow Material -- Review and Offer

Well it arrived yesterday.

I opened the box and took out a old looking sealed cardboard and metal tube about 2 feet long and 6 inches in diameter.

When I opened the tube the first things I saw were a big roll of twine and two small boxes (2"x2"x.25") wrapped up in grease paper. These boxes turned out to hold saftey pins. I assume the pins are to hold the paper on the string. Why I can't really begin toi guess.

I then too out the rolled up glow material. It is obviousally in new condition but from the condition of the tube I would say it is definatly new-OLD material.

The glow material has a slight yellow color to it and id backed with a heavy duty cloth, tear resistant backing. Hearder to tear than good duct tape.

I cut off a 3"x3" square and took it into the restroom. After holding it to the light for about 15-20 seconds I cut off the light. It gave off a dull green glow. I turned on my Dorcy 1-AA LED light on it at close range (resting on the material) and I got three bright spots surrounded by a ligter area.

I moved the flashlight around in a small area to activate a circle of avout 1.5". I cut the light off and after about 5 minutes it was still glowing fairly bright. I turned the flashlight on a different part of the material for a couple of seconds and you could see that there had been significent fading during the proceeding 5 minutes.

Last night before bed I placed the material under the lamp beside the bed and left it there for about 15 minutes. I then cut off the light and it glowed very brightly.

I used an ARC-LS and a ledgen-LX to shine on the material and it was obvious that it was saturated from the lamp as no brght spots were produced.

It glowed throughout the night and when I got up about 7.5 hours later it still had a noticable glow to it.

I am not an expert with glow material but it seemed pretty good. Now to figure what to do with 30+ feet of about 2 feet wide glow material.

My offer:

I cut off four envelope sized pieces and am offering to send them to four of our "professional" reviewes for a more in-depth look. Just post here and PM me with address.

wwglen

PaulW

Flashlight Enthusiast

There is an alternative use for all this glow material. Have you thought of keeping it and papering the walls or the ceiling of one of your rooms with it? That would be wild!

flashfan

Flashlight Enthusiast

wwglen, thanks for sharing your experience with this product.

The yellowish color and very thick backing sounds like Alien Skin. Vcal is probably THE CPF authority on glow stuff, and can provide a really good review and/or comparison with other products on the market. Hope he checks in here.

The_LED_Museum

*Retired*

I'll accept a piece, and post about it on my "Other Things that Glow" page. /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/smile.gif

PM on the way as soon as I save this post...

vcal

Flashlight Enthusiast

PM request for sample sent. /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/cool.gif

The_LED_Museum

*Retired*

I just received the sample of glow material, thank you wwglen! /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/smile.gif /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/grin.gif /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/smile.gif
I'll post my impressions about it when it gets dark here - around seven more hours. But I'll be able to start its "review" on my Miscellaneous Glowing Things page much sooner than that. As soon as I finish my lunch, I'll start working on that page. /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/smile.gif

TOB9595

Enlightened

I didn't count up a lot of requests so I just pm'd you.
I do see that you received 33 feet.
YeGads!!
If you have another sample to let out. I'd be interested in reviewing it.
I'll take a look to see if there's still some left on the site /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/smile.gif
Tom

vcal

Flashlight Enthusiast
Re: Swedish Glow Material -- conclusion

Thanks to wwglen for a sample of this GITD material.

A straight across comparison with a known sample of strontium aluminate sheeting from www.extremeglow.com reveals this material to be coated with zinc sulfide.

This comes as no surprise when you consider the large cost differential between the two.
60 sq.ft (roughly)-Swedish for $20.
1 sq.ft. xtremeglow for $3.

.30 per sq.ft.-(Swedish-vinyl) vs. $3.00 per sq.ft. (extremeglow-paper sheet)

The sulfide sample was about 10-15% as strong as my best strontium aluminate sample, which is a "grade 8"40-60 grit. When you consider the extremely modest cost of the sulfide coated vinyl, I don't think you got hurt too badly.

Skylighter

Enlightened

I am a bit late on this, but I know more than I should about Glow in the Dark materials. I thought I may be able to shed some light.

Glow in the Dark sheeting and almost all glow products are manufactured by only a handful of companies. The brightness is determined by a few things: chemical, grade, partical size, ratio, and thickness.

Chemicals can be Zinc Sulfide or one of the Earth Aluminates. But within these categories, there are hundreds of grades. Some Earth Aluminates are considerably less bright than Zinc Sulfide. The pricing between low grade and high grade pigment is almost 10 times. Therefore, almost all manufacturers use low or medium grade.

Since glow in the dark is created by multiple elements fused together, large particles will be brighter. In fact, even a small difference in particle size makes a major difference in brightness.

Although the particle size does not usually effect price within any grade, smaller particles are much easier to work with in a production environment. Therefore, there is yet another benefit to not using the brightest material for a manufacturer.

For anything that glows, there is a ratio of pigment in a clear medium. This ratio can range from .5% up to about 20%. Of course, higher ratios create brighter products. But once again, the extremely expensive pigment makes that a hard call for the manufacturer.

Finally, thickness of the material makes a big difference. A paper-thin sheet is naturally going to be dimmer than 1/8 inch sheet.

We thought about selling the sheet as a distributor, but the price mark for good quality sheet was very high.

I do have a very nice 1/8" sample from a Chinese company that is relatively bright.

On a side note to the webmaster of the LED Museum. I recommend your site almost daily to people looking for UV LED information. I sometimes think I am in the wrong market.

Have Fun,
Danny Clark
Glow Inc. (www.glowinc.com)

vcal

Flashlight Enthusiast

Interesting..a CPF search will show our discussions and use of G.I.T.D. materials over the last 3 years.

BTW..-what's your opinion on "Alien Skin"? /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/grin.gif (value-wise)
-Added:
Your opinion on Nichia's most powerful pigment??

Skylighter

Enlightened

Vcal,

I am not sure how to take your statement. But, I will add that if you do a search on my name, you will find that I have shared in a lot of those discussions.

We have been working serious overtime over the past year. I dont get as much time to look around as I did before. I will say that when I am here at CPF, I am usually looking into LED flashlights as a hobby more than as a representative of Glow Inc.

None the less, I am not familiar with Alien Skin.

Nichia is just a reseller, they dont manufacture pigment. I would question the validity of their chart on the pigment page. The only time "Purple-Blue" lasts over 15 hours is if it has a flashlight under it. Our manufacturer just puts > 20 hours on every product. It is just part of the game for them I guess.

On a side note, I really do not feel right giving reviews of individual competitors products. That is why I wrote the note above on how the different variables effect brightness and price.

We buy samples from every major competitor to see what they are doing. But it is not fair for me to make obviously biased opinions.

If you use the template above, it should allow you to evaluate the quality of almost any GID product. Simply ask the company to provide the specs. Then ask them where those specs originated.

In our case, we buy literally the brightest available pigments straight from the 3 large pigment manufactures. We don't even bother attempting to compete on price. So our quality has to carry the ball. In our paint, we use 2 lbs of pigment per gallon. In comparison, the popular paint from Canada and China is at a ratio of 1/3 lb per gallon using the upper-mid grade pigments.

I hope the info I provided on this and the other threads was helpful. The last thing I intended to do was to SPAM the groups or to down other's products.

Danny Clark
Glow Inc (www.glowinc.com)
Our paint medium was developed just for the GID pigments by a US engineer. They dont contain any additives hurting the brightness or clarity. They do include a suspension base, which keeps them from seperating and smooths out the finish. This medium is manufactured in Florida.

TOB9595

Enlightened

wwglen, I got my sample today and I'm impressed with it.
But I'm easy....hahaha
So far, I charged it under fluorescent office lighting for ~ 2.5 hours. It's resting in a dark room now and I'll check it every couple of hours till 0600. I'll post on the results later.
A surprise to me is that I charged it with a Baby Pin and a Pelican rechargeable Stealthlight resting lens down and there was NO brighter areas indicated.
HUH???
Tom

wwglen

Enlightened

I think that after 5 min or so of bright florecent light the material is saturated, Additional light cannot be adsorbed.

After 30 sec - 1 min in the dark you WILL get a brighter spot from a flashlight pressed against the material.

I am happy -- just don't relly know what to do with 30+ feet. I am thinking of a combination of emergancy lighting and maybe some homed glowsticks (Roll up a 6" x 2" length around a wooden dowel and expost to light).

wwglen.

Greymage

Enlightened

Have you ever seen a shadow wall? It's basically a wall of glow in the dark material with a flash mounted on an opposing wall. You press a button and the flash fires a few seconds later, letting you and the kids pose for shadows on the wall.

It's a lot of fun to play with, great if you have a dark room in the house.