Arc4R2 Squishy switch (fix)

Status
Not open for further replies.

EmissionLine

Newly Enlightened
This is a different problem than the hard to push switch. Mine arrived feeling very rubbery and loose. Squishy. :) I took it apart and found that the plunger had slipped part way under a padding ring. Correcting the assembly problem made the switch feel better. Here's some pics

Note this does not fix the "hard to push" problem. I added the foil as suggested in another thread and it worked great.

sotto

Flashlight Enthusiast
Frankly, I think you deserve some kind of award for that series of pics. /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/thumbsup.gif

bobisculous

Flashlight Enthusiast
Yes indeed, nice pictures. But heres another quick question for you. When you are clickling the button, does the light turn on before you hear and feel the slight click? Or does the light turn on before the click is heard. Try pushing the button slowly. I think thats part of the problem with my Arc4, thanks
Cameron

But wait, are you sure thats correct order with the rubber gasket type thing behind the plunger in the switch? Mine came with the spring resting between the spring and the metal clip that holds the spring (?)

EmissionLine

Newly Enlightened
[ QUOTE ]
When you are clickling the button, does the light turn on before you hear and feel the slight click?

[/ QUOTE ]The amount of travel in my switch varies with how fresh the foil is. I really need to get a washer. Anyway... Seems like the light comes on as it bottoms out, and I hear a click when I let go. The light definitely doesn't come on before a click, at least with mine.

[ QUOTE ]
But wait, are you sure thats correct order

[/ QUOTE ]No, I'm not. That's one of the reasons I put up so many pics. I'm hoping someone can tell me if I have it right. It seems to work ok for me, but it's not as good as the rev1 switch.

DaveNagy

Newly Enlightened
I also have a question about those (great) pictures. I think you (EmissionLine) are missing a piece. It's a little bitty rubbery washer doohickey that goes (I think) in between the plunger and the spring retainer. I say "I think", because when I took mine apart the first time, this washer was half-within and half-below the spring retainer. I'm not being very clear, so let me describe the whole assembly in more detail:

The switch cap assembly contains the following pieces. (I'm just making up these names as I go.)

- The spring, which sits down into the four little prongs of the...
- Spring retainer, which sits on top of the...
- Rubber washer, which surrounds the the main shaft of the...
- Plunger, which just sits in the bottom of the...
- Button

Now like I said, I'm not sure if the rubber washer goes between the plunger and the spring retainer (that's where I have it now, and it works fine), or if it goes between the spring retainer and the spring. (I tried it that way and it didn't look like a good fit.)

My question is: Where does the rubber washer go, and why don't EmissionLine's pics show this part?

-Dave

EmissionLine

Newly Enlightened
Look at the "Disassembled switch" pic. Click to bring up the larger version and look inside the rubber cap. Is this the piece you're talking about? I forgot to take it out when I took the pics.

Now I'm not sure which way it goes... The metal plunger was halfway through it, so I just assumed the plunger went on top. But after reading the feedback, I reassembled so that it goes rubber cap / plunger / soft washer thingy / basket / spring and it seems slightly better that way. If that's correct, I need to change the pics before too many other people see it. Can anyone confirm?

ZuluWhiskeyFox

Enlightened
I have an arc4 classic and it doesn't have that rubber donut thingy in it. Having not seen a rev2 only these pics and read all the posts about the switch, I suspect that the rubber donut thingy should go into the cap before the alluminium plunger. My reasoning is this. It seems that arc has designed the rev2 to have more travel in the switch in an effort to protect the switch in the event of a drop. That rubber donut thingy would help absorb some of the impact forces, along with the added button travel.
Just a thought.

cheers,

DaveNagy

Newly Enlightened
[ QUOTE ]
EmissionLine said:
Look at the "Disassembled switch" pic. Click to bring up the larger version and look inside the rubber cap. Is this the piece you're talking about?

[/ QUOTE ]

Yes... It's hard to be sure, but I think I do see that washer/gasket thingie lying inside the cap/button in the picture you mention.

I'm no expert, but I'm pretty sure that's not the correct spot for it. Having a rubber washer in direct contact with a rubber cap doesn't seem to buy you much. Placing the washer around the shaft of the plunger seems to make the most sense to me, for what it's worth. This creates a cushion between the spring (assembly) and the plunger "base".

-Dave

ZuluWhiskeyFox

Enlightened
DaveN, That makes more sense then what I said earlier. I think I might try to incorperate some sort of facsimily for that donut thingy in my switch. As my classic doesn't have donut thingy.

DaveNagy

Newly Enlightened
And now, neither does my Rev. 2! /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/frown.gif

I took the tailcap apart last night to do my "glue fix" again. As I picked up the plunger + washer, it squirted out of my hand. I managed to catch the plunger before it hit the floor, but the rubber washer just vanished. It was like a magic trick. I looked for a good half hour with no luck. My best guess is that it fell through some sort of inter-dimensional rift. I hate when that happens.

Happily, once my latest Dab o'Glue(tm) dried and I reassembled the remaining pieces, the light works fine. Even with the Surefire battery. I suppose I really should send the light back for "service" before I do any more damage, but the idea of going without the light, not to mention the hassle of packing and shipping, just isn't appealing to me. I hope eventually there will be an option to have replacement pieces sent out.

-Dave

Status
Not open for further replies.