Chinese LEDs

TrueBlue

Flashlight Enthusiast
My brother in law just sent me an email. In the email he sent pictures of some interesting looking LED lights. I thought I would share the pictures. I think the 'Bowling Pin' light is interesting but my wife likes the cute little ones. Brother in law is sending a couple of each light to me for me to play with.

I just gave the lights cute names so I could tell them apart. As far as I know they do not have names and I don't know who makes them. I don't even know that much about them...just what I see in the pictures.

Does anyone else have pictures of lights made in China?

ENJOY!

china_lights_test.jpg

PEU

Flashlight Enthusiast
If you want to know 10's of china sources, log into www.alibaba.com and search for yourself.

If you're willing to pay for the shipping many companies will send you samples for free.

Just post your trade lead and wait a few days.

Most of the lights I saw where multiple led, only one manufactures luxeon based lights.

Enjoy

lightnix

Enlightened
Wow ! I just typed "LED" into the search field and it came up with 3008 (yes, three thousand and eight) items.

MWUHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHA

/ubbthreads/images/graemlins/faint.gif

PEU

Flashlight Enthusiast
you register at alibaba.com as a buyer, then post your requirement, which is called trade lead, and then the flood begins...

you may search using keywords as well.

enjoy /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/evilgrin07.gif

TrueBlue

Flashlight Enthusiast
"...and the flood begins..." That sounds scary. Does that mean I would get spammed...MORE?

PEU

Flashlight Enthusiast
no /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/smile.gif
Its not spam, they send their contact info, website etc.

I received about 30 mails once, since I receive more than 300 spams a day, thats is nothing...

enjoy

indenial

Enlightened
I've seen many of these lights on EBAY. Although they are often inexpensive (less than 10.00USD) the shipping charges are outrageous. I'd be interested in buying some for the right price (and shipping charge) in the event you decide to sell them, too. You've become the CPF's official "Chinese Connection"! /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/wink.gif

TrueBlue

Flashlight Enthusiast
I'll try to hold my head up high and proudly keep the faith with the honorary title of CPFs Mr. Chinese Connection. /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/wink2.gif

That 9 LED light at Golden Gadgets is pricey at $30 + shipping. I'm bettin' I can find a better price through the Chinese link.

Neg2LED

Flashlight Enthusiast
i think i'll give alibaba a shot, im in need of enameled wire, cases, leds, stuff like that, to make my JT run...

dougmccoy

Enlightened
I'm not wanting to offend anyone or nationality but IMHO most of the Chinese lights are poorly made and in most cases inferior quality to comparable American products. (Oh and yes I'm aware of how many electrical components are made and supplied to most of the western world by china!)
However, this doen't negate the fact that many of these lights are simply ripoffs of other folks ideas and innovations. Whilst some of them may appear cool, I doubt that many will last long in production and almost all will cease working within a year or two. Obviously if you are happy with that risk you pay your money and take your chances but I'm afraid these lights dont do anything for me.

Doug

E

Emilion

I've got some of these lights. Of cos they can never compare to those well-known-brand flashlights, but their prices are unbeatable....For just US6, one can have a 9 LED flashlight with a pouch and 2 X CR123 batteries. Those little keychains cost no more than US2.

They are good for general purpose usage, but just don't rely on them that much.

E

Emilion

[ QUOTE ]
haveblue said:
That 9 LED light at Golden Gadgets is pricey at $30 + shipping. I'm bettin' I can find a better price through the Chinese link.

[/ QUOTE ]

@__@ $30 !!
It's selling @ US$6~ in Hongkong......

PEU

Flashlight Enthusiast
Don't get too enthusiastic about alibaba, there you can find the bulk manufacturers of almost everything made in China, but they are NOT going to sell you 100 units for a group buy or similar, their orders start at about 5000 or so.

They are willing to send samples if you pay for the shipping.

The usual price I received for led lights is between 1 and 3.50 usd for the aluminum ones or the shakelights.

In some rare cases you can order around 100 units, but that is only they have ready made stock available, which is highly uncommon.

Cheers
Pablo

TrueBlue

Flashlight Enthusiast
I think the Chinese cater to a different market then what we are used to. The American manufacturers cater to an elitist crowd that impresses people with their "toys" to play with or a survivalist light built to last the final days of the world. Some of those American lights use harder to get batteries. Yes, American lights will survive a drop from two floors. The American light can be proudly displayed on an executive desk or out in the wilderness. For the price of an American light you don't dare lose it.

The Chinese make lights for the masses. Workable, useable, cheap to buy, cheap to run and no one cries if it gets lost. A secondary market for the inexpensive lights is for modders. I wouldn't dare take apart an expensive American light to mod for fear of scratching the light or ruining the electronics or ruining the value. On the other hand an expensive Chinese light like a Dorcy, yes, made it Taiwan, I have no problems in ripping into the light. If I break them I wouldn't cry too much at the $6 I lost.

I think of collecting LED lights as a hobby. If I can get a useable rare and/or unusual light for an inexpensive price I'm happy. I've collected cheap cameras too. Not for everyday use but to play with. I consider the Chinese lights in the same category of collecting.

Yes, the Chinese can make the light cheap. It is a poor country and the people want toys. They can make products cheaply. But the Chinese can also make quality products if the market demands it. Even sent to the US the Chinese prices can still undercut what American manufacturers do.

Think of where the LED flashlight market will be in 10 years and the Chinese are showing us what it will look like. I'll bet LED lights will be as common, cheap and sold everywhere. Like the electronic calculator, VCRs, CD and DVD players these lights are going to be cheap everyday items. Probably most American light manufacturers will die out with their expensive products. Dory has seen the light (bad pun) and has jumped on the cheap LED lights to their advantage.

The Chinese manufacture a lot and can build quality items.

UnknownVT

Flashlight Enthusiast
[ QUOTE ]
haveblue said:That 9 LED light at Golden Gadgets is pricey at $30 + shipping. I'm bettin' I can find a better price through the Chinese link.

[/ QUOTE ]

I sincerely hope so, since as someone said it's only $6 in Hong Kong....

Just so there is no misunderstanding between us - in NO way did I post to suggest that the light should be purchase elsewhere at a more advantageous price - it was just that the 'bowling pin' light was so unique looking that I knew I had seen it somewhere before.

dougmccoy

Enlightened
Haveblue,

We agree on one fact that the Chinese manufacture their products for a different market. However,( and I dont want to run off thread too much) the facts are that their manufacturing costs and manufacturing methods are very low. Chinese labour rates and manufacturing costs are incredibly cheap compared to those in the West and they do not adhere to the normal environmental concerns about pollution from such processes. Accordingly they are quickly able to adapt and change product designs without the same costs as Western manufactures.
As for quality, well they can and do make many of the electrical components used by household names in the computer industry. However, these companies specify the design and quality standards which are required for their own products. Hardly a case for saying that the Chinese themselves make quality products is it?
I agree, that for modders, the cheap purchase costs can mean acceptable hosts for their own creations but I am still not impressed.

Regards

Doug