LED M-Mag TailCap

funk

Enlightened
Posted elsewhere, but thought I should post it as own topic.

It is a tail cap replacement that has 2 LEDs - one Red and one White. It turns and replaces the standard on/off of the mini mag - so it has 3 positions - halogen bulb, Red Led and white LED - all controlled through the tail cap -pic's below.

Haven't seen it in the US - has anyone else?

Manufactured in Germany - so high price tag - 35.00.

outtec2.jpg

outtec1.jpg

lightlover

Flashlight Enthusiast
FUNK !!!!!
wink.gif

Where do I get one ?

A link for more info please !

It's only $$'s, after all ......

Lite-Lover
smile.gif
grin.gif
wink.gif
shocked.gif

(Anyone else interested in Mini-Mag info, check the index - suddenly, topics are everywhere)

Chris M.

Flashlight Enthusiast
Well, I just ordered one. Hope it`s OK- I wonder how the LEDs are driven. The white will be quite dim off the MiniMag`s 2 AA cells if there isn`t an inverter in there.
No idea how long it will take to arrive- but I`m willing to try (almost) everything. Coupled with the fact that I just bought my first Mini-Mag today (yes until now I have never had one), well I had to didn`t I?

A review page will appear within 3 days of me getting the thing, but I`ll probably stick a load of pics up here on the day.

tongue.gif

Chris M.

Flashlight Enthusiast
It arrived this morning- I wasn`t expecting it so soon either, and I am fairly well impressed...

<center>
outtec.jpg
</center>

I was a little worried that it wouldn`t be very good- but don`t worry for it is. It fits the AA cell MiniMag very well, and when tightened on, it won`t unscrew while turning it to switch between modes. Knurling makes it easier to screw on and turn too.

<center>
outtecandmag.jpg
</center>

Very solidly built, the turn-action switch is smooth with a "click" between each position. It doesn`t come with its own battery spring- you have to use the one from the Mag`s tail cap, but it fits in there quite well. I didn`t get it in right the first time so it flickered a bit to begin with, but putting it straight cured that minor mishap
smile.gif
A nice thing I thought, was the fact that there is still a space to store a spare Mag bulb- I thought its internal workings would have meant this was lost, but no- your spare still has a home.

How does it work then? Well simply, fit it in place of the Mag`s tail cap, and turn it to select modes. The Mag head acts as the on/off switch- when the LEDs are used, current flows through the bulb (low enough not to light it) so you need an intact bulb or it won`t work. With the "tuner" in the anticlockwise position, the normal Mag bulb lights with no noticeable reduction in brightness- but I wasn`t expecting any. It acts like it wasn`t there.
Turn the "tuner" to the centre position and you get the white LED. There must be an inverter in there as it`s actually quite bright. Not AAA-Arc standards but it is a bit brighter than my Infinity (perhaps 7 candela?) so probably perfectly useable as a long burn time, low output lamp- though I`ll have to wait till after dark to take beam comparison shots and have a general play with it to see how well it does.
Turn all the way clockwise and you get the red LED- this was a little dissapointing, I was expecting it to be brighter than the white (they usually are) but it is dimmer- and has a few rings too. But- for night vision preserving applications it is ideal as it won`t dazzle you and the beam is wider than the white so it`s good up close. Again, night will have to come before I know exactly how well it does.

<center>
outteclit.jpg
</center>

An interesting feature is that as you turn between the white and red positions, in the middle both will light- and happlily stay there too. Not sure what applications you would need both for, but it`s there all the same. Unfortunately you can`t have the Mag bulb and an LED together.

I havn`t metered it yet to see how much power is drawn. I`d expect the red to take less power than the white- stay tuned, I`ll do this before long as soon as my meter`s test leads surface....now where`d they get to....

Things I didn`t like. Well it is not anodised or coated in any way- just plain aluminum. Looks OK at the moment but it will inevitably tarnish a bit and lose its shine. And the bare silver doesn`t match my blue Mag so it stands out a bit as being "not right"- it would have been nice to offer them in matching anodised colours. Perhaps they are planning to do this in the future? I`ll have to get in touch and ask.
Also, a suction-test showed it wasn`t waterproof (air leaked in round the LEDs so water will do so too)- but keep it way from the streams and seas and you`ll be fine. Pity really, since the MiniMag is water resistant normally. It should be fine in light rain, but don`t hold it LEDs upward for too long.

Overall, a nice little accessory- it gives a reasonable light and extends the versatility of the MiniMag. It is solidly built, the LEDs are deeply recessed away from harm and it won`t afect normal operation of the main Mag beam when required. The two different colour LEDs are handy to have and it doesn`t add to the weight or bulk too much. Your Mag grows by about an inch in length though which some may not like, but it`s like carrying 3 flashlights in one so I`m not complaining.

I`ll write a full review when I get the chance (well there`s a lot to do here besides the 30+ other flashlights and the rest of the site too, so it`ll be a while) but a preliminary page will show on my LED section within 3 days.

grin.gif
tongue.gif

Chris M.

Flashlight Enthusiast
OK, well my testing of this neato little gadget will have to be suspended since the f@$%£#ng thing decided to roll onto the floor while I was trying to meter its power draw- and the battery contact spring promptly vanished
mad.gif
. No idea where it`s got to, can`t find it anywhere. Anyone got a spare AA mini mag spring they wish to donate to science? No? OK, I`ll get back under the bench and carry on searching. Well, gives me a chance to try out some of the lights here awaiting review.

And will you look- now it looks like NTL have broken all my pictures too
mad.gif

Things aren`t going right for me this evening.

rolleyes.gif
rolleyes.gif

Size15's

Flashaholic
My friend's NTL DSL connection is down at the moment (he's not a happy bunny)

Good Luck finding that spring... I've lost things in places you'd think you just couldn't loose anything.

When you find it, I bet it's in the last place you'll look.
rolleyes.gif

Mighty fine photos by the way!

Al

Chris M.

Flashlight Enthusiast
After a load of grubbing round under the bench looking for that damn spring.....I still havn`t found it. I actually searched most of the floor in this desperately overcrowded untidy room, in all the places it could be and some it couldn`t too. No luck.

But I did find an "equivalent" spring, salvaged from a broken battey holder so after a slight reshaping, it`s in there and working just fine. I`ll keep looking for that proper one but there isn`t the rush that there used to be, to do so.

It seems that my entire image-host-webspace directory has been deleted. All the files- of all my recently posted pics here and on the bulb board too that were served on it- are gone. Maddening- Craig I now know how you felt when your LED museum files were being nuked a while back. Anyway, let`s see if I can upload those ones up there again ^^ and some new ones too....

....done. So far so good.

Here`s the beam profiles- white and red, at the full iris setting with no auto-gain (remember it`s a dodgy video system here not a real camera)...

<center>
outtecbeam1.jpg
outtecbeam2a.jpg
</center>

The red one is dimmer than the white although not as pathetic as seen here, let me turn the AGC on full so you can see its shape...

<center>
outtecbeam2b.jpg
</center>

The grainyness is just caused by the camera`s gain system- it`s less sensitive to the red end of the spectrum than it is to the blue end.

A couple of comparisons-

<center>
outtecvsarcaaa.jpg
outtecwhitevsinfinity.jpg
</center>

My white Arc-AAA looks like a slightly dimmer-than-normal unit, though still perfectly presentable. It looks about 2.5-3x as bright as the Out-Tec unit in reality. The Infinity is maybe 3/4 as bright as the Out-Tec.

Numbers? OK. Peak Beam Candelas- white LED, 7000mcd. Red LED, 1600mcd though its beam is 2x as wide overall.

Current draw @ about 3 volts (barely used new AAs)- MagLite bulb, 308mA. White LED- 41.5mA. Red LED- 58.5mA- this really surprised me as it`s so dim. Must be a poor type of LED and just connected directly to the 3 volts of batteries, using the Mag bulb as a resistor. The white is definately the best choice- it`s got a fairly good inverter in there and may even out-burn an Infinity. Long term testing is underway, though I won`t do a continuous burn test as batteries are expensive and such tests aren`t 100% accurate in reflecting normal usage.

Seems good so far- too bad it`s so well made cos I havn`t found a way to take it apart without damage- and I`m sort of tempted to swap out that feeble red LED for something with a little more of a kick (Toshiba orange ones are good), after my testing was done.

Watch my LED review section for its page appearing soon. Advance apologies if these pics dissapear too- my guess was server troubles nuked it all and who knows if it`ll return, though I will probably never know exactly what happened- their technical support is dire. It`s for free though so I`m not complaining (much)

Just hearing on the radio there`s yet another evil virus spreading worldwide through web sites- maybe that`s what happened? Hope not. I hate virus writers more than I hate flickering flashlights and Times New Roman.

Enough waffle now
shocked.gif

tongue.gif

Chris M.

Flashlight Enthusiast
My friend's NTL DSL connection is down at the moment (he's not a happy bunny)

I could never afford DSL- it`s plain old slooooow 28.8 here
frown.gif
. I can imagine how p***ed he is though, my line drops out for a few hours and I get worried.
Well my PC is made from assorted bits, most at least 5 years old, and it`s tempremental to say the least. No spare parts either. Some days I wonder if it will even come back on the next morning
blush.gif

Good Luck finding that spring... I've lost things in places you'd think you just couldn't loose anything. When you find it, I bet it's in the last place you'll look.

I`ve given up for now. The hunt resumes tomorrow- I desperately need to clear out some stuff from up here. There`s enough piled in this one room to fill probably 3 "normal" rooms
shocked.gif
. Looks kind of like Craig`s earthquake photos after it had struck, only we don`t get earthquakes here
tongue.gif

rolleyes.gif

Quickbeam

Flashlight Enthusiast
<BLOCKQUOTE><font size="1" face="Verdana, Arial">quote:</font><HR>Originally posted by Chris M.:
I could never afford DSL- it`s plain old slooooow 28.8 here
frown.gif
<HR></BLOCKQUOTE>

You're lucky! I don't even have an internet connection! In fact my whole family had to live in a shoebox in the middle of the road! We had to get up 2 hours before we went to bed just to pay the factory owner to work at his factory for 26 hours a day! Ummm...Oh... Sorry, I just had a "Python" moment....
grin.gif
grin.gif
grin.gif

Suggestion: use a large magnet to look for the spring - Great for finding dropped pins or needles, too!
DP

Chris M.

Flashlight Enthusiast
A fellow Python fan! How cool is that? OK I can`t recite the scripts word for word but I`m usually quite drunk while watching.

Favourite Python moment- the Knights who say "NI!!!" in the Holy Grail film.

Now where was I? Oh yeah...

Suggestion: use a large magnet to look for the spring - Great for finding dropped pins or needles, too!

This one big enough?

<center>
bigassmagnet.jpg
</center>

Picked up every steel object down there except the damned spring.
I reckon it slipped through a micro-worm-hole and is now somewhere in the middle of the Delta Quadrant
shocked.gif

Or have I been watching too much Star Trek....

rolleyes.gif
tongue.gif

sodakar

Newly Enlightened
Very neat -- I like it!

...but I'm not too happy about the $35 price tag. That's pretty pricey, considering the Mini-MAG itself is only $9...
frown.gif

I suppose this would be the do-it-all catastrophe flashlight that would keep me going for a few days, in case San Francisco gets another earthquake... MAGLite for getting around the house, and the LED's for close-quarter work...

...but the price!!
mad.gif

$9 vs $44 (total cost)... somehow I don't think the light will be 5 times more useful with the LED lights.

...yeah, I'll probably get one anyway... LOL.
tongue.gif

Chris M.

Flashlight Enthusiast
Over here in Expensive-Land (UK) mini-Mags are nearer $20 equivalent, so it`s not so bad considering that. LED flashlights are virtually unheard of here too and those few obscure places that do have them are more costly than their US counterparts. And it is like having 3 flashlights in one, being more versatile as you point out. Too bad the LEDs aren`t brighter, but for low output long burntime lamps, they`re ideal.

tongue.gif

The_LED_Museum

*Retired*
<BLOCKQUOTE><font size="1" face="Verdana, Arial">quote:</font><HR>Originally posted by Chris M.:
Well my PC is made from assorted bits, most at least 5 years old, and it`s tempremental to say the least. No spare parts either. :<HR></BLOCKQUOTE>

Gosh... sounds a lot like my system.
My garbage dog computer (as I call it) is just an assemblage of otherwise loose & rescued parts. And until last winter, no part was newer than 7-10 years old.
Like that robot on Andromeda that "consensused" from a collection of old parts floating around doing nothing.

I`ve given up for now. The hunt resumes tomorrow- I desperately need to clear out some stuff from up here. There`s enough piled in this one room to fill probably 3 "normal" rooms
shocked.gif
. Looks kind of like Craig`s earthquake photos after it had struck, only we don`t get earthquakes here.
<HR></BLOCKQUOTE>

Are you *sure* we're not related in some distant way?
I'm always losing my test leads, dropping springs & LEDs never to see them again, and have enough stuff in a 20 square foot area to fill a couple of regular rooms.
Not to mention all of the flashlights, dead batteries, flashlight packages (mostly those who's instructions & warranty info are on the package itself), rolls of electrical tape, telephones, UPS and USPS boxes (some filled with ghost turds & bubble wrap), spec sheets, meters & meter leads, lenses, bags of LEDs, pouches, laser tubes, receipt books, light bulbs, styrofoam cups, and other assorted sundry items that end up in this area in some manner because of the website.

mess1.jpg

After I repaired my quake-damaged macro video setup, I virtually had to take a broom and sweep the piles of {vulgar term for feces} off the table so I could see the screen!
blush.gif

If I took a picture of my "work area" now, it would look like Seismic Sam dumped hot pipe ashes in his favorite chair again!
shocked.gif

Anyway, to put this train back on its tracks... that Mag tailcap thing looks pretty groovy. Too bad though that if the regular bulb gets broken, the LEDs will also quit.
frown.gif

Size15's

Flashaholic
You can't beat an old Speaker magnet! I've got some stuck to a metal notice board in the kitchen. Great for keeping "piles" of paper stuff attached to the wall. I'm never quite sure why we do this. Maybe because the magnets are so strong, that we can?

Yes, here in the UK, MagLights are not cheap. They are considered the "best" over the plastic (I'm not talking Pelican, UKE or StreamLight etc) plastic £5 rubbish you can buy.

It's just a shame the lamp in the MagLight needs to be in working order to use the LEDs...

Al