• You must be a Supporting Member to participate in the Candle Power Forums Marketplace.

You can become a Supporting Member.

Sold/Expired FS: L1-PR-T 917 HA-Nat *SOLD*

McGizmo

Flashaholic
Hi guys,

I have a L1-PR-T 917 HA-Nat mod for sale. In the spirit of full disclosure, this light was sent to another CPFer and returned to me due to some artifacts in the corona. The light has a very bright TW0J but as has been the case in others of these LED's, there are some artifacts. My EDC is a bit worse than this sample but I have found that in use, I never notice the artifacts. However, on an even colored and even textured surface, outside of the spot beam, you can see a yellow and violet flare. This light is in new condition and I am asking $250 for it. If you want it, please stake your claim here and e-mail me with your mailing address and CPF name. Thanks for looking.

lambda

Flashlight Enthusiast
Re: FS: L1-PR-T 917 HA-Nat

Hey, isn't there a CPF rule about not posting interesting stuff without pictures? /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/rant.gif

McGizmo

Flashaholic

/ubbthreads/images/graemlins/tongue.gif Ok, well it looks just like this one but the HA color on the head is a better match to the SF:

L1-PR-T.jpg

And while I'm at it here's a beam shot too!

L1-PR-T-Beam.jpg

The light has 2x123 in a bored out L1 body. The resistor in the tail switch has been changed to 75 ohms and the PR-T head has been modified with a shortened E-can to allow the batteries the room they need.

McGizmo

Flashaholic

Oops,

My friend the big turtle snuck in there with a post. The /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/tongue.gif was for Lambda and not Big Honu. /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/smile.gif

BigHonu

Flashlight Enthusiast
Re: FS: L1-PR-T 917 HA-Nat *SOLD*

[ QUOTE ]
McGizmo said:
Sold to:

turtle-3-6-A.jpg

[/ QUOTE ]

Paypal sent!

Thanks Don! /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/buttrock.gif /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/bowdown.gif

BigHonu

Flashlight Enthusiast

I got the L1-PR-T-NAT today and I could not be more impressed! The design and execution is so well done that this could easily pass for a normal SF product! The luminous output in terms of volume as well as beam pattern is EXACTLY what I was looking for in a light of this size. Having grown up with focused dive lights with gigantic reflectors, I must admit that he throw is truly impressive for the diminutive PR-T. This light will not only see daily carry, but immediately replace my E2E as part of my night-fishing light-package. The spread between the Hi and Low settings is well done and I find myself comparing it to the A2 in utility.

Thank you very much!

Brian

McGizmo

Flashaholic

Brian,

I'm glad you got the light and like it! /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/smile.gif I've had some great feedback on this mod and I'm glad as it reinforces my personal perceptions of this design and makes be feel that beyond any bias I might have, this package can provide some real utility.

After using one of these quite a bit, I decided to commit some significant time and money into a two stage mod for the E series LOTC tail cap. Although this mod is likely not as elegant as the L1/A2 switch, it will allow for considerably more options on batteries and heads in addition to the PR-T 917 and it will be more afordable as well as more available, or at least that is the hope and plan.

Regarding the PR's beam pattern, it is just about ideal, IMHO for a compromise beam to cover the greatest range of possible illumination needs. More often than not, I fnd I need a flood beam for inclose work. The small diameter and sharp edge of the spot beam from the PR allows me to use just the flood portion and keep the spot out of the area of interest.When the target is at any distance, the spot has the concentration required for illumination and the flood is powerful enough to give indication of the terrain in the forground and surrounds. Not optimized for a specific distance or target size, I find the PR to be ideal for multi purpose and unanticipated illumination needs with a great range of viable, if not ideal, illumination. I think a smaller reflector diameter, like the Arc4 or the KL4 with a Lux III does a better job in the mid ranges but is too intense in close with the larger spot that is harder to isolate from the flood. The smaller reflector is also not capable of concentrating the beam enough to be as effective at the more distant targets. I have now had the chance to try the KL5 and KL6 reflectors with a Lux III and they surpass the PR at medium-long to long range ilumination at the expense of close in and wider coverage. One thing that keeps amazing me is the range that the spot beam is capable of on the low level! With some ambient light, I have found that the low level spot can illuminate areas of complete darkness while the low level flood doesn't blind you with its return from refletive objects closer at hand.

Oops, I see I got a bit carried away here! /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/blush.gif

BigHonu

Flashlight Enthusiast

[ QUOTE ]
McGizmo said:
[...]Regarding the PR's beam pattern, it is just about ideal, IMHO for a compromise beam to cover the greatest range of possible illumination needs. More often than not, I fnd I need a flood beam for inclose work. The small diameter and sharp edge of the spot beam from the PR allows me to use just the flood portion and keep the spot out of the area of interest.When the target is at any distance, the spot has the concentration required for illumination and the flood is powerful enough to give indication of the terrain in the forground and surrounds. Not optimized for a specific distance or target size, I find the PR to be ideal for multi purpose and unanticipated illumination needs with a great range of viable, if not ideal, illumination. I think a smaller reflector diameter, like the Arc4 or the KL4 with a Lux III does a better job in the mid ranges but is too intense in close with the larger spot that is harder to isolate from the flood. The smaller reflector is also not capable of concentrating the beam enough to be as effective at the more distant targets. [...]One thing that keeps amazing me is the range that the spot beam is capable of on the low level! With some ambient light, I have found that the low level spot can illuminate areas of complete darkness while the low level flood doesn't blind you with its return from refletive objects closer at hand.

Oops, I see I got a bit carried away here! /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/blush.gif

[/ QUOTE ]

This is exactly my experience. Since I was always used to using lights with intense spots and miild coronas I have grown accustomed to using lights as you have mentioned. While I do agree with your assesment of the reflector in the Arc4, I do think that the light gains back its near field utility by just cranking down the power a bit. Your mod is a true performer at almost any distance (and, as you said, even the low setting is very usefull at distances that may suprise some), and am looking to secure more of these heads in the future.

ALOHA

Brian

McGizmo

Flashaholic

Brian,

I stand corrected on the Arc4. Of course you are right and with its multi stage, it is most excellent for all light levels and distances out to it range limits in terms of distance. I was think about the reflector size and beam distribution when I lumped it in with the KL4 reflector and did not account for dialing down the level as you can with the Arc4.