Indoor rainbows!

Wylie

Enlightened
Hi folks, /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/wink2.gif
I don't know if it has come up before but I have found a pretty cool use for those AOL and botched compact discs we all end up with. I have vertical blinds where I am living now and they work well with this lighting application that throws rainbows on the ceiling that move across the room as the sun moves across the sky.
It's real simple and looks way cool if you ask me. Take those discs that you do not want any longer and just put them up in your windowsills where the sun shines in. Yep that's it! /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/wink.gif
The next place I move to should be pretty wild looking after I set up some horizontal rom-disc blinds in combination with some Mylar backed vertical blinds as well. I've been thinking /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/thinking.gif about this and this application could very well be a way of directing heat coming through the windows up into returns for HVAC systems. Besides this the reflection of light will work to an extent to redirect heat back through the window to the outdoors to conserve energy costs if the Mylar verticals are closed and the ROM horizontals are set up at the right angle.
I've only done this with single paned glass and do not know what double or gas filled double panes may do with the spectrums of light.

/ubbthreads/images/graemlins/wink.gif,
Wylie

Oops! I forgot to mention that if any of you have any ROM discs you would like to get rid of I am taking all I can get my hands on. The place I have planned to move to next has a lot of windows and I should be able to make a bunch of indoor rainbows. /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/grin.gif

AlphaTea

Enlightened
[ QUOTE ]
Wylie said:
...Oops! I forgot to mention that if any of you have any ROM discs you would like to get rid of I am taking all I can get my hands on...

[/ QUOTE ]

I hope you dont regret saying that... /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/ooo.gif

Wylie

Enlightened
No morries I mean I got a lot of windows.
I just took some pics of my dancing rainbows because we have a little breeze here today. /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/grin.gif
Hang out I'll be right back back with the pics. /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/thumbsup.gif
I'm back! /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/smile.gif
f8dc17b4.jpg

/ubbthreads/images/graemlins/buttrock.gif

Wylie

Enlightened
Nobody likes rainbows?

/ubbthreads/images/graemlins/icon23.gif /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/jpshakehead.gif /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/frown.gif

/ubbthreads/images/graemlins/icon3.gif,
Wylie

lightnix

Enlightened
I like rainbows

Ooo nice. I do a similar thing with about a dozen cut glass crystals hanging in a south facing window. Flat, teardrop shaped ones are best, open the windows and they start to spin slowly. Spring and Autumn are best, because the sun is at a lower angle, so the rainbows get thrown onto the walls. Walk into the room on a sunny day and it's like being surrounded by a rainbow galaxy /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/grinser2.gif

Wylie

Enlightened
Re: I like rainbows

Thanks for the reply, that sounds really nice lightnix.
I just sent a couple emails off today to people who recycle CDs to see if they would be interested in recycling through me and what I have planned to do with them.
The property I plan to move to in Idaho was a government funded research project in the 60s granted to an artist from U.C. Berkley. The deal was he was working on a way to heat and cool buildings through an unconventional manner. The place is going to take a lot of work to make nice but I figure I could do it in a fashion that would be becoming of the history of the property.
It really should be something to see when I get it finished.