PELICAN M6 LED Flashlight - are they any good?

DOCSMYNAME

Newly Enlightened
penTHrox,
The pelican M6 led has been a well accepted light here on the boards. Check out the review section and search for pelican M6 led. I like mine very much, and do not hesitate in recommending it for purchase.
DOC

CaseyTan

Newly Enlightened
i don't own one, but from the review, it's great ! /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/smile.gif

and if you do a search in the forums, you will be able to find good comments on this light.

AUD$102 is rather expensive i say, try ordering from BatteryStation, US$45 + US$8 international shipping.

tkl

Flashlight Enthusiast
I'll second batterystation. The PM6 led is an awesome light and throws very far. Not alot of sidespill, so if you like flood it may not be for you.

Bill.H

Enlightened
EVERYTHING I have read on this light has been very positive. I was about to order one when ElektroLumens announced the XM2 - pretty much the same but with a Lux III for about the same price (at the pre-sale price). That comes this week, I hope one of our reviewers can test one soon. I'm very interested in how they compare.

And I agree Batterystation is the way to go.

richpalm

Banned
That's a third for Batterystation. /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/thumbsup.gif

I'm crazy about this light-been carrying quite a bit. IMO has nice intense hotspot, excellent throw-Pelican reflector is the best-and sidespill while not super bright is wide and'll keep you from falling on your face. I used mine to read street signs from the car.

No hint of green whatsoever. Very white compared alongside my McGizmo heads and Longbow. Highly recommended!

Rich

inluxication

Newly Enlightened
A 4th for the good price and service at Batterystation, and and n-th saying that the PM6 LED gives a superbly even, white, bright beam. I wish it were regulated, but it's great just the same. An exceptionally nice light at a pretty low price.

inluxication

Newly Enlightened
Rich,

Which Longbow do you have? I am tempted by the Micra and to a lesser degree the Mini. I signed up for the pass-around, but since I have the M6 LED, any comparisons you could make would be most interesting. You mentioned beam color a bit; what about beam evenness, width, hotspot brightness, overall light output -- anything and everything, really.

Thanks,
Greg

mrsinbad

Enlightened
I'll be the fifth to say that I love my PM6 LED that I got from Kevin at batterystation.com. Wonderful light, great quality/workmanship, nice beam pattern, smooth beam, etc. Use to read house #'s from the car to pick up my kids from play dates.

Eric_M

Enlightened
I think the M6 is one of the best LED purchases for the money all things considered.

luxlover

Banned
I agree with Eric 100%, but I would be doing this community a disservice if I didn't write my heart out. Below are things I discovered in the last two months of M6 ownership....

Since the lens up front is plastic, and plastic prevents some of the light from the reflector from bouncing out of the front, I highly recommend a glass lens as a replacement for both durability and more complete transmission of light. Flashlightlens.Com sells a 29.1mm glass lens, that is anti-reflective (AR) coated on both sides, in either a 1.2mm or 2mm thickness. The theory is that uncoated glass reflects some of the light emitted from a reflector or optic, back to the source. This light cannot be recovered. With an AR coated lens, most of the light passes through the lens and goes out the front. This is what we want from all of our LED light sources.

The reflector, although it looks the same as any other one, is probably the best component in the M6. They are used in modifications of lights that can accept this size. The coating is somewhat dimpled, to smooth out irregularities in a light's output. It is deeper than most reflectors of this size. Of course, an LED has very few artifacts compared to an incandescent lamp such as is used in the M6 Lithium light.

Those who want to get the current version with the rotating head for fine tuning the beam, better do so fast. The next round of the M6 will have a fixed head. Since the beam pattern can be adjusted in the current version, one can see a difference in the light when the bezel is turned from one extreme to another. You won't see a big difference. But play with it to get it right for your needs.

Although the hard anodizing is industrial grade and not Mil-Spec type III, it is a tough finish. So what if you can't cut through concrete, with it at the end of a jackhammer!!! Just use it as a lighting device, and you will be fine.

The tailcap switch is a clicky with "momentary-on" and "stay-on" functions. Even the feel of the switch can be adjusted for a lighter or heavier touch, by rotating the tailcap in or out. I was advised not to turn the tailcap all the way in. In this position, the brass rod pressing against the battery's negative terminal is exerting the greatest force on the battery case, and if the light is dropped on it's end, the rod could conceivable dent or puncture the battery's thin wall. Yes, batteries have thin walls to save on the cost of metal. So adjust it the way you want, but make sure that it is backed out a little.

With regards to the human touch, the bezel and tailcap have an octagonal shape, to prevent it from rolling away into someone elses hands, and the middle of the body has a very fine diamond knurl pattern, to help you grip it. The Cordura holster with a strong snapping clasp, as well as the supplied two CR123 batteries, don't hurt either.

I cannot imagine anybody not liking this light for it's quality, features, and low price. It is not a lightweight, but it is worth "hauling" around with you.

Luxlover out!