Tec40 Bulb Questions...

Mundele

Newly Enlightened
I just got a Tec40 and am very impressed with this light. I swapped the stock bulb for one from a 3D maglite and it is even brighter, but it does get warm, and that worries me. That brings me to my question. What is the best (brightest) bulb that I can put in this flashlight without risking melting the reflector or lens, and keeping the flashlight fairly reliable? I will be using alkalines or maybe NIMH batteries.

I did some searching on CPF about swapping bulbs and saw several recommendations for KPR103 and XPR103 bulbs, but a few posts later I saw postings about blowing bulbs. Does anyone have experience with these?

I saw one post that recommended a 4D maglite bulb. What is the difference between a 4D and a 3D maglite bulb?

Thanks for the help...

--Matt

4x4Dragon

Flashlight Enthusiast
you are correct, most people run a KRP103(supposively more reliable than the XPR). or you can just keep the stock bulb and use lithiums.

Mundele

Newly Enlightened
Are there any heat problems with it? Will I melt my reflector? How is battery life compared to the stock one?

louie

Flashlight Enthusiast
I use 3 cell lamps from M*g or Eveready and NiMH. That makes up most of the brightness from the lower voltage of NiMH. For lithium or alkalines, I like the stock (HPM50?) lamp for a balance of runtime/bulb life/brightness. The 3 cell lamps and alkalines/lithiums do run hot, but I have not seen any evidence of damage within a half hour or so. The worse part is bulb life can be pretty short.

Some bulbs are a bit longer than others and can hit the inside of the lens, with some people reporting melting and alignment problems. Check carefully.

fivebyfive

Enlightened
I have used the kpr103 in the pt-40 without any problems. It will not melt your reflector and I couldn't tell the difference in heat. You just need to remember to run down the batteries a little before you use it with a 3 cell bulb, or else it might blow the bulb the first time you turn it on. Battery life is shorter, but from what I can tell not that much shorter than the standard bulb.

PlayboyJoeShmoe

Flashaholic
After running mine stock for a while, I tried a KPR103. For maybe 30 total minutes (at a few at a time) I had an awesomely bright light! Then one time poof.

So then I did Nimh batteries (with some aluminum foil folded down under the batts) and KPR103.

But since I don't use the TEC 40 all the time, I changed to Alkaline Rayovacs and a M*g Xenon Star 4cell bulb. Nice brightness, pretty safe against poof, a good all around compromise.

illumiGeek

Enlightened
I've run the Mag Xenon Star 4 cell and Lithiums without problems. Impressive brightness, and very light weight. I recently started using the 3 cell Xenon Star with NiMh. Very bright! I was expecting the lamp to flash pretty quickly, but it lasted through several charge cycles. On my 2nd lamp now, and so far so good. The Xenon Star lamps produce a tighter, brighter hot spot and more throw than Halogen or Krypton lamps.

I was running my 3 cell XS/NiMh config last weekend while camping and there were lots of 3D and 4D Mags around, and several cheap 6V lantern grip "spotlights". The Tec40 blew them all away. Had a few "that's a really bright light" comments - then I'd give 'em the old Crocodile Dundee, "What, this little thing. That's not a light [whip out the UK Light Cannon] this is a light". /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/grin.gif

Mundele

Newly Enlightened
I got a couple of KPR103 bulbs and have been VERY impressed with it. The alkaline batteries I'm using aren't brand new so that might have helped prevent the "poof" as you were saying... Thanks for the advice guys!!

Now, what Princeton Tec light do I need next? I like the Tec40 so much I am looking for a reason to buy another one from them.

--Matt

nikon

Flashlight Enthusiast
I had the Mag 3 cell Krypton in my Tec 40 but was worried about bulb life, so I switched to the Mag Star Xenon 4 cell today and found it to be equally bright. I guess I'll have to try the 3 cell Star just to prove that I'm a genuine flashaholic, but the brightness with the 4 cell bulb is all any sane person really needs.

Gasguy

Newly Enlightened
I have been using this light at work for approx 15-45 min. daily for about 1 1/2 years. I use nimh & 3 cell mag krypton. If you want reliability use a 4 cell bulb either mag or PT. Ya just never know when the thing will poof with the 3-cell. Try a Blast or rage for a bright small light.

rookie

Enlightened
What's the best and cheapest place to get some Magnum Xenon Star bulbs?

Jumi

Enlightened
I have also been very impressed the lightoutput, I'm using hpr53 halogen which is 4V and 0.85A with nimhs. I had to file nipple a littlebit otherwise it melts the lens. I have that smooth reflector version so it really throws far, beam is oval and not very beautiful but very white.

I also tried mag4cell xenon with alkalines but it wasn't as bright, would be nice with lithiums but they cost too much in here.

How many cycles does mag3cell xenon last?

I have blown only two bulb so far and the first was my mistake since the cells were too fresh from the charger. Second bulb went when I turn on light which had been in a cold car few nights( -20 degrees Celsius). I now run the cells in another flaslight for few minutes to drop the voltage and doesn't keep it in cold.
The bulb has now 4-5 cycles and it's not clear anymore. It has orange and brown burning marks in it.
I got those halogens for a $ a piece so it is pretty economical light to run /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/grinser2.gif

Juha

illumiGeek

Enlightened
[ QUOTE ]
nikon said:
...but the brightness with the 4 cell bulb is all any sane person really needs.

[/ QUOTE ]

If you're looking for sanity, you're in the wrong place. /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/grinser2.gif

illumiGeek

Enlightened
Update: I just swapped my NiMh cells for another set off the charger, and the 3 cell XS flashed. First lamp lasted through several charge cycles; 2nd one flashed on 2nd cycle.

Not sure if I got lucky with the first lamp, or unlucky with the 2nd.

I'm out of 3 Cell Xenon Stars at the moment ( /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/jpshakehead.gif I know, I'm so ashamed /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/jpshakehead.gif ) so further testing will have to wait.

PlayboyJoeShmoe

Flashaholic
Xenon Stars aren't even as common (which wasn't all THAT common) as a few months ago when I could find them at Home Depot, Sears Hardware, or Academy. Now I only KNOW I can go get them at Ace Hardware, at a higher price! (and not neccesarily any higher than 4 cell....

What's a poor boy to do?

illumiGeek

Enlightened
Really? I'm pretty sure Home Depot here still has 'em. But only 2/3/4 cell. Ace has the 5 & 6, but at twice the price of Home Depot.

Warric

Newly Enlightened
i've been searching for mag-num star xenon in Singapore, but i can't find it. i went to my near-by DIY store, and i found this bulb, Pelican 242 MityLite 4AA Xenon Lamp. the bulb looks like mag star, but a little smaller. it's a PR base. it give a very smooth and white laser-like beam, with no artifacts. much better than the stock halofen bulb. it has a runtime of around 3.5hrs per set of batts. i'm really very happy with this bulb.