TigerLight Upgrade Offerings (summary)

js

Flashlight Enthusiast
This is not a signup or B/S/T thread. This thread is meant to provide information about the mods.

This is a SUMMARY thread only! Please do not offer suggestions for changes or substitutions or reasons why you won't be buying one of these offerings or why you like something else better. I encourage you to post these sorts of comments in "The TigerLight Upgrade Thread" where I will welcome them and respond if appropriate. The whole point of this thread is to eliminate superfluous and repeat postings, not to multiply them.

First of all, all of these offerings are "Turn-Key", drop-in mods and require no technical expertise or experience. The one thing to note is that the Tiger85 offering requires that you send me your charging harness for me to modify. (For those in the UK, Frame57 has graciously offered to do the mod for me--Thanks Frame57!--see below).

I will list the offerings from least expensive to most expensive. I will also be editing this post to keep it completely up to date.

1. WA01274 in a modified Carley RF1940 reflector:

This is a drop-in lamp assembly that is brighter than the stock TL LA. Runtime with the stock battery pack is on the order of 40 minutes. I got 41 minutes with my pack, but there are different generations of TL stock battery packs, so this could vary. I highly doubt, however, that it will be less than 30-35 minutes no matter which pack is used. Going by the WA re-rating formulas, the 1274 driven at 7.0-7.2 volts should be on a par with the 1160 in a stock MC and should have a similar beam. It out throws and out lumens the stock LA at the expense of some run time and should have a life of around 40 hours (i.e. 50 percent failure rate after 40 hours, but some will fail earlier than this, some later, on a more or less gaussian distribution). The WA re-rating formulas suggest 553 bulb-lumens, or 360 lumens out the front of the light.

The CarleyRF1940 reflector is available in both a smooth and an orange peel texture which will smooth out beam artifacts. I am potting all of the WA lamps into a "fixture-ring" which slides up into the bore of the 1940 and which is secured by the set screw. I detailed this in my fixture-ring lamp potting thread. The ring-potted lamp will come fully focused and secured in the reflector, but when the lamp dies, all you need to replace is the ring-potted lamp and not the reflector. You can also buy different reflectors for the same lamp and change the focus as you prefer. Please note: I will NOT guarantee any of the lamps for hours of life. The RF1940's are modified to fit the TL. Price is $20 + shipping for both, or $8 for just the ring-potted 1274 WA lamp, or $12 for only the modded 1940.

2. 6 cell Custom Battery pack + WA01111 in a modified Carley RF1940.

This offering requires a higher current capable custom battery pack. The pack is a drop-in replacement for the stock pack and changing the pack out is nearly as simple as changing the 9 volt battery in a smoke detector. I detail the construction of the 6 and 9 cell packs in my TigerLight Custom Batterypack construction details thread. The custom pack is guaranteed for mechanical integrity for 1 year. Please note that I will not guarantee the number of cycles you will get nor will I replace a pack that has been accidentally completely depleted. NiMH batteries do not like to be dropped or drained down below a certain voltage. I use KAN 1800 4/5A's for this 6 cell pack. The custom pack will charge just fine on the stock charging system. Also note that the WA 1274 and stock LA will be slightly brighter with the custom packs. Cost: $44 + shipping.

The WA01111 lamp puts out roughly double the light of the stock LA and runs for 29 minutes with the KAN pack. According to the WA re-rating formulas the 1111 will put out 800 bulb-lumens at 7.0 volts (this is the voltage plateau with the 6 cell KAN pack at 3.6 amps), or 520 lumens out the front of the light with a filament-life of around 11 hours. Cost: $23 for an 1111 in a 1940. $11 for ring-potted 1111 only. $12 for modified 1940 only.

3. 9 cell, 10.8 volt custom battery pack with a WA01185 in a modified Carley RF1940, with a modified charging system.

This is the ultimate TigerLight mod! I refer to it as the Tiger85. The pack is a 9 cell pack instead of a 6 cell pack. I use 9 KAN 1050 2/3A's to make this pack, but keep in mind that it looks almost identicle to the 6 cell packs and is an EXACT drop-in replacement to the stock pack.

The custom 9 cell pack drives a WA01185 lamp which puts out 1233 bulb-lumens, or approximately 800 lumens out the front of the torch, with a filament life of around 12 hours. This is the brightest light I have ever used, although it's no Aurora. Runtime is a bit longer than 16 minutes.

The charging harness needs to be modded by either me or Frame57 (for those in the UK). The mod involves installing a switch which allows you to choose either the stock 6 cell charging rate or the 9 cell charging rate. Thus it is a "reversible" mod. You can find details of the modified charging system in The TigerLight Upgrade Thread. Charging the 9 cell pack also requires a more potent wallwart which is provided with this offering. Note: the DC car adaptor plug will not charge the Tiger85 due to too low a voltage (12V). Cost: $44 for pack, $20 for harness mod and 15V wallwart, $20 for 1185 in a 1940, + shipping. $8 for ring potted 1185 only. $12 for modded RF1940 only.

Field Test Notes:

The Tiger74 (offering #1) has a significantly brighter hot spot than the stock LA, and also more spill light, but compared to the Tiger11 or Tiger85, the beam is narrower and thus the field of vision is narrower. I feel the need to cast the beam about to be able to see everything that's in front of me, whereas with the Tiger11 or Tiger85 you can really light up a lot of area in one go. The Tiger74 is brighter and whiter than the stock TL LA, but the lamp will likely not last nearly as long as the stock LA.

The question on many people's minds is probably "should I get the Tiger85, or the Tiger11" and the questions I think you need to ask yourself are "Am I a reasonable person?" and "How much runtime do I really need?" Many people are in situations where they need the most light possible and runtime is not an issue. I read an LEO article about the SF M6, and the author was arguing that a fire-fight is over in less than a minute or two, and the law officer needed to have the most compact, brightest, most dependable light possible, and runtime was a secondary consideration. Not being an LEO I can't answer to the truth of this, but it's an illustration of what I'm talking about. Some people need an hour or more of runtime, others are OK with 16 minutes. Then, of course, most "reasonable" people, having the Tiger11 and Tiger85 side by side, would probably conclude that the Tiger11 is mostly as bright and has almost twice the run-time. Personally, I love the Tiger11. Trust me when I tell you that it is smokin' bright and throws very far and has great side spill. It's a beautiful light. Yet, if you're one of those people who like to push the boundaries, and who are willing to sacrifice some amount of practicality for performance--in short, if you are not "reasonable"--you would be likely to choose the Tiger85 over the Tiger11, because it certainly IS noticeably brighter, especially when it comes to spill light. The Tiger85 really lights up an area like you wouldn't believe for such a small light (FBOP version). It's like a high-perfomance motorcycle or sports car. There's just that little something extra about it. It goes to 11. So if you're not reasonable, the Tiger85 is for you.

In the sets of beam shots below, the Tiger85 is first, and the stock TigerLight is second. The barn and bus shot is from 80 paces, or 210 feet. The car shot is from 50 feet or so, and in the last set (of the road) the red barn is 600 feet away. I used my Olympus D-550 digital camera in "night mode" with a tripod. Shutter speeds were 2 seconds, I think, but I can't be sure. It's possible that these shots are biased towards the dimmer light, but from my experience they are much more faithful to reality than the previous poor quality pictures.

tl85_barn.jpg

tlstd_barn.jpg

tl85_car.jpg

tlstd_car.jpg

tl85_road.jpg

tlstd_road.jpg

post script:

I will not be offering the SL-35X LA's, but they can be used with the custom 6 cell packs and put out a great beam. Unfortunately at the 20 percent overdrive involved (7.2 vs. 6.0 volts) they have a tendency to insta-flash (i.e. blow) when first turned on, especially when the light is hot off the charger.

Feel free to PM me with questions.

Last edited:

Prolepsis

Enlightened
Ditto. /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/smile.gif I just ordered a second TL so that I can order #2 and #3 from your list above when it is available. /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/grin.gif
/ubbthreads/images/graemlins/popcorn.gif Thanks!

nikemboka

Newly Enlightened
Put me down for the #3 also. Thanks

Magcharger UCL Combo, TigerLight, 3x5 Tristar, 3x3 Tristar, EternalMax, Super Baby Pin, Illuminator Pro HD, Ultra Infinity, Anglelux, Blaster VI, XM2 (preordered), VIP (preordered)

cue003

Flashlight Enthusiast
I will add to the #3 list. I am in and would like maybe an extra bulb or two. Ordering my TL today or tomorrow.

js

Flashlight Enthusiast
I was asked the following questions, and others may have the same ones, so I will answer in a post:

[ QUOTE ]
What is the estimated bulb life for either option 2 or 3?
How much brighter is option 3 compared to option 2?
Is the focus adjustable?
Is the light output from the upgrades whiter or at least comparable to the stock LA?

[/ QUOTE ]

The WA re-rating formulas suggest that the 1111 at 7.2 volts will have a life of 11 hours and that the 1185 at 10.8 volts will have a life of 12 hours. The 1274 driven at 7.2 volts (which is the design voltage) has a life of 40 hours. I believe that these are the number of hours to 85 percent brightness.

The WA re-rating formulas also suggest that the 1111 at 7.2 volts will put out 880 bulb-lumens, and thus 572 lumens out the front of the torch (65 percent). The 1274 puts out 553 bulb-lumens and thus 360 torch lumens, which is almost exactly the same bulb-lumen output as the 1160 driven at 6.0 volts, such as in the MC-WA1160.

At least this is what the WA re-rating forumulas tell us. Keep in mind that they are not exact predictors of the behavior of a bulb driven at an off-spec voltage. So my best guess answers to the first question are that option 3 is a fifty percent increase in total output over option 2, which is in turn almost a sixty percent increase over option 1 driven by the custom pack. For reference, TigerLight quotes the torch-lumens of the stock LA as 275, if I remember correctly. When I have more certainty regarding these I will edit my initial post and perhaps add some beam-shots.

The focus is adjustable! As I said above. However, it is not adjustable "real-time". Readjusting the focus requires a 2 mm allen wrench and requires opening up the light. It is not hard to do, but it's not something you'd do in the field. I personally have not found any benefit to defocusing the lamp assembly. I do not find the hot spot to be too tight, and there is a good amount of spill light even from the 1274.

The light from the upgrades is very nice: bright and white. More so than the stock LA, which is already bright and white. The reason for this is that the lamps are being driven harder and have a shorter life span. That's the trade off. The stock LA is guaranteed for six months! So keep that in mind when deciding whether or not to buy any of these. The 1274 has a lifespan on a par with the various SureFire lamps (40 hours), while the 1111 and 1185 have a third to a quarter the life span. (11-12 hours).

Thanks everyone for your interest. I can use the support and encouragement at the moment.

Psychomodo

Enlightened
[ QUOTE ]
js said:
... I can use the support and encouragement at the moment.

[/ QUOTE ]

Jim /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/wink2.gif

You've got my support /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/bowdown.gif

Thank you so much for all the hard work you've put in for us "non-techies" at CPF /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/buttrock.gif /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/grinser2.gif /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/thumbsup.gif

flashworm

Newly Enlightened
Jim, ur da man, keep up the good work. I think everyone is keen on the end results of the testing being done, and then put in their orders. Support u all the way.

Prolepsis

Enlightened
Ditto Jim, you have all of our support and gratitude. If you need us to prepay to help out, just let us know!

Looking forward to my M6 killer. /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/naughty.gif

agent8698

Newly Enlightened
At first I thought, maybe upgrade offering #1 would be good enough, but then I thought about why I have my TigerLight in the first place, which is: brute strength, overwhelming light output in a small package. That's when I realized that I want upgrade offering #3, especially since I almost never use the TigerLight more than 17 minutes in a day. As for the reduced bulb life, I can live with that too, I'll just buy some extra bulbs.

Please put me down for #3. Max

cue003

Flashlight Enthusiast
Ok.. Ordered my TL... To make sure I understand correctly, upgrade #3 will
Cost: $44 for pack, $20 for harness mod and 15V wallwart, $18 for 1185 in a 1940, + shipping. $6 for ring potted 1185 only. $12 for modded RF1940 only.

Therefore it will be $82 bucks plus $6 for ring potted 1185 only (extra bulbs). Is that correct or for extra bulbs? Or, do we have to do the $18 for 1185 in a 1940 to get extra bulbs?

Sorry for the confusion. Trying to sort out the funds.

Can this mod use a UCL lens? Would it be benificial or necessary?

Thanks

Curtis

js

Flashlight Enthusiast
Curtis,

You've understood correctly, except there is a shipping charge on top of the $90, and, yes, a ring-potted 1185 all by itself is only $5.

However, keep in mind that these prices are only approximate at the moment. I am going to sit down and do a careful accounting to make sure I will end up making a token amount of money for my time at which point I will set definite prices. All sorts of little things that you don't think about at first end up adding up to a significant amount of money.

As for a UCL:

A UCL OR OTHER GLASS LENS IS ABSOLUTELY NECESSARY IF YOU ARE GOING TO RUN ANY OF THESE MODS. You can't get by without one. An 1185 on 9 NiMH's will melt a lexan lens in short order, and the 1111 and 1274 won't be far behind.

Oh, and thanks everyone for the show of support! It's really great.

cue003

Flashlight Enthusiast
Thanks for the update JS. I understand that the price may change....hopefully it goes down. /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/smile.gif /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/smile.gif I also just went ahead and ordered the UCL for the TL from flashlightlens.com

Thanks again for the info.

Curtis

Ginseng

Flashlight Enthusiast
Jim,
You're a brave man for doing this. I know a build of this type is laborious to say the least. My hat's off to you.
Wilkey

darkgear.com

Enlightened
[ QUOTE ]
Ginseng said:
Jim,
You're a brave man for doing this. I know a build of this type is laborious to say the least. My hat's off to you.
Wilkey

[/ QUOTE ]

Ditto that. /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/thumbsup.gif

Sign me up for #3

Best regards,
Randy

Prolepsis

Enlightened
[ QUOTE ]
js said:
As for a UCL:
A UCL OR OTHER GLASS LENS IS ABSOLUTELY NECESSARY IF YOU ARE GOING TO RUN ANY OF THESE MODS. You can't get by without one. An 1185 on 9 NiMH's will melt a lexan lens in short order, and the 1111 and 1274 won't be far behind.

[/ QUOTE ]

Oooh yeah! I look forward to melting my stock lens. The stock TL setup takes too long to melt it. /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/naughty.gif

js

Flashlight Enthusiast
Everything is on schedule so far, despite a complication with my ring-potting scheme. I expect to open up B/S/T threads in two weeks.

In addition, I will be posting comparison beam shots of the three offerings to help people judge just how much light and what kind of beam the mods will deliver.

Thanks everyone.

keithhr

Flashlight Enthusiast
JS, you must have some spare time , or maybe you just like it here on the cpf, but what a nice offering it will be. I will be in for either #2 or #3, I just haven't decide yet but am appreciative of all your efforts.

Latest posts