EverLED heat dissipation

tygger

Enlightened
I would love to buy a white EverLED and put it into a Craftsman 4AA work light. My only concern is running it at 6 volts in a plasitc body. Wouldn't heat buildup be a concern? Has anyone put theirs in a 4 cell light with a plastic/rubber body? Any problems?

tygger

Enlightened
How many cells though? I wouldn't expect a problem with 2D's for example, but 4AA in a rubber/plastic body?

Hunsu

Newly Enlightened
I use it in Dorcy 4AA cool blue. That is plastic bodied light.
But it works very well with a little heat. In my opinion, number of cells does not
make a problem up to six cells.

Doug Owen

Flashlight Enthusiast
Not to worry. First off, the device has overtemp protection, it will protect itself (lowers it's output). And FWIW I'll bet the heating is *lower* on four cells than two.

Doug Owen

Phaserburn

Flashlight Enthusiast
I have never had a problem with Everleds in any type of light. In an ultra-cheap garrity 2AA, I did actually see the led dim itself due to the temp protection feature once. Never happened any other time in any other light.

gwbaltzell

Enlightened
Dimming in 2 cell was more likely as it fell out of the highest level regulation. I'd recommend using at least 3 (1.5 V) primary cells, or 4 rechargeables to get the most out of it. Mine's currently in a plastic flashlight (4 cell Dorcy Cool Blue), but if I thought I'd use it for more than 15-20 minutes at a time on a regular basis, I'd look for something to help keep it cool. Increasing the number of cells over 3 will have little affect on the heat generated. It will just run longer. Running it on 2 cells will be cooler but most or all the time will be in the dimmer mode. Even if it comes up in the brightest (and warmest) mode it won't stay there long with only 2 cells.

TrueBlue

Flashlight Enthusiast
I use the EverLED in my 4AA Craftsman everyday. The Craftsman is the one that looks like the stubby Turtlelite II with the addition of a battery charge indicator.

I've never had any problems with the EverLED. No heat build up. It works great.

The_LED_Museum

*Retired*
My EverLED is currently in a Turtlelite II knock-off that another CPFer found at a dollar store. The label on the cardboard "packaging" simply reads "SOFT GRIP FLASHLIGHT". There is no indication as to the original manufacturer, but according to the "packaging", they're distribited by Dollar Tree.

The flashlight uses four AA cells, and I have not noted any untoward heating or degradation of the EverLED in there.
Granted though, I haven't actually USED the flashlight a lot, like other EverLED owners here have.