What's up with "scalping" arc AAA's???

Status
Not open for further replies.

4x4Dragon

Flashlight Enthusiast
What\'s up with \"scalping\" arc AAA\'s???

or whatever you wanna call it......... don't know that "scalping" is the right term to use as scalpers usually sell things for cheaper than usual price.

I understand that the Arc AAA production is on halt right now but come on! They are NOT vintage cars! They are not THAT rare! What's worse is the ridiculous prices they are being sold for here is totally taking away from any comradory there may exist here at CPF. There are guys on here that actually donate/give away pretty nice flashlights(a certain someone from Germany) and then you have guys now trying to make a pretty big profit on Arc AAA's. I mean geez, Peter should cut back and limit production altogether and push the prices up so he can get his cut of what's going on.

Please someone fill me in, do Mcclux lights even sell for more than what they were originally purchased for? That is about only light I can think of that would justify an "inflation" in price.

BlindedByTheLite

Flashlight Enthusiast
Re: What\'s up with \"scalping\" arc AAA\'s???

i was weirded out by this also..

i've seen some ridiculously priced Arc AAA's (especially considering i got mine for free from TIN /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/grinser2.gif).

i thought it was part of CPF pride to help eachother out and not take advantage of a company's paused production.

but hey.. supply and demand i guess!

THE_dAY

Flashlight Enthusiast

totally agree with you guys, i don't have an Arc aaa but would like one and have been searchin' here and ebay. would you believe that they're even crazier on ebay.

paulr

Flashaholic

I think it's kind of humorous that people are willing to pay so much for Arc AAA's. I of course hope Peter gets his business issues straightened out so production can get going again and the shortage will stop. Meanwhile though, there's low supply and high demand, so the price goes up. I had some issues when that happened with the McLux, which was made by modders and sold at a fairly low price (given the low production quantity) to cover expenses, so people who resold them at a high profit were basically cashing in on other people's volunteer labor. The Arc AAA, on the other hand, has always been a commercial product made by a for-profit business, the company that made it has already gotten what it deemed at the time to be a fair financial return from it, and as such it's legitimately a commodity whose price goes up and down with conditions. I wouldn't try to persuade anyone to pay such outlandish ($60+) prices for an AAA but if someone knows what the situation is and still wants to spend their money that way, I don't have a problem taking it.

daloosh

Flashaholic*,

Well, scalpers generally are trying to profit by asking more than "retail" price for an item. In ticket resales, scalpers sell $50 tickets to hard to get concerts or shows for hundreds of dollars. In toys, it usually refers to buying from a dealer/distributor at market price and reselling higher. Day traders who scalp exploit small differences in bid and ask to make the difference as profit.

However, if Arc isn't making them, is it scalping? You can't buy a standard Arc AAA at retail price. Distributors don't have any. So, it's become a rare collectible, at least for the moment, so supply and demand have a greater role in defining the price. The market decides what it's worth. Even in ticket sales, resellers in many states are allowed to sell at a certain percentage over face value.

That said, CPF is generally not the market at large. One of its central values is the idea that we help each other out, many times we buy something to see what it's all about and then sell it at a loss to provide someone else with a look. A lot of folks will recycle a forgotten light to someone else at a good price.

But in the end, B/S/T is a marketplace, and often prices get lowered until someone buys it. That's what it's worth to someone. And if you think an Arc AAA that you can't find anywhere else is worth $100 to you, no one will force you to save your money. That's capitalism at work. As long as we all are making informed, rational decisions, I don't see B/S/T devolving into an ebay free-for-all.

daloosh

stockwiz

Enlightened

Simple supply and demand. Someone who has the money is willing to pay, probably a flashoholic. If someone wants to buy them cheap and resell them, more power to them.

I have a 2003 CPF version Arc AAA, if someone wants to buy it from me for $80 shipped priority conus, you're welcome to it. They don't make these anymore and they never will again.

LitFuse

Flashlight Enthusiast

My take on this is simple. If you don't like the price, don't buy it. People are free to sell (or try to sell) their stuff for whatever they want. Just because you don't like the price doesn't mean noone else will. People who take this personally are either too sensitive, or have too much time on their hands, (or both). No offense intended, just my opinion.

Peter

paulr

Flashaholic

The issue with tickets is there's only a certain number available for a given event, and scalpers buy them up preventing normal customers from buying them at the regular prices, i.e. scalpers are the ones creating the shortage, manipulating the market. I guess the same criticism would apply if someone bought up a lot of units of some commercial flashlight that could only be made in limited quantities because of the scarcity of some material or something. In the case of a production light like the Arc AAA under normal circumstances, if someone orders 5000 units, Peter hopefully just increases production and says "business is good this month!".

I do feel a bit uncomfortable seeing AAA's sold on BST at these high prices and would rather that kind of thing be done on Ebay or even CPF Auctions. I'm considering tossing my own spare AAA on Ebay if the current madness continues.

LitFuse

Flashlight Enthusiast

[ QUOTE ]
paulr said:

I do feel a bit uncomfortable seeing AAA's sold on BST at these high prices

[/ QUOTE ]

I haven't actually seen any AAAs sold for "these kind of prices" on B/S/T yet. Did I miss something? All I have seen is Ray bidding $60+ for an AAA over at eBay. While that certainly seems a bit weird to me /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/crazy.gif It doesn't "bother" me in the least. It's his money, and he can do whatever he wants with it.

With no production, the prices are bound to go up. What's it been, like 5 months we've been wating for AAAs from Arc?

Peter

Kiessling

Flashaholic

IMHO we see fear at work here. the fear of flashaholics suddenly being faced with the possibility that the favourite light will not come back.
This price increase seems more than a momentary shortage at work here, at least for me. Overstimulated capitalism.
bernhard

LitFuse

Flashlight Enthusiast

Thanks Bernhard. "Overstimulated capitalism" sums it up nicely in two words. /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/thumbsup.gif

Peter

paulr

Flashaholic

Litfuse, someone has an AAA listed for $40 on BST. I don't know why Ray hasn't snapped it up /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/wink.gif.

Kiessling

Flashaholic

For all Europeans ... Toolshop has listed them in stock, €29 standard and €39 premium
bernhard

kubolaw

Enlightened

I also don't see much wrong with selling at higher prices now that the supply from Arc has dried up. I've been in the position many times where I needed (or wanted) something that wasn't readily available, and I paid a premium over the "normal" price. Not that I was overjoyed to do so, but it must have been worth it to me since no one was forcing me to make the purchase.

That being said, from my perspective I haven't seen much "scalping" going on here. I generally keep a small stash of Arc AAAs on hand for random gift-giving opportunities that come up. After seeing some of the "I miss my Arc AAA" posts, I thought I might put one or two up for sale for my cost plus shipping to help out those who wanted one now. But even that would be like $30 + shipping, which would seem to put me in the vicinity of the "scalpers". Does that mean that my idea was a bad one?

John

4x4Dragon

Flashlight Enthusiast

[ QUOTE ]
LitFuse said:
My take on this is simple. If you don't like the price, don't buy it. People are free to sell (or try to sell) their stuff for whatever they want. Just because you don't like the price doesn't mean noone else will. People who take this personally are either too sensitive, or have too much time on their hands, (or both). No offense intended, just my opinion.

Peter

[/ QUOTE ]

no offense taken, i'll just pi$$ in both battery tubes of the Arc LS you just bought from me /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/grin.gif JUST KIDDING! /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/smile.gif

the thing is im not in the market for an Arc AAA so im not complaining. i've got an Arc AAA white, an Arc AA, and a Arc AAA turquoise. just wasn't expecting CPF members to make huge unnecessary profits off of other CPF members /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/frown.gif

4x4Dragon

Flashlight Enthusiast

[ QUOTE ]
kubolaw said:
I also don't see much wrong with selling at higher prices now that the supply from Arc has dried up. I've been in the position many times where I needed (or wanted) something that wasn't readily available, and I paid a premium over the "normal" price. Not that I was overjoyed to do so, but it must have been worth it to me since no one was forcing me to make the purchase.

That being said, from my perspective I haven't seen much "scalping" going on here. I generally keep a small stash of Arc AAAs on hand for random gift-giving opportunities that come up. After seeing some of the "I miss my Arc AAA" posts, I thought I might put one or two up for sale for my cost plus shipping to help out those who wanted one now. But even that would be like $30 + shipping, which would seem to put me in the vicinity of the "scalpers". Does that mean that my idea was a bad one?

John

[/ QUOTE ]

$30 + shipping isn't that bad......

nightshade

Enlightened

I think www.lumitroncorp.com still has the aaa available.Use the search feature to locate,type in arc aaa.Could be way wrong,but they had them in stock a few days ago.And if I am wrong,apologies in advance.

jbrett14

Enlightened

Just some unbiased words from someone who has never owned an ARC. First of all, whether we agree with it or not, this is NOT scalping. There is nothing illegal about it whatsoever. In fact, if I were in serious need of money, and could sell an ARC for $1,000, and if someone were foolish enough to pay it, of course I would do it. Who wouldn't. No one is forcing the buyer to buy. If I were one of you ARC owners, I would hold on to your light for a little while longer as I predict there value will sky-rocket. It's apparent to me that Peter probably will not be producing lights the way he once did, for quite some time. One thing you never mess with, is another man's money. Although Peter sounds like a great guy, he made the huge mistake of not paying someone promptly, then burned the bridge and tried to have someone else do it cheaper. Where I work, we will cease doing business with anyone who does not pay us when the goods are delivered. We are not a bank, and neither was the machine shop that was producing parts for Peter. Some people have great ideas, and great talent & skills, but poor money management. It is because of this that the majority of new businesses fail. If what I am predicting holds true (it may not), then all those old lights made by ARC will probably triple in value, due to the high popularity of them. It's obvious that many of the members here seem to have money to burn, and I could certainly see this type of individual paying big bucks for those historic ARCs that are no longer manufactured. More power to any individual who wants to take advantage of this and receive profits from a light that many think they must have. I for one, think it's crazy to pay an inflated price for an ARC but I'll bet others would have no problem paying it.

Darell

Flashaholic

[ QUOTE ]
this_is_nascar said:
You guys crack me up. I never realized my bidding on an Arc-AAA would cause so much conversation.

[/ QUOTE ]Me too! I still can't figure out why the beginning of this thread makes it sound like BST is just FULL of these for $60. Not everybody is as crazy as Ray here folks! AND this one wasn't offered for $60 - it was bid up to that by a guy who didn't have to, but could afford to. /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/icon3.gif

I have a bunch of them here for $125. NO waiting. /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/smile.gif

Status
Not open for further replies.