What's a good first gun?

BlindedByTheLite

Flashlight Enthusiast
What\'s a good first gun?

i'll be turning 20 soon, and i was thinking about asking my gramps to get me a hand gun and training.

so far, i've only looked @ Taurus brand revolvers, as that's what he carries and he pointed me to them when i brought it up.

i think i prefer a revolver.. i like the looks better, even tho you can probly find a lighter pistol..

i really liked the looks of the blue titanium/pearl grips Protector .38 spl, but i was thinking, is this really a good first gun for me? it would be an investment, so i wouldn't mind putting up half of the money for it.. but it's so purty /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/blush.gif, should i really be going there for my first gun?

anyways.. i'd like something small.. something i can learn with.. but something that i can continue to use seriously after my skills develop.. a 5 to 8 round capacity for a revolver and @ least an 8 round capacity for a pistol.

would you reccomend a revolver/pistol? and what would you reccomend?

Quickbeam

Flashlight Enthusiast
Re: What\'s a good first gun?

For anyone, the best first pistol is a .22 . Ammo is cheap, it's easy to use, the recoil doesn't scare anyone away or hurt the hand, and the lack of recoil allows you to refine your technique before moving on to larger calibers. With a .22, flinching, pulling, pushing, anticipating, etc. are easier to see and correct. Starting out with a larger caliber pistol is a common mistake for the eager new pisol buyer and often results in difficulties learning proper use and technique.

Anyone experienced with target shooting and proper firearm skills should tell you the same thing.

Good luck with your new hobby and be safe! Take an NRA approved course first!

BlindedByTheLite

Flashlight Enthusiast

i was told that.. but i thought maybe i could skip it for two connected reasons..

#1. money.. i dunno how long it'll take for me to move up from a .22 due to the costs.. and i don't wanna buy anything cheaper to hold me over like i'd do with a flashlight..

#2. i was thinking about using this for carry, and i don't think i'd trust a .22 for defense..

but also again, this is my first gun, and prior to this thread and your help, i've had pretty limited involvement with firearms..

Hoghead

Flashaholic*

Get a .22 with adjustable sights.

Other than that pick one you like. I prefer auto loading pistols. Ruger target models are a good. Since you prefer revolvers I would recommend Smith&Wesson.

You'll save enough on ammo while learning to shoot to pay for the .22.

JerryM

Flashlight Enthusiast

I can't argue with Quickbeam. However, a .22 is not a good self defense handgun. It lacks power, and because of the rimfire primer set up, is not as reliable as a centerfire. I see quite a few .22 cartridges on the range that have not fired.

But it will be a gun that you can shoot a lot, and develop shooting skills.
If you just have to have a self defense gun, then a .38 Spl revolver is a good first gun. It is easy to shoot, and if you can get reduced power handloads, it will be easy to shoot. Realize though that it will be expensive at the cost of ammunition. A .22 can be shot much more at less expense.

If you can, go to a shooting range where you can try different guns, and that will help.
Above all, get training in SAFETY. Once fired, a bullet cannot be called back, and the results are irreversible.

For about the last 4 years, I have fired about 1000 rounds of .45 ACP plus others each month. This year it is probably closer to 700 rounds total per month. I handload so the cost is not so much.

Here is an index of gun forums that are helpful.
http://www.thefiringline.com/Misc/alternates.html

Jerry

Topper

Flashaholic*

I think a .22 is best for a first gun. In the event you feel like something larger later on after you are comfortable with the .22 then get a .357 magnum it will shoot .38's so you can swap the shells to fit your needs.
I like Rugers myself. Master the .22 then get a .357 and shoot .38's awhile than buy the .357 rounds. Also never point towards Arkansas when shooting /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/grin.gif Ear protection is not a joke or option wear protection or blinded by the light adds deaf by the sound to your name. Be careful
Topper /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/smile.gif

BlindTiger

Newly Enlightened

A CZ 75 and the .22 conversion kit. I had the .22 kit and sold it but shouldn't of. Would be the perfect training handgun for newbies. If you can still find the CZ 75 Turkish surplus even better.
This is a big gun so it may be hard to conceal but their design has the rails on the inside so it's slimmer than other semi autos. 9mm ammo is still relatively cheap.
The Taurus's revo's are pretty fun, had a chance to try the small frame one in .357. I was expecting more recoil.

JerryM

Flashlight Enthusiast

BlindedByTheLite,
I have a 1911 and a .22 conversion kit. It is great, but the total cost is probably more than you have in mind. The CZ 75 would probably be less expensive, and while I don't have a CZ, they are excellent guns.

A Kimber or Springfield 1911 plus a conversion kit would, at discount prices, go for around $1000.

When one gets to the point of carrying concealed, it is important to realize that the big, heavy gun at home or in the car is not the one you need when you are under attack. The best one is the one you have at the time. (I did not originate that saying, but it is correct.)

Be realistic as to what you are willing to carry, and how you will carry it. I find that I carry a Airweight .38 SPL or a Kahr P9 a lot more often than my .45s.

I sure do hope you get some good instruction. It will save you a lot of money in equipment, and teach you safe handling. Please do not rush out and buy a gun and then start to carry it without instruction, and whatever is necessary to carry it legally.

Learn to shoot. The "spray and pray" technique will just get you and maybe other innocents killed or injured. If you are going to carry a gun you have the responsibility to learn to use it safely, accurately, and legally.

Go to a good handgun course, and learn. If you ever have to get into a shooting situation, remember that YOU are responsible for every round that you fire, and may even be accused of starting the shooting and getting others hurt regardless of who did the shooting.

For anyone interested here is a web site which has some good info re concealed carry laws.
www.packing.org

Jerry

notos&w

Enlightened

Blinded, you might want to check your state laws on ownership of a handgun by a minor (under 21). Fed law prevents you buying one until youre 21 but state law might go one step farther and prohibit you owning it until 21.
Also, you mentioned carrying it. You'll of course want to wait until you are 21 and have a valid permit. Don't think you'd like the pokey (there is a reason it has that name) too much. Taurus makes some good guns.

I suggest you buying a .22. Check out Ruger's single six and Mark II line. In the year until you're 21, you save the cost of the gun in ammo if you do too much shooting at all.

PlayboyJoeShmoe

Flashaholic

I would look for a nice Double Action 22 Caliber revolver. It has an amazingly simple manual of arms, is cheap CHEAP to shoot, and will aid in the training needed to carry.

After all, chances are excellent that the first and maybe all shots are going to be heat of the moment double action shots in an emergency situation!

Of course I'm WAY partial to single action autos.... Ruger 22/45 and Colt 1911 are favs!

Flotsam

Newly Enlightened

I would also suggest a .22 pistol, and then whatever floats your boat afterwards. I have a CZ (sold a Glock to get it) - it's a very reliable, accurate firearm - inexpensive, but not "cheap" - great first centerfire handgun (if autos are your thing). If a revolver it must be, I would go w/ Topper's suggestion of the .357 - can always shoot the .38s in it & move up when you want to.

Sam

LifeNRA

Flashaholic*

See Toppers post. My wife has a S&W 357 that she uses 38's in because of the kick. Remember one thing about a carry gun. Never get a gun a that is to hard to control for quick follow up shots. It would be best to find a local range that rents guns and try a few out first. And always remember, practice makes perfect. Then join the NRA to help insure you get to keep it /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/smile.gif.

Silviron

Flashlight Enthusiast

Ruger MKII .22 LR rimfire.
http://www.ruger.com/Firearms/FAProdView?model=175&return=Y

"Tack driving" accuracy.
Reliability.
I've pumped over 100,000 rounds through mine, in the 30 years I have had it, with absolutely no misfires, (even when it is "all crudded up").

It is what I actually learned on before I "graduated" to real defense guns, and what I still turn to for "fun".

Prior to buying the Ruger,I owned several revolvers, including a couple of .22s, a .357 and a .41 Mag, but the Ruger is what I learned to actually hit what I was aiming at and learned how to manipulate a handgun for practical combat pistol shooting.

I second the warning about ear protection. The beginning of my hearing problems came when I shot a couple of boxes out of my first .357 in about a half hour, without ear protection. I was 90% deaf for a week and never recovered completely.

BlindedByTheLite

Flashlight Enthusiast

thanks for replying everyone! i knew CPF would be the place to come to get good direct advice.

i was more comfortable dealing with it here then going to a gun forum to ask questions (probly end up with the same answers anyways)..

i'm gonna let this soak in and talk with my gramps to see what he says b4 i address everyone's posts.

thanks again tho.. looks right now like i'll be looking into a .22 for training.. and go with Topper's advice with a .357 (i like to think i'll be able to fire a .357 with no problems too right now /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/grinser2.gif but we'll see)

-Ryan

14C

Enlightened

Consider a Ruger Single Six.

S/A .22 LR and .22 Magnum - interchangeable cylinders.

Good to learn and cheap to shoot.

Ordin_Aryguy

Newly Enlightened

All the suggestions guiding you towards a .22 revolver are right on the money.

Learning the fundamentals of firearms safety and operation cannot be stressed highly enough. Revolvers are incredibly simple in comparison to auto-loaders. For instance, to determine if a revolver is unloaded (and explicitly SAFE), one must only swing the cylinder open and look for brass.

Determining if an auto loader is not such a simple process. Removing the clip will get all but one of the bullets out of the gun. The action must still be worked to get the remaining bullet out of the chamber, if there is one. That's the problem, a person really never knows if an auto loader is unloaded without going through a multi-step routine. Revolvers are always one simple step.

The fundamentals of shooting, target aquisition and safety are the same regardless of what gun you're holding. Making the gun operation simple removes unnecessary complexity from the learning process.

Once you've gained experience and confidence with the proper safety and handling of guns, then consider the step into an auto-loader.

Single actions versus double action in a revolver, that'd be your choice. DA's can be shot in SA if you want to, but the converse isn't true.

Mistakes in gun safety are very, very costly! Always remember that. Enjoy, have fun, and BE SAFE.

Ordin

Double_A

Flashlight Enthusiast

4" S&W M66 .357 mag

Shoot it with .38 target wadcutters till you get good. Them move up to .38+p and then to .357mag cartidges.

GregR

smokinbasser

Flashlight Enthusiast

I will join the 22 cal first crowd,it is excellent for learning the right way with out any pain or spending wads of cash on ammo, please wear ear protection with even the lowly 22s they can do just as much damage as a larger caliber but its more subtle. I reload my ammo and it really is cheaper in the long run.

PlayboyJoeShmoe

Flashaholic

I again say get a DA Revolver and I'll tell you why again.

As has been mentioned, a revolver is an extremely simple device. A double action revolver is useful beyond belief because it can be cocked and fired very accurately single action, but is better for "combat" training as a double action.

There are DA/SA semi autos, pure SA, pure DA etc.

A single action semi, like my 1911 has a safety to engage when cocked. Same with the Ruger MKII.

But a single action revolver (or even a DA) must NEVER be cocked until ready to fire and pointed in a safe direction!

We all echo getting a .22 first, as there is NOTHING cheaper to shoot. A big box of 500 rounds is like 5 bucks. I often go to the gun range with only .22 stuff. It's FUN to plink the corners off targets!

Last thought, .22 KILLS more people than any other caliber. But it doesn't stop a fight worth spit (unless the hit is in a perfect spot). It is still VERY dangerous and like any gun must be treated with the UTMOST respect!

Aten_Imago

Banned

The Taurus you chose is sweet ! easier to learn to shoot accurately, concealable and with enough power to teach you about recoil compensation. It's also a fine looking choice for a gentleman shooter. If concealability is not an issue, you might try a 4" barreled Taurus instead. http://www.taurususa.com/products/product-details.cfm?model=627SH4C&category=Revolver. More accurate, easier recoil and much more powerful than the .38.
NRA have great classes BTW. /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/grin.gif