Cable Satellite fees

AZMAN

Newly Enlightened
Looking for help from a dishnetwork or directtv guy.

I've heard you don't have as many fees with satellite.
My cable bill has so many taxes and franchise fees it's sickening.

What do you guys get charged on your bill, over and above the standard monthly fee?

keithhr

Flashlight Enthusiast
I pay $62 for Direct TV Satellite with two receivers, local channels and (8 HBO) (14 stars and Encore) total 22 movie channels includes any taxes etc.

stockwiz

Enlightened
Our cable service costs more then it could cost to get america's top 120 with local channels using dish network, and we only have the basic channels, no digital or premium.

Eric_M

Enlightened
I think you're always going to come out ahead with satellite. Even the new "digital" cable only adds about 15 - 20 channels and they are the only "digital" ones. The rest are still analog.

keithhr

Flashlight Enthusiast
I thought I would mention that all the digital cable discussions leave out important information. I have over the air(exterior roof antenna from Radio Shack) digital TV reception on the same stations that provide HDTV content. The picture is superior in the digital mode as well as the HD mode, however cable and satellite both use massive compression to fit more channels into the bandwith that they are using, hence, actual picture quality is not very good when compared to the over the air(ota) reception. Original satellite signals with the 8-10 ft antennas capturing the non compressed signals were absolutely gorgeous and pristine, not what we get today.

tvodrd

*Flashaholic* ,
Dish basic (~$25/mo) blows away Comca$t cable who dings me $57/mo for cable ISP alone. (My phone line is only good for ~15kbps /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/frown.gif .) No wonder they have the cash to try and buy Disney.

Larry

tiktok 22

Flashlight Enthusiast
Is anybody out there using Voom yet? I've heard intiially the signals were very good, but due to bandwidth issues, Their HD signals aren't as good as they used to be.

BuddTX

Flashlight Enthusiast
If you are looking at Dish Network,

Buy a 508 Receiver on e-bay.

The 501/508/510 are identicle DVR receivers except for:
501-40 gig HD/NO 4.99 Monthly DVR Charge
508-80 gig HD/NO 4.99 Monthly DVR Charge
510-120gig HD/ YES 4.99 Monthy DVR Charge