A 3-watt flashlight

chuckolson

Newly Enlightened
Last fall, I ordered and received from Dat2zip a 3-watt Luxeon LED and a 700 mA BadBoy regulator & emitter board. A month ago I finally checked the LED at 100 mA, and found it produces a slightly warm, pure white light. So spurred by this good luck, I got busy and drew up some milling processes on a block of black Lexan.

I wanted to take advantage of the low internal resistance of NiMH AA cells, while keeping the package reasonably small. So it took the shape of two side-by-side rechargeables, with a top-surface switch close to my thumb and with the light emanating from the bottom face. To cool the 3-watt device I put 3.6 square inches of 0.040" copper plate flush with the top surface and screwed down in contact with the LED through a thin layer of Arctic Alumina. The NX05 optic wound up recessed about 0.15".

The only problem area I found is with the Radio Shack Submini-Slide-Switch - - electrically and size-wise, it's perfect. But it's easy to accidentally rub the slide ON in a pocket. So I had to make a small slide-lock that pivots on one of the switch mounting-screws and keeps the slide OFF in a carefully located slot. The pivot screw jams in tapered threads while being adjusted for needed resistance to keep the lock from rotating.

The result is a light that I call the "Monolith" with apology to the late Stanley Kubrick. "It stands up tall to light a wall, and when laid down, it doesn't roll". It has a typical NX05 flood pattern with a 750 fc center at 12 inches. Battery demand is about 1400 mA so that 2300 mA-h cells give it about an hour of continuous light, or more with intermittent use. It's a definite palm-warmer, but that keeps the LED junction easily under the 90 deg. C. limit for full life expectancy.

DSCN0005.JPG

DSCN0010.JPG

DSCN0039.JPG

DSCN0045.JPG

chuckolson

Newly Enlightened
Re: posting pictures

Okay, I tried. I put the posting URL's for pictures at the bottom of my original post, complete with [image] - - [/image] but they didn't show up on the page. Can you direct me to a post that successfully posted images? I don't know anything about "Instant UBB Code" so is there something I have to do in addition to listing the file addresses as specified in the "Hosting Pictures on CPF"? The permissions on my pictures are -rw-r--r-- which appears to be the same as on many other's files.

B@rt

Flashaholic

Hi chuckolson, to make the pics show, you have to paste the full adress of the pic between the UBB image tags.

I should look like this:
<font class="small">Code:</font><hr /><pre>
DSCN0017.JPG
</pre><hr />

This will give you this result:
DSCN0017.JPG

I hope this helps. /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/wink.gif

Oh btw, welcome to CPF! /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/grin.gif
welcome.gif
/ubbthreads/images/graemlins/wink.gif

chuckolson

Newly Enlightened

Thanks, Bart,

That did it. Evidently since the instructions were written which showed the image tags as [image] - - [/image], the tags got changed to
which seem to work much better. Too bad neither the instructions from Dan Tran nor the "Instant UBB Code" for "Image" show the more recent tags, and the old ones don't work any more (at least not for me).

andrewwynn

Flashlight Enthusiast
very cool light... i didn't notice the dimensions.. is is 1x4x9 ? (matching the monolith (i'm sure it's smaller)... i'm just starting to build a 3W light myself, will be very small.. probably the smallest 3W made, will be metal to dissipate heat though... rechargable LiON source. I want to drive it at 700mA but the Bad Boy said it only runs to 1.5W.. 700mA lux3 is 2.6W. I'm looking for a circuit.. check my post under 'led driver'... badboy is too big to fit in my light w/o modification.

-awr

chuckolson

Newly Enlightened
[ QUOTE ]
andrewwynn said:
very cool light... i didn't notice the dimensions.. is is 1x4x9 ? (matching the monolith (i'm sure it's smaller)... i'm just starting to build a 3W light myself, will be very small.. probably the smallest 3W made, will be metal to dissipate heat though... rechargable LiON source. I want to drive it at 700mA but the Bad Boy said it only runs to 1.5W.. 700mA lux3 is 2.6W. I'm looking for a circuit.. check my post under 'led driver'... badboy is too big to fit in my light w/o modification.

-awr

[/ QUOTE ]

Pretty sharp there - - no, this Monolith is 0.728x 1.312x 3.28 - - no high intellect at work here. Your all metal 3-watter should be pretty nice. On the BadBoy, you can put any resistors on it you can get hold of, and make it run at 700 mA easily. You just have to parallel resistors to produce 0.050 volts when delivering the current you desire. All this is covered in the LT1618 data sheet from Linear Technology, which you can download. Dat2zip has a bunch of different resistors you can choose from, and he provides room for 2 in parallel in the BadBoy PCB. He doesn't want to make a complete drop-in sandwich including the LED to run at the 700 mA current level, because the heat sinking isn't good enough in a Mini-Maglite, but I think he'll still make a regulator board assembly for that current level as long as you plan on heat sinking the LED in a better way that meets its thermal requirements. The 3-watt heat dissipation is tough to work out. Doug Speck does it in the Firefly (2nd run) in an all-metal concentric package and this thing has enough copper and exposure to air and the user's hands to do it in a prismatic package. There may be other choices, so keep at it. I'm sure you'll enjoy the exercise.

Chuck

Kiessling

Flashaholic
wow!
very nice! /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/thumbsup.gif

btw ... hotbeam ... I stole this nice gif from somewhere here on CPF ... /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/evilgrin07.gif ... it was too cute to let it slip away with the wind of time ...

bernhard

chuckolson

Newly Enlightened
tylerdurden said:
I forsee a lot of good things from this guy. /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/smile.gif

PS, hurry up with the pics!

Sorry, Tyler, but I'm convinced this is the ultimate flashlight, and there are no better things coming from this guy. I've lived with it in my pocket now for 16 months and it has proven to be the ideal EDC light.

First of all, it isn't long and round in my pocket, eliminating any confusion on the part of my girl friend. It uses rechargeable NiMH AA cells, so I haven't had to dip into my bank account to feed it. My Maha MH-C401FS charger restores full energy every 3 or 4 weeks to the Energizer 2300 mA-h AA's I run in it , so the cost of ownership has been very low.

One of the most gratifying aspects of this design is the easy way it can be used to find the tiniest pieces of workshop debris dropped on the floor, just by laying it down on its side. Also the eye can be brought very close to the side of the beam axis to look for reflections from critter's eyes or other retroreflective items of interest. The optic face is well recessed for minimal marking by other pocket hardware.

But I believe the most important point in this design is the thermal conduction of heat away from the 3-watt LED. This heavy copper plate is in direct contact with the heat-sink surface of the LED, and the whole flashlight gets plenty hot in my hand after a few minutes of searching around in my garage for stuff I know is out there somewhere. That heat should not be bottled up with only a thin layer of copperclad PCB as a path to the outside world.

The reason I'm posting this after all this time is I would like to see someone follow up on this kind of design - - two side-by-side AA rechargeables with a 750 mA BadBoy regulator at the positive end of the pair, and the switch and optic next to each other in the space near the regulator. I had to mill the cavities for the heat-sink, cells, regulator, switch and optic out of a block of Lexan, but it could so easily be professionally fabricated by injection molding, that I'm really surprised someone hasn't already taken that ball and run with it. I see neat little EDC incandescent flashlights with side-by-side AA's molded in plastic, offered free for buying the Duracell product it uses - - this could be done that way, but with all the advantages of regulation, rechargability and Luxeon technology for a lot more coin.

The injection molding machine can and should replace the screw machine that builds flashlights. Your pocket and your girlfriend will thank you.

Chuck

koala

Flashlight Enthusiast
I like this one... very nicely done. You might want to coat that copper surface with a clear coat or something, else it will oxidize fast and look brown. Otherwise just go hardcore and hand polish it everyweek and it will be as shiny as an ipod base.

Who says flashlight must be stick round? :D