SF A2 incandescent lamp issue

Alpine

Newly Enlightened
Hello, all,

I know this has been addressed on CPF before but for the life of me I can't seem to search it out:

I have an A2 that is now only partially "powering" the incandescent lamp when I push the tailswitch all the way down. It is like it only runs at half output. If I turn the tailcap to lock the incan. lamp on, most of the time it will light at full intensity, but not always.

Does anyone remember what causes this? Or what the solution is. I'd rather not have to send the light back to SF for something I can easily fix.

Any ideas?

Thanks!

McGizmo

Flashaholic
Alpine,

It sounds like you have some issues in the contacts of the switch. Look in there and make sure you still have the three leaf contacts. You may also have some foreign matter or debris either on the battery tube lips or in the tail switch contacts or the the battery + contact up front. I of course am assuming you have checked the batteries.

Alpine

Newly Enlightened
Hi, McGizmo,

Thanks for the quick reply!

I swapped in "known-good" batteries the first time it did this. And when it works it is full-on, bright as ever. I would figure that since it's regulated, it would be an all or nothing situation, with no way to run "dimmed." That's why this is so weird.

I'll check the leaf contacts when I get home, and the front battery contact. Nothing looks misaligned or broken, but I haven't checked the head, just the tail at this point. Maybe I should re-lube the tailcap threads? It's only three months old, but I guess it couldn't hurt...

Thanks again!

Size15's

Flashaholic
Try the opposite actually, clean all the threads and contact surfaces and try.

The A2 incand beam does drop out of regulation and continues for about 10 minutes I seem to recall before it stops altogther.

Al

Alpine

Newly Enlightened
Size15s,

Will do. I'll let you guys know what I find out tonight.

Thanks!

Alpine

Newly Enlightened
Hokay,

I got home, blew the entire light out with canned air, used contact cleaner on the tailswitch, blew that out again, checked out all the contacts (everything seemed in order), cleaned everything and reassembled. Fixed the problem.

Hmmn. I guess I should have done all these things one at a time so as to isolate the problem and know specifically what fixed it. 20/20 hindsight, as they say.

Anyhow, thanks for moving me in the right direction. Now if someone else has a similar issue I can pay it forward.

Cheers!

Size15's

Flashaholic
What sort of lube were you using?
The resistance of the A2 is vital as I understand it for the switching. I only use the NyeGel lube that SureFire does. Perhaps this is more important in this case then in other models where perhaps other lubes may manage to do the job?

I'm glad you got it working!

Al

Alpine

Newly Enlightened
Based on CPF opinion I have used NyeGel on my E2e and L4. I've had the A2 for so short a time that I've never used any on it until now. I think there may have been debris bogging up the switch. It's probably a good idea to regulary clean my EDC light! /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/wink.gif One minute I'm peering under the subfloor of the computer room and the next I'm crawling around above the raised ceiling in the shop, so my light probably picks up a good bit of dirt and dust.

Thanks again /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/cool.gif

Mike

Size15's

Flashaholic
You could find a local distribution contacthere
I got mine through the UK contact. It was cheaper than buying it in the USA which was kinda strange!