Tailcap mod V1.2 , not-quite goodbye to problems

Status
Not open for further replies.

unphorgettable

Newly Enlightened
Hi Cy
First of all, good job on all your tailcap mods! Although I don't have any ARC flashlights, I've been following the switch threads closely because I was thinking about getting an Arc4.

However, regardless of how well your mod works, putting solder on the gold disc inevitably results in a high-resistance ohmic contact that would increase the apparent internal resistance of your battery as "seen" from the flashlight's head. (technical details omitted for simplicity)

The result is significantly lower performance because your light would either demand more power from the battery to maintain brightness and waste them as heat at the solder/gold contact, or simply have a lower output. There is a reason why the disc is made/plated in gold -- it lowers the resistance between the batt and the circuit.

cy

Flashaholic
Re: Tailcap mod V1.2 , not-quite goodbye to proble

Welcome to cpf...

search around some and you will find Mclux's and fireflys (sammies) use a blob of solder as a final contact point.

lightshow

Newly Enlightened
Re: Tailcap mod V1.2 , not-quite goodbye to proble

Having to add a "blob of solder" (or a ghetto piece of tinfoil) as the final contact point in a $180 flashlight just isn't going to cut it for the majority of the population. I am undoubatly certain that Peter will get through these tough times and continue to provide us with the quality and workmanship that we all know ARC is fully capable of. /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/bowdown.gif /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/bowdown.gif /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/bowdown.gif

Status
Not open for further replies.