Installing batteries in Turboflare

Darell

Flashaholic
OK, who wants to make Darell look like an idiot?

Well, since everybody has their hand up, I'll take the skinny kid there in the back. How the heck do you install batteries in these things!? I managed to get one set in without much problem, and now can't get the rest of my units together. What's the trick? I'm going nuts here! They sure weren't designed for easy battery swaps were they?

And speaking of batteries, who the heck has the best prices on Li AA's these days?

Thanks guys. Sure I could have asked this of some friends privately and behind the scenes, but then you all would have lost out on the chance to make me look stupid. I give you this of my own free will.

Darell the Dork.

Darell

Flashaholic
3rd_shift (and Craig!) -

You win! Here I have been unscrewing the entire dome and trying to shove them in that way. Never even thought about taking the switch off. Would have been nice if they'd included a little bit of instruction there! Dang!

OK, so who's got Li AA's now that I know how to get them IN the thing!

McGizmo

Flashaholic
Darell,

Let me share your shame. I too took the dang thing completely apart! I was able to put it back together again though! /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/tongue.gif Hummm, take of the switch. Now why didn't I think of that! /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/blush.gif

LitFuse

Flashlight Enthusiast
Don't feel too bad Darell, I did the same thing. /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/ohgeez.gif Hadn't really planned to share with the group though.

I think I saw someone post that Wallyworld and Sam's Club both had the Li AA's for less than $2 per. I think $2 is what Kevin at Batterystation get for them too.

Peter

Size15's

Flashaholic
And there I was hoping it wasn't some cool flashlight I'd never heard of! /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/ohgeez.gif /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/rolleyes.gif

Darell

Flashaholic
Ah, excellent! Thanks for the commiseration you guys! Nice to know I'm not alone. Interestingly enough, I noticed that the switch hatch was a bit loose on all mine, so the first thing I did was tighten those screws, then proceed to remove the five that hold the puck together. /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/ohgeez.gif

OK, time to shop for batteries!

The_LED_Museum

*Retired*
Hey...I had to ask how to install the batteries when I first got mine. /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/icon15.gif
A flashlight reviewer that can't install batteries in a light...who would 'a thunk it? /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/eek.gif /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/ooo.gif /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/eek.gif

Darell

Flashaholic
Ok, you guys are making me feel better and better every minute. Now I'm actually GLAD I posted. Look for more "make Darell look like an idiot" posts in the future!

kitelights

Flashlight Enthusiast
Thanks for making my night. You've got me feeling like a proud Peacock. A lowly end user among the greats of CPF and I had no trouble with it. Or does that just mean that I'm not smart enough to screw it up? (or like my GF says, "screwing up in reverse.")

gwbaltzell

Enlightened
I think I was the one who brought these to the attention of the forum and I did the exact same thing. Maybe why they're on clearance!

Sam's also has the AA 1.5 V Lithiums I think it was $20 for 16. I believe the e2 akaline have a similar Ahr rating (but not the other advantages) and are a little cheaper.

edit: Found where I posted it. Don't know why I didn't post about installing the cells. Guess I thought I was only one that would do it wrong!

daloosh

Flashaholic*,
OK, I took the whole thing apart too, and had the darnedest time trying to get the cover on with the batteries in it and all those little nuts.

And, to reinforce the correctness of taking the top off, there's a diagram inside, that you can barely see if you take off the switch! On the second one I was thinking, hmm, if you take the switch off, you can't see the diagram for polarity...then I turned the stupid thing over, and voila, there's a diagram on the bottom, too!

Doh!!

daloosh

The_LED_Museum

*Retired*
Here is the correct procedure to change the batteries in your TurboFlare:

To change the batteries in your TurboFlare 360, take a small phillips screwdriver (#0 should work fine here), and unscrew & remove the two screws holding the pushbutton switch assembly in place. These screws are semi-captive, and will stay in the switch assembly if you're reasonably careful. Remove this assembly and set it aside. Tip the four used AA cells out of the light, and dispose of or recycle them as you see fit.

With the battery chamber facing you and the light upright, insert two of the four new AA cells in the left hand chamber so the button-end (+) terminal faces up, and insert the other two cells in the right hand chamber so the flat end (-) faces up. There are polarity diagrams embossed in each battery chamber, and on the underside of the TurboFlare's body, if you forget how the batteries go in.

Place the switch assembly back in place, being sure it goes down and sits partway inside the battery opening. It is keyed to fit in one way only, so if it doesn't fit, turn it 180° and try it again. Insert the two screws and tighten them.

Beretta1526

Flashlight Enthusiast
When all else fails... read the instructions. But in all fairness, some of them don't have instructions with them. I almost took mine completely apart until I noticed the screws around the switch.

lightnix

Enlightened
Oddly enough I didn't have any trouble at all and I didn't read the instructions either /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/wink.gif

Maybe I'm just not technically minded enough to think of doing it the hard way /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/crackup.gif

Atomic6

Flashlight Enthusiast
Guess I am just dumber than dirt. I actually used the Switch Access door to put in the bats!....after staring at all of those dome screws intently. Next stop was to Coscto for a 40 Pak of AA's. I'll not be putting $8.00+ in Li's in those $7.00 lights. Instead, the $.25 a piece fresh Kirklands will be the choice and I'll just change them out in 3-4 years if they sit all of that time.