My HPR-52 lamp stopped working !

Velcro

Enlightened
A couple of days ago, I bought some Philips Halogen HPR-52 lamps. I used one of them in a flashlight that had a krypton lamp in it. It worked just fine (altough superb is a better word. What a great increase in performance!
shocked.gif
).

Yesterday, I was 'playing' with my Mag-Lite 3D and I replaced the batteries with fresh ones because the light was getting to dim.
I decided to put in the Halogen HPR-52 lamp (the same one that I put in the light I mentioned above) to see how much more bright it would be. I had done this two days before when the Mag had the older batteries. It worked then, altough not to my liking (way off-focus).

So I put in the HPR-52 lamp (which is 2,8v 0,85a), turned it on and I got one very short lasting flash of light and then it just stopped working.

Does anyone know what could have caused this? Is it something that just happens every now and then, or did I just have a bad lamp?

Greetings,
Velcro

D

**DONOTDELETE**

Let's see. 3 D cells = 4.5 volts.

The bulb is rated for 2.8 volts.

Since you were using fresh batteries, do you think the extra 1.7 volts may have burned up the filament?

That'd be my guess and that when you tried it before, your batteries were JUST low enough to not burn it up.

Someone with some personal experience with the bulb can probably give you better direction (I've not owned that bulb).

Sorry to hear you lost the bulb and I hope it all works out for you.

Brock

Flashaholic
The HPR-52 is for 2 1.5v cells, not three. So you were just lucky when you were using it with the 3 D cells before, or maybe the cells were weak enough to drop the voltage to around the 2 cell level.

I actually do the same sort of thing in my 5D Mag, when it starts to dim I use a 4 cell lamp and it is really bright again, but if I change it to soon it will fry the lamp.

Alan

Flashlight Enthusiast
HPR52 is designed for 2-cell light. Using 3D Maglit will easily blow this bulb in seconds and it's normal.

Alan