Red or blue filter?

ajnova

Newly Enlightened
Hello,

I want to get a filter cover for one of my SureFires. The use would be using it at night in the house, to my bed from my bed etc. Also when I don't want white light to bother my night eyes. And maybe occasional use outside, when trying to be discrete - as in not blinding people in cars when I'm walking around the block at night

So which would be better and why? Red or blue filter?

Thanks!

i7r7

Newly Enlightened
I recommend a red filter based on what you have said. It will not disrupt you dark adapted vision as much as blue or other colors will. Full explanation: http://flashlightreviews.home.att.net/qa.htm#nightvision

I have tried using a piece of clear red plastic taped to the front of my Surefire and it works very well when it comes to preserving your night vision. Also, I reckon that red light is more discreet, well more discreet than blue (which I think is a more contrasting color).

Jeff

juancho

Enlightened
The red filter will preserve your night vision, the blue filter is used by hunters following bloods trails at night as the blue light make the red blood stand out as "black".
I have hear also that crime scene technician use the filter for the same reason.
Juan C.

B

Birmingham47

i7r7,
The red tape you use will work, but it could melt/burn to the lens. Be careful with it. If you're using it intermittently it will be fine, but longer constant use may result in you having to get a lens replacement kit. Colored glass or heat resistant thicker plastic works well.
Other uses for the different colors:
green and blue - pilots using NVGs
UV-Police and forensics, auto mechanics
red-military and civilian aviation

Juan,
Police also use a substance called luminol or luminess that they spray on a crime seen. w/ a UV light it shows up fluorescent yellow.

madecov

Flashlight Enthusiast
I use a red filters or LED's as a tool at night when searching buildings. It preserves my night vision and allows me to move about in a building. Since it is also dimmer it has less a chance of giving me away at longer distances or around corners. I use red filters at night around the house so as not to disturb my family when I need to walk around. . Red is a better choice for your application.

i7r7

Newly Enlightened
Madecov, I assume when you say "I use red filters at night around the house so as not to disturb my family when I need to walk around", that you don't want to disturb them when they're sleeping, right?

I would use blue in that situation because red light travels through flesh very well as opposed to blue. I happen to have 6 different color LED keychain lights next to me right now and I just did a little experiment. I held each one up to my eyes while they're closed. Brightness (in order increasing) UV, Blue, Yellow, Green, Red, White.

Red goes through to the eyes best because of the fact that our flesh is red. Therefore, blue would be suitable to not disturb people with thir eyes closed.

However (heheh, you haven't heard the last of it), blue disturbs people with their eyes open. Blue reflecting (or diffused) looks a lot more constrating than any other color (well, besides white but that really isn't a color, it's a tint, just ask any artist).

Jeff

ajnova

Newly Enlightened
Thanks guys for the replies!

2 more questions:

1. If I buy the red filter for my 8AX, will the same cover work over the KL7 LED head?

2. Is this true? I remember reading here, that a member was driving during a bad snow storm. And off to the sidewalk, he saw a bright blue light, and here it was a woman walking and she was using a blue flashlight. The member said that it really stood out, in all the whiteness of the snow and car headlights. He also said he thought red would work too, then thought it be to weak.

I guess what I'm asking, would this be a good tip in bad weather such as snow or fog?

Thanks!

gwbaltzell

Enlightened
I'll catch h*ll for this but neutral densisty gray or use a flashlight that you can adjust the brightness. Or buy a dimmer flash for this purpose like the $6 Dorcy 1 LED 1 AAA.

Xrunner

Flashlight Enthusiast
For night navigation I usually use my L1 on low, or a Dorcy AAA with a depleted cell. I found that I preferred using a dimmer white light instead of a brighter red one, indoors at least. Outdoors is a whole different story. I do have a blue Photon II on my keychain, which works well for general navigation if needed. I guess I'm just not a fan of red as a general purpose light.

-Mike