A Couple of Longbow Micra Questions

JediKnife

Newly Enlightened
I'm interested in the Longbow Micra. I would like to know how the twist/press tailcap works- do you press it for momentary on and tighten it stay on? If so, is the only difference between this and the other clickie tailcap (in functionality) that you don't have to twist the clickie tailcap in order for it to stay on?
Also, I noticed that the AA tube is called the "eco" tube. Also, are there any common quality problems I should be aware of? I've heard a few complaints on these lights, but I'm hoping that they are isolated occurrences. Thanks in advance!

JK

darkzero

Flashaholic* ,
The clickie functions exactly like a kroll because it is one. It must be fully screwed in for it to function (needs to make negative contact with the body). It is click ON and OFF and has momentary ON. If you back it out a bit it will be "locked out"

The twistie is just that, twist ON, twist OFF.

I have a Micra with both style tailcaps and the Eco pack. The Eco pack has a nice feature where you remove the insert and 3x123 will fit. Of course you must use the corresponding module to work with the 3x123s. I believe the stock 1W modules will not handle 3x123 but I'm not for sure and not about to find out. With the Eco pack, the light is too bulky for me especially with the clickie. I got the Eco pack just because and am waiting for whatever they have in store for 3x123.

My only complaint with the light is that the lens scratches too easily. I imediately replaced it with a 22.5mm mineral glass. The Micra I have in OD green pretty much looks like HA-NAT rather than olive drab. No complaints on that though, I love the color. I think the different shades of the anodizing of the head, body, and tailswitches look rather nice.

fluorescent

Enlightened
the twisty can be used as a momentary on. Twist it all the way on then back it off just a bit then push on it..

Skyline

Enlightened
Pushing the twisty doesn't work that well though. I just twist it on and off.

Yes, it does come with a cheap plastic lens. I've replaced mine with a Borofloat 22.6mm from FlashlightLens. I've also got their UCL Longbow lens + oring on order. That should be killer. /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/grin.gif

nightshade

Enlightened
I recently purchased a o.d. micra,the fit and finish is superb, the threads on the twisty run smoothly.It has the feel and look of exactly what it is.One very robust,well designed and executed light.The anodize on mine has that new car gloss that I know I'm gonna feel anxiety about till the first scratch arrives.I hope Longbow markets a wider optic range.The whole system is extremely flexible.Looking forward to a 3 watt addition as well.A superb light at a nice price. Just my two cents worth.

illmatic

Newly Enlightened
Although I'm a noob here (been lurking since 2002), the posts here convinced me to purchase a Longbow Micra. I have to say it is a very well designed light, they definately went to work during the design and manufacturing process. Fit and finish are impeccable...when people say it is "SureFire-quality," they're not joking. I agree that the OD Green resembles Natural Hard Anodized. I personally like the look of the twisty over the clicky, due to size and the knurling, but the clicky is more convenient...form over function for me I guess. As for complaints, my only quirk is an off-center hotspot in mine, other than that, the light is perfect.

However, I would like the opinion of others that own an Arc LSH-P or LSHF-P and the Micra, as to which one they prefer or which one produces a better beam.

Well, wanna thank CPF for helping me burn more money on flashlights. /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/wink.gif

was_jlh

Enlightened
Illmatic, in answer to your question, I have a Micra and a LSH-P, as well as a LSH-S. The Micra has a much tighter bean with better throw, the Arc is a flood compared to it. I prefer the Micra, don't carry the Arcs much now.

kodiak

Enlightened
I like the twisty, Mine does the momentary press quite well, but it would go on easy in a holster. I think I will be getting the clickie. Does anyone know when the booster head will become available? And what will it do to my Micra beam?

Radagast

Enlightened
I have a question. Does the micra come with a clip? If so, is it bezel up or down?

Radagast

Enlightened
Funny...I swear it mentioned a clip in the description at Bulldog. OK, I see, it says optional. This must not be available yet.

alberto

Enlightened
The momentary ON on the Micra twisty works fine except that the tailcap takes up about a third of the length of the light and it's difficult to hold it in a way to get leverage to push the switch. Not complaining (I love the light and the twisty)... just a comment. If you MUST have momentary on, the clickie version would be better.

bald1

Enlightened
Alberto,

I'm a bit confused by your comment about the Micra being difficult to hold and apply pressure to the twisty tail for momentary operation. With the body shape can't it be held in a Rogers style grip to get the twisty momentary function to work?

I've been debating twistie vs clickie and given no stock is available for the clickie tail, the ability to easily use a twistie in momentary mode is important to my deciding to pop for what's available now or wait.

--Bob

Skyline

Enlightened
bald1,

On a combat grip equipped Surefire, there is sufficient distance between the grip ring and the end of the light to have the leverage necessary to press the end against your palm. The Micra is small and the middle of the body where you fit it between your fingers is insufficiently far from the end of the light to have enough leverage.

bald1

Enlightened
Thanks for the sanity check Skyline. Sounds like it'd have to be held like a syringe then with the body between your fore and middle finger and thumb pushing against the tailcap. Not very elegant but maybe doable /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/frown.gif

I'm still undecided about going now for a Micra twistie or waiting for a Micra clickie...........

--Bob

Skyline

Enlightened
Even that won't work very well or at all. There's no grip ring to catch your fingers against. If you want momentary, the clicky is really the best way. Unfortunately, it also adds 0.5" of length.

You could also buy the twisty and get a spare clicky tailcap. This is what I did, although I ended up not using the clicky due to the size difference. I really like the twisty though. /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/smile.gif

BugOutGear_USA

Enlightened
I've just tried both techniques and the utilizing the Micra's twisty as a momentary works fine when using it (like a syringe) or even better if you wrap your entire hand around the light and use your thumb to apply pressure. The Mini works more like a Surefire C2/Z2 w/o the ring, as you can use your inner palm to activate the twisty as a momentary switch. Just my 2 cents...

Regards,
Flavio

sigp6

Newly Enlightened
[ QUOTE ]
BugOutGear_USA said:
I've just tried both techniques and the utilizing the Micra's twisty as a momentary works fine when using it (like a syringe) or even better if you wrap your entire hand around the light and use your thumb to apply pressure. The Mini works more like a Surefire C2/Z2 w/o the ring, as you can use your inner palm to activate the twisty as a momentary switch. Just my 2 cents...

[/ QUOTE ]

Bingo! My experience exactly. I'm very happy with the twisty and have no plans to buy the clickie.