A simple Mag mod I did today

illumiGeek

Enlightened
Got tired of feeding 123 cells to my 2C/3x123 light, so I decided to try and do something with rechargeables. Got a 2D body and one of the 6AA holders from Elektro Lumens. But instead of trying to make the 6AA holder into a "2D" substitute, I just soldered the sucker to the Mag switch.

SBMAG1.JPG

Top it all off with a (non-melting) PMR and a UCL...

SBMAG2.JPG

With higher drain lamps like the GH24 I figure I'm probably getting around the same power as 3x123, and run time should be longer. Not to mention more consistent light output due to a flatter discharge curve.

It's dark outside, so I think I'll go play...

Any suggestions for lamps that will drive well from 6xNiMh will be appreciated.

Aloha, iG

Ginseng

Flashlight Enthusiast
That's pretty neat, Geek. 5AA and 6AA in a 2D body is a nice combo for both LED and incan mods.

Wilkey

3rd_shift

Flashlight Enthusiast
www.Inretech.com helios adaptor might be interesting in that one, if you want a shadowbuster for an hour or so. /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/ooo.gif /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/bowdown.gif
A mag 6cell+ incandescant would be a lot cheaper, and also fairly bright for a 2cell body.
For really long bulb life and a 3-4 hour runtime, a pr20 incandescant bulb could also work in that one.
Good luck.

Bullzeyebill

Flashaholic
I have three of those GH24's, one is frosted. I might try that mod. Is Wayne's 6AA holder different than the RadioShack model? Those GH24's are rated for 5 or 6 rechargeable batteries. I am using one in my 5C MagLite, fairly bright, but I know whould be really bright with 6C NiMH's.

Bill

illumiGeek

Enlightened
The GH24 at spec is unimpressive.

On 3x123 it is very nice, but chews through batteries like mad (maybe 10 mins full brightness; 30 mins of useful light).

On 6xNiMh it's bright, but not as bright as fresh 3x123.

I tried it on 7x NiCAD (high output) and it was awesome. Ran through 2 charge cycles, then it flashed on the 3rd. Problem is every one I have put in since has flashed immediately. /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/mad.gif Even after I ran a 9V lamp in the light for a little while to take the "edge" off the freshly charged batteries.

I think the GH24 drives to "Flashaholic" levels somewhere between 6 & 7 rechargeables. I really thought the 7 NiCAD rig would work out well. And it did the first run! It was really nice! Not sure what's going on now, but after flashing 4 lamps I'm ready to give up on the 7xNiCAD set up. /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/mecry.gif

Bullzeyebill

Flashaholic
I think with lower resistance rechargeable C or D's that the GH24 will shine. I tried the three 123's also. It really pulls the voltage down fast. Possibly 1/2D's, 3500mA, would be nice. Run in a four D Mag? Might be tight. Use 1/2D's, with nipples, that Wilkey is selling in another thread.

Bill

Bullzeyebill

Flashaholic
Re GH24's, I just finished comparing my SL15X with 20X LA and my 5C MagLite with 4.5mA batteries with a GH24 bulb. Both fairly fresh off charger. The 5C puts out more light overall than SL20X LA, and essentially the same lux at 1 meter. 5C has an orange peel PMR. I tested in dark bathroom for overall light using my LM631 lightmeter. That GH would be a killer in a 6 cell light. Using my rating system, the Sl20X LA put out 19, and the 5C maglite with GH24. Six cells would probably put out a rating of 35-40, pusing SL35X territory.

Bill

illumiGeek

Enlightened
Hmmm... just tried it on 6 of the high output NiCAD cells (Sanyo CP-1300SCR) and it does seem a bit whiter and brighter. /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/thinking.gif

Odd. At a little under 2A load I wouldn't think there would be much difference between NiCAD and NiMh -- in fact, I would have thought NiMh would have been a bit better due to its slightly higher voltage.

I'm gonna have to take some measurements of my 6AA rig. Maybe there's some extra resistance in there somewhere...

Ginseng

Flashlight Enthusiast
Bill,
Those 4.5mA batteries must have a pretty short runtime /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/wink.gif

Geek,
What grade of GP cells are you running. Maybe they sag a bit more for some reason. I've found the resistance of a "clean" mag to very low...nowhere near 500mO.

Wilkey

illumiGeek

Enlightened
Yea, that seemed high to me too. But it's a brand new Mag purchased the day I did the mod. I just took it apart completely and cleaned all the parts. The switch alone reads 0.1 ohm. Put together I still get 0.5 for the complete circuit (lamp; switch; battery holder).

Checked my other Mag (the really old one running the Sanyo high rate cells) and the switch alone on that one is 0.2 ohm. Didn't check the complete circuit, but with the corroded tail cap, rusty spring, and wad of aluminum foil I can't imagine it would be less than the new one. Maybe the high readings are my meter acting up? Anyway... it looks like it's not a resistance problem making the difference in the lights.

I did compare the lights outside tonight and the difference is dramatic. The 6xNiCAD light is way brighter than the 6xNiMh light. Tried switching lamps and got the same result.

As to the "grade" of the GP cells? No idea. They're just GP2000 NiMh cells. I wouldn't think that at less than 2A load there would be much sag, but that must be what's happening. Tried some older "greenie" cells. Same. Got some newer 2300mAH cells on the charger now. We'll see...

Looks like the GH24 may need 7 NiMh; at least with AA size driving it.

The 6xNiCAD is very nice. Wanted something a bit smaller than the 3D host I have it in now. May have to find someone to ream out the tail cap on my 3C a bit so I can stuff the 6 Sanyos in there.

Ginseng

Flashlight Enthusiast
Geek,
I stuffed 6xCP1300SCR into my 3C and I had to grind away some of the aluminum inside the threads to allow the 6 cell stick to extend partway into the tailcap. A Dremel and carving bit does just fine. Oh yeah, the rear of the tailcap needs to be cleaned of anodize so that a compression spring can be installed. 6x1/2SC will fit, but it's tight.

Strange about the batteries. I'll be running a voltage test on the WA01183 and 4x1/2SC tonight so you might want to look for that data.

Wilkey

Wilkey