LED Refrigerator lights?

MDM

Newly Enlightened
Ok, I know this may sound a little off-beat, but has anyone run across the equivalent to a 40-watt or less refrigerator light bulb? My incandescent bulb just died and it made me wonder if anyone is producing these.

jbrett14

Enlightened
Yeah, it would be impossible to justify that kind of price, since the normal life expectancy of a refrigerator is less than 10 years. During that time, you will probably only replace the bulb 3 times. This is not exactly the type of application where an LED prevails.

MDM

Newly Enlightened
Sage advice, jeffyr and jbrett14. I'll save my money for something I really need, like another........................ LED flashlight!

Just purchased the Longbow Micra from Bulldog...

Rothrandir

Flashaholic
fridge and freezer led mods is something that i've wanted to do because, well, just because.
do i have a practical reason? no...

i'm not one to normally use the "because i can" excuse, but i think it applies here /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/grin.gif

reviewum

Enlightened
Hey... i just noticed the fridge light is out.... now I've got a reason to use some LEDs!!!

---------EDIT----------

Just pulled the thing out... it is 125 Volt!!! /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/mecry.gif

I was totally expecting a 12 volt light in there! Oh well.

JJHitt

Enlightened
All I can say is the color rendition would have to be PERFECT.

My wife throws food out 5 seconds after the 'Sell By Date' expires....

reviewum

Enlightened
haha... maybe some UV to kill a few of the bugs in there!

Any easy ways to drop down 120 other than using 37 LEDs in series? :)

PeLu

Flashlight Enthusiast
LEDs should be nice in a freezer as their efficiency is higher when cold and therefore they produce less heat and safe energy and....
OK, I'm shure we will read it here when the first refrigerator with LEDs comes out.

3rd_shift

Flashlight Enthusiast
Anybody that can make those, maybe ought to contact refrigerator manufacturers about it and maybe land a contract to make them for some of the higher end freezers and fridges made. /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/bowdown.gif /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/thumbsup.gif
Good luck modders! /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/buttrock.gif

lightnix

Enlightened
Just wondering if strips of LEDs might be an idea. My only concern here would be the narrow beam angle of most LEDs - it might not make them the ideal source for this application.

3rd_shift

Flashlight Enthusiast
They should be ok with refrigerator type diffusers over them.
www.besthongkong.com may have the answer if anyone wants to try a serious fridgemod. /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/banghead.gif /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/wink.gif
www.Inretech.com also has a 63 led strip if there's a 12 volt supply available inside the delicious confines of the fridge. /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/crackup.gif

Rothrandir

Flashaholic
you get inside, and i'll shut the door /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/grin.gif

Doug Owen

Flashlight Enthusiast
[ QUOTE ]
reviewum said:
Any easy ways to drop down 120 other than using 37 LEDs in series? :)

[/ QUOTE ]

The 'traditional solution' is to use a series capacitor. That is Xc which is 'one over two pi times F times C'. That's Frequency in cycles a second (60) and C in Farads.

If you do a bit of snooping around in the electronics forum you'll find some good stuff there, some of the best by MrAl (no surprise considering....).

On a more personal note, you know the LED nightlight you gave me? That way......

Doug Owen

reviewum

Enlightened
Doug,

I didn't even think about that! Maybe I'll give that a try.... actually, on second thought maybe I should get the lower voltages down before I start messing with things that could give me a good shock! :)

INRETECH

Flashlight Enthusiast
Always use a transformer, to lower the voltage and provide isolation

110 is nothing to laugh at, several people a year underestimate the dangers of line voltage - and pay the ultimate price

A small transformer is very cheap insurance

3rd_shift

Flashlight Enthusiast
Hey Mike, does Inretech offer a 12 volt transformer for the 63 led stripled light?
If not, is there a cold, Oregon coast weather, outdoor version of a 12 volt transformer that would work in there? /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/grin.gif
In some fridges, a plug socket adapter could be used to get power to the transformer and to the stripled. /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/smile.gif