Ban political/religious debate in the Cafe?

What is the average price you pay for gas now?

• Total voters

Greymage

Enlightened
I tend to think it should... I really doubt anyone's mind is going to be changed, it gets people all excited and wastes bandwidth... there are plenty of other forums out there for these...

What does everyone else think?

jhereg

Enlightened
I don't think it should be banned. It might be good to keep the mods around to thump people or lock threads if people get carried away, but I wouldn't ban those topics. These forums are too much like a community or family. Occasionally you will have sharp differences of opinion w/ people, but that's natural. If it happens lock the thread & let people know why. Don't ban the topics because it MIGHT cause an argument.

jayflash

Flashlight Enthusiast
No vote buttons appear but I'll vote YES, to promote the exchange of ideas and information. Sometimes we do change our minds on important issues when someone shares new info or points of view. Not everybody is so ridged that new facts will be ignored when they contradict what we presently believe. The exchange of ideas is healthy and should not be banned.

Rothrandir

Flashaholic
well, it looks like the poll is over and the results are tied! /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/grin.gif

what now? /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/thinking.gif

paulr

Flashaholic
I think such a ban wouldn't work unless another forum is added for it (which would be an ok idea). Part of the reason the Cafe exists is that without it, the flashlight forums would be full of non-flashlight stuff. I'd say if a particular topic is starting to swamp the Cafe and the mods want to steer it elsewhere, the best way is to add another sub-forum or two.

raggie33

*the raggedier*
I think well there healthy to have. But people need to recall we all are from difenent backgrounds.And we wont always agree. And they also need to learn to debate with out name callling.

Greta

Flashaholic
Well... as I seem to have the final say around here... and I am the one who would have to do all the work to either put up a new forum or run around banning everyone who violates the ban on such topics... things will remain as they are... and people will just have to learn to behave like mature adults when these topics do come up.

Empath

Flashaholic
Neither political nor religious discussion presents a problem. The problem develops when someone becomes obsessed, and campaigns relentlessly to promote their opinion. In other words, the problem is not with the subject; it's with a few members that as yet don't recognize, or care, that they are a problem.

Religious and political discussions may attract the problem (problem members), but subject isn't the problem.

Personally, I'd rather kick a few people off, rather than censor topics. It seems more fair to the group as a whole.

jhereg

Enlightened
[ QUOTE ]
Empath said:
Religious and political discussions may attract the problem (problem members), but subject isn't the problem.

Personally, I'd rather kick a few people off, rather than censor topics. It seems more fair to the group as a whole.

[/ QUOTE ]

That is a very good attitude. We would be much better off if our government/politicians did things that way.

Topper

Flashaholic*
[ QUOTE ]
IlluminatingBikr said:
Keep everything how it is.

[/ QUOTE ]
I agree I can choose to post or not post as well as choose to not read it if I do not want to.
Topper /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/smile.gif

Icebreak

Flashlight Enthusiast
[ QUOTE ]
Empath said:
The problem develops when someone becomes obsessed, and campaigns relentlessly to promote their opinion.

[/ QUOTE ]

Happily, CPF administrators see this and are not at all fooled by divicive techniques or techniques that are catalysts. There was an example of this running yesterday that was very difficult to hold back commenting on. Truth be known, I was tempering a candidate post when the thread originator came in and straightened out the thread. This was after his initial plea for cool had been argued with and ignored. This was also after an admininstator had given a gentle warning which was argued with then a rather transparent divergence technique was employed as an attempt to befuddle the administrator.

A large problem is when an obvious professional campaigner makes their presence known. They've spent years perfecting their skills and can be effective using verbal mechanics to reach their goals on a public forum. Professionals may have larger goals that encompass multiple arenas at a national or even world level.

Campaign oriented posters? Their promoting of an agenda is an aberration to the spirit of CPF. Their activity is a misuse, IMO. No matter how polite their individual posts appear to be; from my prospective, the body of the sum of their posts is intellectually insulting and that is quite impolite.

- Jeff

Kiessling

Flashaholic
Please do not ban those topics. I personally learned much in those discussions, even when not participating. I learned about the subject of those discussions as well as techniques used and how to behave and pay attention to what others might perceive as an attack or what might unintentionally hurt them.
Of course it is very much unlikely that the foundations of my person would change due to those debates, but wisdom comes in small steps and I might even emerge stronger than I was before.
So again, leave it open /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/smile.gif

Jeff, excellent post, as always /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/thumbsup.gif

bernhard

metalhed

Enlightened
Thousands and thousands of men and women from numerous countries (but specifically the US), have given their lives so that we may be free from unnecessary government enforced limits on our freedom of speech. I believe it is the duty of every American to work to see that their sacrifice means something. It doesn't if we continually self-censor our communications because we are uncomfortable with what might be said. IMHO, it is our duty as Americans to speak respectfully when we are motivated, and to listen respectfully when we are done speaking. I vote no to any limits on dialogue here on CPF...save for those necessary to preserve the function and existence of the boards themselves.

Darell

Flashaholic
Wow! This has GOT to be the most intelligent discussion on these topics that I've yet seen here. I am most impressed with what Empath and Icebreak just said. /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/thumbsup.gif I won't try to add anything 'cause I'd just mess it up. Of course here we all are preaching to the choir here. How do we get this message across to the folks who need to hear it?

Charles Bradshaw

Flashlight Enthusiast
[ QUOTE ]
Empath said:
Neither political nor religious discussion presents a problem. The problem develops when someone becomes obsessed, and campaigns relentlessly to promote their opinion. In other words, the problem is not with the subject; it's with a few members that as yet don't recognize, or care, that they are a problem.

[/ QUOTE ]

Problem member? You must be talking about me.

Icebreak

Flashlight Enthusiast
Well, Darell (of course) that's not my call but I do have a suggestion. My take is that those type people cannot change because their ambition out weighs the value of their connection to the community. Possibly a two-week probation would work. They can't post for two weeks. The two-week probation would be a professional courtesy. If they come back they should be watched carefully. If after this they still want to be Pinky and Brain and take over the world using CPF, they should be shown the door. Just a suggestion.