What's the brightest LED flashlight available NOW?

regularguy

Newly Enlightened
What\'s the brightest LED flashlight available NOW?

I was wondering what's the brightest LED flashlight available now-a-days?

Conditions:
1. Throw or flood, it does not matter. Just as long as there's alot of light! /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/smile.gif
(I prefer a flood but throw is ok too)
2. I don't want to have to modify. Turn key is important.
3. Size - smaller or equal in size to a mag 2d.
4. Price - less than $150.00.

Thanks!
regularguy

bwaites

Flashlight Enthusiast
Re: What\'s the brightest LED flashlight available NOW?

The obvious answer with those figures is a SpaceNeedleII.

Limited production, but nevertheless available, at least if you know the right people!

Bill

idleprocess

Flashaholic
Re: What\'s the brightest LED flashlight available

I have a feeling that as soon as the VIP gets into the hot little hands of the general public, MR BULK mods are going to be tough to come by...

regularguy

Newly Enlightened

I like the SNII (at least from what I've read and heard) but I hear the runtime on 3 123's is like 15 minutes or something.

Anything with more of a "usable" runtime?

bwaites

Flashlight Enthusiast

My SNII runs better than an hour on 3 123's at very close to max brightness, and I have previously posted runtimes on mine with 6 NiMH AA's.

Any other SNII owners out there who can chime in?

Bill

SilverFox

Flashaholic

Hello RegularGuy,

I'll put a vote in for the HyperLux V.

Tom

Doug S

Flashlight Enthusiast

[ QUOTE ]
regularguy said:
I was wondering what's the brightest LED flashlight available now-a-days?

[/ QUOTE ] RG:, perhaps a bit off-topic, but "brightness" seems to mean very different things to different people. This was explored in a thread recently:
brightness?
Perhaps the most interesting post in that thread was the one in which the poster stated that it never occurred to him that anyone thought of brightness differently than he did. Language can be a slippery thing.

Bill.H

Enlightened

Check Elektrolumens. He has a 4x3W 4D model, but it doesn't mmet your size requirement. There's a 3C model (FT3C) that is probably close in size to a 2D mag (thinner, about the same length but possibly a bit longer).
I think those are the best for brightness+runtime.

regularguy

Newly Enlightened

bwaites - If the SNII's runtime is closer to an hour than 15 minutes, it seems like the light I'm looking for. (I mean, I hear so much about the SNII, I hope I don't have too much expectations from it.) But's it's not really available now, is it? How long did the 6 AA's run the light? Can anyone else chime in on the runtime?

SilverFox - (Hello!) What kind of beam does the Hyperlux produce? Is it a flood, spot w/ flood or a spot? Is the beam adjustable? What's the runtime? Thanks!

Doug S - Good point. I guess what I define brightness by is more towards the "intense" light-side. For example, a maglite can be focused from spot to flood. When it's closer to the spot side, it "looks" alot brighter than when it's closer to the flood side. I assume both are putting out equal amounts of "lumens" but to my eyes, one looks brighter than the other. I think most people would agree with this, no? But then again, just because it has a spot doesn't mean I would want it. For example.. even though at 6 feet, my X1 looks brighter at a target than my Arc or Photon, doesn't necessarily mean I would get it over the others.

So I guess if I could get a flood light that was as bright "everywhere" as the hotspot of a "spot", then I guess that's what I want! /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/grin.gif

So for everyone out there helping this regularguy out, what's the brightest LED light you own? And does it fit my critera? Even if it doesn't, I want to know!

Thanks!
regularguy

bwaites

Flashlight Enthusiast

Well, I'm getting 1 hour 15 minutes at so close to 100% I can't see the drop off, then 15-30 minutes at 70%, then slowly dimming to 20-25% over the next hour, then holds at 20+% for more than an hour.

I haven't done a straight run down on 123's, but know I got well over an hour with intermittant use.

There are quite a few SNII's out there, and B/S/T has a fair number come up from time to time. If you can get the 6AA extender, go for it.

Bill

PieThatCorner

Enlightened

regularguy - as others have mentioned, I would have to agree that the SNII fits your description the best, and they do show up from time to time in B/S/T. My unofficial runtime "test" was more of an accident - constant-on while working on a golf cart chassis... . . ...yeah, well anyway /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/rolleyes.gif - a solid 45 minutes from 3 SF123's that already had a few minutes of runtime on them. I think that's pretty darn good for the amount of light you get with this thing.

I was fortunate enough to get what I suspect is a V2T 5W... and by all other criteria, it's definitely a "Bulk-binned" 5 watter... it's very white and bright.

-Jim

Eric S

Newly Enlightened

The brightest is probly the Elecktrolumens Tristar for under $120, and I have SNII. It`s available in 4D an 4C form. Inretech has some 3x3 watt mag dropins for around $130. The Helios is most likely the brightest led available (3x5w LS) but it`s $200+

Rothrandir

Flashaholic

if you're going to count the sn2 in this, you might as well include the mr x also.

personally, i wouldn't consider either to be "available", both since they're mods, and since they aren't being sold new now.

i'm not sure exactly what elektrolumens is offering at this time, but he might have something that fits the bill in several aspects.

Reno

Enlightened

Gotta chime in with a biased vote for my DD PR-T...

Destroys every other led light (under six inches long) with ease. Still wasting the Arc 4 after roughly two hours of constant-on. Did I forget to mention it's rechargeable??

paulr

Flashaholic

I think the runtime of the SN2 is going to vary considerably from one unit to the next, because of the differing voltage bins of the LED's. It may also vary with different brands of batteries to a greater extent than non-DD lights do.

3rd_shift

Flashlight Enthusiast

You guys are not even close to an Inretech mega six 30 watt 6x5watt emitter 6d mag conversion kit if you want flood. /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/huh.gif
Or the 3x5watt Helios in the 6d mag for some throw. /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/ooo.gif
Btw; the Elektrolumens 4d tristar is direct drive and cannot run on rechargeable batteries. /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/thumbsdown.gif
My favorite bright led light is my Trilight3 4d.
It runs great on nimhs, thanks to a little added series resistance.(Thank you Mike!) /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/thumbsup.gif
Up to you on what you want.
www.inretech.com
www.elektrolumens.com

Free

Enlightened

I love Tri-Lux Lights. I have two C'Cell TriStars that are my current favorites, and I have a 4 D TriStar and the new Phazer from Elektrolumens on the way. These have to be up there in the brightest category. Wayne also made me a 3X5W 6D TriStar that I keep by my bedside to blast intruders.

I also am planning on getting a Dragon-9 from Barbarin /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/smile.gif

3rd_shift

Flashlight Enthusiast

Goodness gratious Free, you are almost in need of help as I am for flashoholics anonymous. /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/crackup.gif
Good luck on those lights. /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/smile.gif
If you can get some pics of those together, that would really be cool. /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/thumbsup.gif