Can you mod a Surefire Z2 to use the p91 lamp?

Stickles01

Newly Enlightened
I have just purchased the Z2 because of the use of the pistol Rogers/Surefire method. I was wondering if you can modify the Z2 head to accept the P91 lamp assembly. It probably is the wrong diameter and needs more more voltage (I assume 9v vs. 6v)

Thanks in advance

Size15's

Flashaholic
To convert a 6V (two SF123A) SureFire to a 9V (three SF123A)you need to increase the length of the body to hold the third SF123A required to power the P90/P91 lamps. This is done by using the A19. This means you will not be able to use the CombatGrip since the A19 screws onto the body between the body and the TailCap.

Al

jtice

Flashaholic
[ QUOTE ]
maverick said:
stickles, why didn't you just buy the C3 Centurion?

[/ QUOTE ]

Cuz, he is an impulse buyer, and saw it cheap. /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/wink.gif

I wasnt aware of an extention for it, nice to know the oprion exist.
A 3x123 light might be hard to use that gripo style anyway, might hang out too far to hold easily. ?? /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/icon3.gif

maverick

Enlightened
I tend to agree with jtice that the 3x123 lights are not as comfortable to use. The Z2, G2Z, M2, C2 etc lights feel much better with a handgun. But then again, if you need more light for longer.... /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/icon3.gif

FluffyGrunt

Enlightened
You might try over in the mod forum and see if someone would build you a circuit that you could drop in and boost the power to the lamp. As for size the P60/61 90/91 are all the same size. Just the voltage that's the problem. That would be cool though 200 lumens from a tiny 2 cell light /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/buttrock.gif.

mohr

Newly Enlightened
hi,
i use a P90 in a G2Z with 2 rechargeable cr123a. they are 4.2 v fully charged and power the P90 for about 25 min.
i also use a P91 in a C2 but it runs only for 6-10 min.
the rechargeable cr123a are working great but you have to be carefull with discharging them. never let the voltage go under 2.5 v or the battery will be damaged. change the cr123a when you think the lamp gets dimmer or like i do after every 20 min use (P90)
christian

Stickles01

Newly Enlightened
I was thinking of an op-amp to boost the voltage, and a similar circuit to boost the current. But then I have to get out my books, and find a PCB software package such as trace, and then send it to some PCB manufacuring company, probably end up costing me over $500, but then again, I could just use the lamp assembly and see what happens. Does anyone know where I can get a light meter for real cheap?(probably a dumb question, but I haven't researched light meters if that's what they're even called)

matt1987

Newly Enlightened
if you got the money go for SureFire M3 OR M3T, they are the BEST 3 Cell SureFire. Plus you the the 125 Lumens and 225 Lumens Lamp /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/grin.gif

sween1911

Flashlight Enthusiast
Having run around in the dark during Force-On-Force exercises, I can assure you that for most usage, the 6V lights are bright enough and light enough and balance well for use with a handgun. The Z2 is an excellent light to use just the way it is for it's intended purpose. /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/smile.gif Just my .02.

Modding a light is beautiful thing /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/buttrock.gif but don't compromise it's effectiveness if you really intend to use it for defense.

matt1987

Newly Enlightened
yeah!! that's right!! my E2 is bright when i use it in my house, is a flat.. getting a KL3 soon...