Terralux MiniStar2

tygger

Enlightened
Please people who own one of these give me some feedback. I've read the reviews but want your real impressions. Is the ministar2 brighter than the UK 4AAeLED? How well does their custom reflector work? I like the long runtime and relative brightness but haven't seen anyone say they're really satisfied with this drop in.

PJD

Flashlight Enthusiast
I had a MiniStar2. I sold it to raise funds for a VIP...but it's not that I wasn't satisfied with it's performance, because I WAS satisfied. I can't compare the MiniStar2 side by side with UK 4AA LED since I've sold it, but I do own the UK, and to the best of my recollection the MiniStar was noticably brighter than the UK. That's not a slam on the UK...I think it's rock-steady regulation and awesome runtime make it a winner. But the MiniStar IS a good drop-in mod for a MM. It's brighter by a noticable margin than the UK at the obvious cost of runtime.

PJD

Roy

Farewell our Curmudgeon Administrator
Using the data from the runtime plots in the Reviews Forum, I got the following information:

MiniStar2 195Fc at 1Ft and runtime of 5h 2m
UK4AA 204Fc at 1Ft and runtime of 11h 12m

As far as brightness goes, the brightest portion of the beams are about the same between the two lights. The runtime difference probably has to do with the number of batteries....2xAA vs 4xAA. The width of the spill light area of the Uk4AA is about 2x that of the MiniStar2. The hot spot of the Uk4AA is probably 3x-4x larger diameter than that of the MiniStar2.

IMHO the MiniStar2 is more of a flood light and the UK4AA is more of a spot light.

tygger

Enlightened
thanks for the data Roy. But since the UK4AA has a larger hot spot than the MiniStar2 wouldn't the MiniStar2 be more of a spot light than the UK4AA? Just curious. Also, are there any custom reflectors for sale that would give the MiniStar2 a brighter, tighter spot?

AK

Newly Enlightened
Though I am by no means a flashaholic (at least not yet!) I can give a thumbs up to the MiniStar2. The reflector produces a nice hotspot with good spill for walking, the light is surprisingly bright, and unlike some other LED maglight drop-ins that I've tried, the maglight retains its focus functionality.

TrueBlue

Flashlight Enthusiast
Does anyone that uses a MiniStar2 also own a Madmax or Badboy sandwich? I was wondering how MiniStar2 would rate in brightness next to a MM or BB.

UncleFester

Flashaholic*,
I have a ministar2. I liked the beam color. IMHO the overall light output is about the same a stock minimag with fresh batteries. 15 minutes into the runtime, the ministar wins hands down.
What I didn't like is the "fractured" beam it produces. Yes, the focus function is supposed to be still available, but it only changes the shape of the irregular blob of light. There is no longer the spot funtion of the stock bulb. HOWEVER it can be made to focus beautifully by replacing the side emitting LED with a high dome. In my case, a LUX 3. Then the focus works wonderfully.
Just my two cents' worth
Fester
PS I think I had to ream out the hole in the reflector so it fit over the black part of the LED.

Neg2LED

Flashlight Enthusiast
hmmm. maybe ill get me a Ministar2, de-solder the side emitter, and pop on a Lux 1 watt HighDome - would i be able to get $15 from selling an unused (soldered once but not turned on) Side Emitter Lux emitter chip? if i can, then i know where to get a LuxI white emitter, so im peachy /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/smile.gif

Neg

UncleFester

Flashaholic*,
Maybe somebody will want your SE. If you find him, maybe he'll want mine too. /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/icon3.gif
Also, I have a BB650/LUX3 sandwich. I discovered that the SO17-XA reflector simply drops in. The focus works pretty well. I was able to hold the outer end of the reflector with an O ring in the bezel. I got it from Home Depot. Their #13 STK# 35730B
OD 7/8
ID 11/16
THK 3/32
Fester

PlayboyJoeShmoe

Flashaholic
Fester, are you talking SO17-XA droping right in to a minim*g? If so, based on what I've seen so far....

I GOTTA HAVE ONE!!!!!! /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/drool.gif /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/drool.gif /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/drool.gif /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/drool.gif /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/grinser2.gif /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/grinser2.gif /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/grinser2.gif /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/icon15.gif /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/icon15.gif /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/icon15.gif /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/broke.gif /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/broke.gif /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/broke.gif /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/banghead.gif /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/banghead.gif /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/banghead.gif

UncleFester

Flashaholic*,
PJS, Yep, I'm talking about a 2AA MiniMag with a Bad Boy 650 Sandwich from the Sandwich Shoppe. IMHO I don't see much reason to get another light that size. It's running that LUX3 at 650 mA which makes quite a bit of light. It's relatively inexpensive and it runs on AA nimh's or alkies you could get anywhere. Not no steenking fancy expensive photo batteries. If a person wanted better run times he could use a Mad Max sandwich instead of the BB.
Just my observations. Let me know how it works out.
Fester

Neg2LED

Flashlight Enthusiast
ok, ill keep a look out. TerraLux, here i come! looks like ill be buying me ANOTHER minimag (i have one normal - with Flashlight Tuner Tailcap (mainly for comparing with the other M0Ds), one with NewBeam, one with a random blue 5mm led, and now ill need one for my Terralux!

neg

PlayboyJoeShmoe

Flashaholic
Far out Fester!!!!

Mine is an older MM in a scratched up late 80's mini. I did the "Killer Minim*g Mod" of attaching a M*g c/d reflector to the front of it, and the results are simply amazing!

If similar results can be has in the conventional head assly, man what a light that would be!!!!

I also don't notice the pink/purple tint of my MM when fired out of that reflector.... any thoughts guys?