Best rechargable for enforcement stunning purposes

Jerimoth

Newly Enlightened
OK, so I got another call at the ranger station from 911 saying again we had noisy group in the campground. I did basically the same thing i described in my October confrontation, using my Lupine headlight. See link to last incident It does wonders as I scan the eyes of our drunken campers and effectively put them out of commission and temporarily throwing them off. This time, however, I brought with me two female rangers who happened to be sleeping in the next cabin. I provided them with two Surges. It really helped to have disembodied voices and lights suspended from three different places. (The female rangers were probably more aggressive than me, to their credit in this situation.) So my question is, what other (handheld) lights should I be considering for this purpose? Short of a dominator 10x (too much $) I've been considering the Tigerlight, the UltraStinger, and the brightest Pila light. How would these compare for this purpose, and are there other lights I should consider in the 100+ lumen range? Thanks! Jerimoth, Park Ranger.

JonSidneyB

Flashlight Enthusiast
All three of them would be good choices. The Pila Does not have as long of a reach as the other two lights but puts up a wider beam. If you will also want this light to reach out far, the other two might serve you better. If the distance if a little shorter, the shotgun of light might be nice. The Pilas have the advantage of being able to run off of 123s and rechargables. I don't think this is a feature you are interested in but the Pila GL4 also makes a Very good Sap or short billy with its over engineered construction. It is a very stout light. Also new heads are cheap for it if you did manage to damage it.

JasonC8301

Flashlight Enthusiast
I am not sure about OC carrying as a Park Ranger, but they should let you carry one right?

A Tigerlight easily overpowered most of the people who live in my residence hall. This is even with hall lighting and such. In an almost pitch black forest (I live in the city and urban areas lol) a Tigerlight should be VERY bright. With the OC capable model, if the campers get rowdy, you can use less lethal force of OC, if not you can switch to lethal force.

I am not sure how a Lupine light compares to a Tigerlight. I personally don't have a Ultrastinger or Pila lights, so no comments there.

Jerimoth

Newly Enlightened
Thanks everybody. It seems that the Wolfeyes are close to the Tigerlight in brightness, with the Tigerlight having the advantage of OC, which is good because backup can take a while in a park. I couldn't tell if the batteries and charger for the Wolfeyes were Pilas as sold by Jon- that might be a plus since I have other lights that could use Pilas as well. So based upon feedback as of now I'm considering the Tigerlight and the Wolfeyes.

JasonC8301

Flashlight Enthusiast
[ QUOTE ]
Jerimoth said:
Thanks everybody. It seems that the Wolfeyes are close to the Tigerlight in brightness, with the Tigerlight having the advantage of OC, which is good because backup can take a while in a park.

[/ QUOTE ]

I was checking out the sight for Wolfseyes and from what I can read, the 4 cell light on paper seems attractive with the LED's on the tailcap.

As Jon said, if you want something to reach out and light someone the US or TL might bea good choice. If you can get close all three can do the job but bnased upon what Jon said, the Pilas offer more sidespill.

On second though, froget the TL and Wolfeyes Pila series.

Get this. 3400 lumens and HID /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/smile.gif Well $1400 seems really steep.

I have my Tigerlight and it offers over 250 lumens of retina searing light.

3rd_shift

Flashlight Enthusiast
As a nightshift security officer, my vote would be to get a rechargeable gellcell spotlight with an offroad h3 halogen in it for about $25 to 45 dollars. /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/smile.gif
I have a $40, 7 pound vector megasportspot 3million cp I used to take with me to some of the sites the other guards didn't wanna go. /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/smoker5.gif
I had disruptive individuals look up to me like I was God about to punish them when I arrived with that light. /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/bowdown.gif
A longer running led at over 200 lumens also does the same thing since most disruptive people are usually struck with awe at the strength and color of the light.
www.elektrolumens.com
www.inretech.com
I currently carry an Inretech Trilight3 4d Magmod with Nexcell 8500mah nimh D cells in it, and charge them with a Vanson Smart Charger in the morning when I get home.
Here's some pics of trilight3.
http://www.geocities.com/cpf_3rd_shift/trilight3_2.html?1079808438270
It's here at this thread
Good luck.

madecov

Flashlight Enthusiast
The Wolf-Eyes/Pila has a wide side spill, it is very bright and has decent throw. I have used mine at night to disorient people on traffic stops. Drunks absolutely hate the amount of light that it puts out. The Pila is also very user friendly with a clickie tail switch and easy to carry on the duty belt.

Jerimoth

Newly Enlightened
Jason..where do you get the number 250 lumens? I couldn't find it in any of TL's literature, and in searches of CPF. Seems like it would be almost twice as many lumens as the Wolf-Eyes, although I have to say having a lower light LED in the tail could be very useful when you don't want/need all of that raw power. A lot of our campers are drunk, so these very bright lights are especially useful in dealing with them and getting them to put their fires out, get back in their tents, etc. I'll also look into the other sites recommended here. Thanks.

JonSidneyB

Flashlight Enthusiast
you will probably have an easier time getting this light in the US under the Pila name rather than the Wolf-Eyes name. *shameless plug*

Jerimoth

Newly Enlightened
Jon- I appreciate that info- I hadn't realized that they were the same- since I have other lights that will eventually switch to Pila's since they're eating up 123s I may take you up on that offer, but waiting until my next paycheck to decide. Thanks!

JasonC8301

Flashlight Enthusiast
Jerimoth.. I would say 250 to be a round number (on the VERY conservative side.) A ball park would be 285-300 lumens.

How did I arrive at that? Comparing it to other flashlights. Out of all the flashlights I own that is the brightest one with lots of side spill.

This is compared to Mag 2C mod running an KP112 and 3 X CR123's, Pelican M6 Incandescent, SL Scorpion, and some stock Mag's from 2-D to 6D.

Jerimoth

Newly Enlightened
Jason- As soon as I get my next paycheck I'm tempted to spring for the Tigerlight, and then maybe save up over the next month or so for the Wolf-Eyes/Pila light. Madecov- I noticed in another post from you that you prefer the 3 cell light rather than the 4...is the 4 too big for a duty belt? What about a light to keep in my truck when I'm doing rounds? I don't do traffic stops- just patrolling in the park and at the campground, so I'm thinking of getting the Tigerlight, since it's heavier for the truck and a Pila, either 3 or 4, to carry in my pack when i'm in the woods. Thanks for all the suggestions.

Unicorn

Flashlight Enthusiast
For truck carry i agree with 3rd Shift. Go with a rechargeable spotlight that has a 100 watt H3 bulb. Vector for instance, or Galls. Or even the twin bulb Vector. Not too easy to carry and a short run time, but for vehicle use, very handy.
I'd also consider a rechargeable Maglite for the truck if you need a longr reach.

madecov

Flashlight Enthusiast
My M-90/GL4 is the one I carry on my belt. I have the clickie cap, as that works better for me. It fits perfectly in a safariland "ASP" holder. My 3 cell lights are back ups, or mounted as a weapon light on my shotgun. The GL4 is larger than a Stinger but is much brighter and has a way longer run time so the small difference in size is more than offset by performance.

bald1

Enlightened
Re: Best rechargable for enforcement stunning purp

The Inretech Trilight3 4d Magmod is rated at 240 lumens where as the Tigerlight conservatively runs 275. I wanted blinding light plus reach (throw) which eliminated the otherwise excellent Pila GL4 series (130/195 lumen). I am *VERY* pleased with my Tigerlight FBOP w/UCL.

Ironically I work at a B1-B base and noted that the USAF has recently selected the Tigerlight for security force use after exhaustive evaluation. Not sure what other models they scoped out, but the non-pepper spray model has a form factor shorter than a Mag 2D but a bit thicker. Easy to handle it packs a lot of punch and deserves the accolades it has received.

--Bob

Jerimoth

Newly Enlightened
Re: Best rechargable for enforcement stunning purp

It seems that I'm being persuaded to go with the Tigerlight for use as a ranger. It seems that some are on sale, I think a closeout on an older bulb, which would be ok if it is as bright as the new one.
I also started doing some research on CPF afer reading Cheesehead's comment, which led me to modded Tigerlights, which seem to have insanely bright stunning power for situations as I've described. But for this coming paycheck at least I'm heading towards the Tigerlight FBOP. Thanks for the input.