My dumb Tigerlight question

Judgedog

Newly Enlightened
This is my first rechargeable light. I will only use it sporadically. I will go several days without even taking it off of the the charger. . . Should I leave it on the charger all of the time or will this harm the battery pack?

kongfuchicken

Flashlight Enthusiast
I think it's not healthy overcharge a nimh battery packs. It is ok to leave it on for reasonable lengths of time.
I can't give you numbers but I'm sure battery experts will have the answer.

regularguy

Newly Enlightened
If you call Tigerlight, they recommend leaving it on the charger all the time as long as it's used once every couple of days. The only thing you have to really remember is:

1. Never let the sucker die out. As soon as it starts to dim (even the slightest bit), turn it off and charge it.
2. Never turn on the light while it's in the charger. (this according to TL)

If you don't use it for days, I would personally take it out of the charger after 24-48 hours. It's still insanely bright after being off the charger for a week. /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/cool.gif

BTW, it's not a dumb question. A dumb one would have been, "how do you turn on the light?". /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/wink.gif

SilverFox

Flashaholic
Hello Judgedog,

I store my TigerLights off of the charger.

NiMh batteries do not like to be overcharged (or deeply discharged). The charge rate of the TigerLight charger minimizes the overcharge, but you would probably do damage if you left the light on the charger without using it for an extended period of time. If you are using it almost every day, it is fine to store it on the charger.

I use mine a fair amount. After use, I charge overnight then pull them off of the charger. If I am not using them for a long time, I top them up every few of months. I believe you should recharge every 6 months at a bare minimum.

Tom

Psychomodo

Enlightened
[ QUOTE ]
regularguy said:
BTW, it's not a dumb question. A dumb one would have been, "how do you turn on the light?". /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/wink.gif

[/ QUOTE ]

Errrr... how DO you turn it on /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/confused.gif

(Just jokin' /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/grin.gif)

js

Flashlight Enthusiast
Colin,

I find that if I smack myself in the face just right, that my nose pushes in on the rubber thingy and turns the light on. Not sure if this is the best way or not, but I bought a plastic nose guard just for this purpose. I recommend it. Works great. /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/grin.gif

Judgedog

Newly Enlightened
Thanks for all of the responses. Jim, let me know when the TL85 is ready for sale. I will have my Paypal at the ready!!!

Psychomodo

Enlightened
[ QUOTE ]
js said:
Colin,

I find that if I smack myself in the face just right, that my nose pushes in on the rubber thingy and turns the light on. Not sure if this is the best way or not, but I bought a plastic nose guard just for this purpose. I recommend it. Works great. /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/grin.gif

[/ QUOTE ]

Jim /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/wink2.gif

You're right /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/wink.gif but I had to try it three times before it worked /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/crazy.gif(you gotta hit it at the right angle ya know /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/grin.gif)

Viper

Newly Enlightened
After 24 hours of charging, just push the light back about 1/2" in the charger until the light turns off.

That way it's still the cradle, but off the charger. I always know where it is.