Laid-off today, but got DSL. Good day, or bad?

shankus

Flashlight Enthusiast
Well, Friday is my last day. Got the notice today.
But, Mojave now has DSL. So, it kind of equals out. I've been on dial-up for as long as I've been on the Information Superhighway, and what a difference it is.

Now I can apply for jobs like 15 times faster than before...

kitelights

Flashlight Enthusiast
I wouldn't be able to participate in this forum if I was on dial up. I had forgotten that people still are. I tried DSL, but I'm so far from the station that the best they could do was about 200. I grabbed cable as soon as it was available.

Real sorry to hear about the job. Hope you've got savings or severence to tide you over. I hope that you find something quickly that you like even better. Or you could be stupid like me and try the self employment route.

Good luck.

Atomic6

Flashlight Enthusiast
Hey Shankus-Try Northrop Grumman. They need bodies out at Edwards for ABL.... Try their web site job search with the new connection...

Rich

RadarGreg

Enlightened
I'd say you broke even. DSL is great, and I hope you can find a good job so you can keep paying the DSL bill. Good luck!

drchow

Newly Enlightened
Can't be that bad my friend, You can collect unemployment and apply for new jobs....think of it this way....before taxes you'll get around $370 a week, 6 months of semi-paid vacation. You earned it indirectly...unless you have alot of bills..can't imagine you having alot of bills if you live in Mojave. It's cheaper there housing wise.

Now that Mojave has DSL...I am seriously considering moving there. Pacbell DSL for 1 year contract is $26.95 a month, half the price of the $50 a month. So you should be fine for it...it even comes with a dialup account.

Northrop Engineer here....go checkout Northrop's Palmdale/Lancaster or El Segundo facilities. They're hiring.

pedalinbob

Flashlight Enthusiast
you havent lost your sense of humor--that is an excellent start.

keep your eyes open, and you will find something good!

take care,
Bob

James S

Flashlight Enthusiast
THIS is what unemployment is for /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/smile.gif Go get your money and start looking for a job. If you can get by on what they give you then take your time and find something good. Better you're on it for a little longer this time, than several times over the next few years!

As long as there is no immediate time pressure, finding a job can be interesting. I interviewed at some really wacky places doing some really interesting things the last time I was looking for work.

DSL is pretty good. It's even evolved to the point now where if you have a problem there is someone you can call who has a better than 50/50 chance of being able to fix it for you. I have had good luck with both cable and dsl modems in different places. Seems like when you're choosing between the customer service of the phone company or the cable company you're damned if you do damned if you don't /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/wink.gif There might be local differences where one is better than the other, but overall I'd have to say that they both suck when you're having problems... But as long as it works you're in good shape!

I have DSL in this current house as the cable in this area has fallen a bit behind the times as far as services offered. You see, the development folks signed a multi-decade contract with a certain company while they were building the houses around here, and so they have no incentive to do anything but raise rates and cut channels. It's actually cheaper for me to have DSL and DirectTV than to have cable /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/frown.gif I can only take solace in my faith that on judgment day God will be there to dole out many many dope slaps...

BC0311

Flashlight Enthusiast
[ QUOTE ]
James S said:
THIS is what unemployment is for /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/smile.gif Go get your money and start looking for a job. If you can get by on what they give you then take your time and find something good. Better you're on it for a little longer this time, than several times over the next few years!

[/ QUOTE ]

Absolutely right! Welcome to broadband and best wishes on the job search.

Britt

shankus

Flashlight Enthusiast
Wow, thanks for all the responses, guys! I'll do each one.
Yes, I'm enjoying the speed of DSL. I have the slowest one offered (384 kb Dn / 128 kb Up) and it's fine, at least for now.