EverLED host question

tygger

Enlightened
Need some suggestions for EverLED host. But here are some requirements:
1. Metal Bodied 2D
2. pre-focused, Faceted/Stippled Reflector

I've looked at the Garrity Stainless 2D, fits all the requirements, but it looks like the insides might be all plastic. I want something that will sink the heat as I will be running the light for long periods at a time.

asdalton

Flashlight Enthusiast
Even among those flashlights with metal bodies, very few (if any) incandescent lights have a good thermal path from the bulb socket to the body. As a next-best solution, you could try using a flashlight that uses an aluminum ring to hold the bulb in place. That will partially dissipate transient heat loads and also help to radiate the heat toward the interior walls.

Remember that the EverLED has thermal protection, so the worst that will happen during any heat overload is that the light output will drop.

gwbaltzell

Enlightened
2D will not run the everLED at it's brightest level or at least not long at this level. I'm recommending 3 alkalines or 4 rechargeables. I think most of this question was covered recently. Search for everled in the last 6 to 8 weeks will give you a number of valuable threads.

3rd_shift

Flashlight Enthusiast
[ QUOTE ]
tygger said:
Need some suggestions for EverLED host. But here are some requirements:
1. Metal Bodied 2D
2. pre-focused, Faceted/Stippled Reflector

I've looked at the Garrity Stainless 2D, fits all the requirements, but it looks like the insides might be all plastic. I want something that will sink the heat as I will be running the light for long periods at a time.

[/ QUOTE ]
Some of the el cheapo flashlights with the metal contact collar around the bulb with a slider switch to contact that collar to turn it on can draw some heat away, If that's what you really want.
I have that in my metal bodied 29 year old Eveready Commander 2d flashlight.
Check the yard/estate sales for flashlights with some metal in them. /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/smile.gif
Your local newspaper can help you find some of those estate sales. /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/thumbsup.gif
Good luck.
btw; I did lose a red Everled to overheating. /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/mecry.gif
It was strobing on and off before settling to a dim red glow. /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/icon15.gif
So, some heatsinking is still justified just in case the thermal protect doesn't quite help out in time.