Need suggestion on AA Luxeon

Gman

Enlightened
Hi Guys,

I need a suggestion on what to buy. It must be a luxeon, be fairly bright, have a decent runtime and use AA batteries. 1 to 3 AAs are ok but I'd prefer only 2. I could be convinced to go with the 3 AA SL task light as long as I hear the size isn't an issue for round the house use and occasional carry. This would be a gift for someone in a CIS country, hence the need for AAs.

*Edit* Hmmm, it has occured to me 2 AAs wouldn't drive a Luxeon well now would they? Ah well, I'll back down. Give me bright with decent runtime and discrete LEDs. Any # batteries as long as they're AAs

Thanks....

IlluminatingBikr

Flashlight Enthusiast
Go with dat2zip's MM sandwichs. A MM or BB with a lux3 will be nice. Personally, I prefer a MM. Regular is a good balance of brightness and runtime, while the lite version is geared toward runtime.

14C

Enlightened
I bought a MM with a T bin LuxIII.

Got lithiums in the light but it works great with alkalines.

shiftd

Flashlight Enthusiast
hmm
i believe the new MMlite 1W HD is a better deal /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/tongue.gif
others who bought have been giving good reviews (or say)

14C

Enlightened
I have also heard good things about the TerraLUX MiniStar but I don't have one..check around for reviews.

eebowler

Flashlight Enthusiast
Why not look at the UK 4AA eLED flahslight. It is not the brightest, but, it is regulated and should give constant light output for about 10 hrs. Option 2. The MiniStar 2. This is semi regulated and should provide about 7hrs of an ok amount of light. See here http://www.terralux.biz/products/index.htm . Are headlamp type flashlights out?

MR Bulk

Flashaholic
Two weeks ago I sat down at my workshop with my nephew and together we built him a Super LGI (runs on 3AAs). He was deployed the very next Wednesday to Afghanistan for the next 12 months...God be with him.

paulr

Flashaholic
Gman, I second the suggestion of the UKE 4AA eLED. It's compact (2x2 battery setup, shorter than a 3AA), tough, waterproof, made of plastic and probably lighter than a 3aa metal light, not super bright but is regulated and should use comparatively little current from the AA's, which will be of big help with the crappy zinc-carbon AA's that may be all that's available where the light is going (unless you include some rechargeables which might not be a bad idea).

14C

Enlightened
The UK eLED is an excellent light for runtime but the MM T bin blows it away for brightness, whiteness and beamsize.

Of course you are not going to see the runtime with the MM in a MiniMag AA.

It all depends on the usage.

paulr

Flashaholic
I have some reservations about a minimag+sandwich for a non-flashaholic. They're great as entry level Luxeon lights for flashaholics, but they're somewhat finicky for regular folks. An Arc LSH-P with an Arc 2AA battery tail is a much better bet if you want to go the 2AA route. Note that all these 2AA lights are going to need quite a lot of battery current to get decent brightness. If 14C is suggesting a wide open Madmax, it's probably drawing close to 1 amp from the batteries, while the UKE is drawing less than 200 mA.

Remember the reason for the AA battery requirement in the first place: because that's the only kind of battery available where the light is going. Well there's another mtater to consider: the AA's that are available there are likely to be of really lousy quality compared to what we get here. They are likely to not be able to run that 2AA MM+ for more than a few minutes, but will get several hours with the eLED. I think for the application described, the size/weight of the eLED will be fine.

I don't even understand the requirement for a "bright" light, whatever that means. Personally if I were giving a light to someone in one of those countries (and I recently did so), I'd choose a CMG Infinity Ultra. It's plenty bright for around the house, camping, etc., as long as you're not trying to light anything at great distance.

PhotonBoy

Flashlight Enthusiast
Annapolis Valley, Nova Scotia, Canada http://tinyu
/ubbthreads/images/graemlins/sleepy.gif I've been waiting for this light, but it seems to be taking forever.

http://www.streamlight.com/jr_lux_all.htm

jr_lux_02.jpg

asdalton

Flashlight Enthusiast
[ QUOTE ]
paulr said:
I have some reservations about a minimag+sandwich for a non-flashaholic. They're great as entry level Luxeon lights for flashaholics, but they're somewhat finicky for regular folks.

[/ QUOTE ]

I agree. I love my Badboy-modified Minimag, but I frequently find myself tapping the head in order to re-center the optics or sandwich. And of course, the sandwich wants to fall out every time I change the batteries. If I could keep only one of my flashlights, it would be the Arc LSH-P with the 2AA battery pack.

PlayboyJoeShmoe

Flashaholic
Have Mikyspit spit you out a "Milkbone". A Luxeon 2AA light made on a Rayovac 2AA Industrial Light. Not KILLER bright, but great beam and good runtime.

Looks totally inoculous too....

Oni

Newly Enlightened
I have an ARC LS with the AA battery pack. Use it everyday at work. Works good. A friend has the 3AA Streamlight, and it's brighter but not as easy to carry as it's quite a bit longer.

Can't compare to any of the custom modded one's as I have not gotten the chance to see one yet.

BlindTiger

Newly Enlightened
Natchez has the Streamlight jr. lexeon and the XP series with the LED in their April-May mailing.
Streamlight Jr. stock no. F45SM71500, specs 3.8 ozs, 6.5 in, 30 lumens for $33.95.
The Strion looks nice too.
natchezss.com

IsaacHayes

Flashlight Enthusiast
The streamlight jr luxeon looks to be a good deal. 30bucks or so which is less than the cost of a BB sandwich and MM and kroll. You get it all in one. I believe it will use a reflector, not sure though. Only ~1 hour of runtime, so hopefully it will be super bright and be constant current. Defainlty use rechargables for this...

I'm just going to wait for lambda's new SMD ill pill as I already have a MM..