Jack Crow Drives a Track

Jack_Crow

Enlightened
Hi all,
Gordon has posted some new photos.

I was given the chance to drive an M113 around the parking lot.

This photo shows the only one taken during the 'drive'. Unfortunatly Eric who took it, waited until my arm was in the way of the face. Some would say this is an improvment.

Try

http://www.obscure-reference.com/hosted/RadioMike/DSCF0533.jpg

The LT Im taking direction from is my S6. He is the one I run past any questions about what is ok to post and what isen't. He is amazed and real pleased with the support from home. LT D. is a cool dude. Another Italian in Arab land.

In this one Im trying to get my borrowed helmet straight. Tracks may look big, but inside they are tight for a FAC. (Fat Assed Civilian)

The
http://www.obscure-reference.com/hosted/RadioMike/DSCF0534.jpg

http://www.obscure-reference.com/hosted/RadioMike/MIKE.jpg

What can I say, everyday is an adventure. The experience was amazing.

This track used a steering wheel and a fancy gear shift. Standard break and gas pedal. At no time did I get it above 4 mph. In this parking lot such things are not safe. Trucks, hummers, and these little things called Gators are alwyas moving around. Visibility is very limited, even driving with the seat up and my head above the vision blocks. The brakes were very responsive.

BTW did I tell you the temp, that day hit about 115? That metal box was painful to kneel on. /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/cool.gif

I have sent to Gordon some additional photos from a class on thermite grenades. We were issued some in the event the equipment has to be destroyed in place. (read that we get over run, not a likely thing)

So if those post, there is the text for them...........

Hi all,

Just a reminder that this is not an ordinary job.

We got issued some thermite devices to destroy the sensitive equipment should we be overrun by a hostile force. Since I'm the only one here w/o a military background a class was arranged to demonstrate the equipment. This photo was snapped in the Humvee as we went to a safe place, outside the gate. This was also my first trip in an up armor Humvee. Im hoping to be allowed to set off some smoke units the next time there is a need. Smoke units and these things have the same pin and spoon handle triggers.

Every good story should have a beginning, middle and an end. Here we meet the thermite grenade. Somehow the red color should be more vivid. This package is mild and polite, with no hint of the fury hidden within.

Group photo of Sgt. Casper, grenade, and guess who.

Sgt.Casper sets the thing off, drops it into a cement cup on top of a bit of armor plate, as you can see his feet in the photo, he is trying to get away ASAP! The shower of sparks was more impressive than this daylight photograph lets on. The Sergeant kept us away from the device and the smoke. Just a point of information, this is a guy that likes to blow up land mines. He lives for this kind of thing.

This is the best of four photos I took during the 'burn'. Right now the device is cutting a path through cement that made up the bottom of a cinder block. Most of these demonstrations take place on an engine block. We didn't hump one out to the weeds this trip. So we used this scrap of armor plate and this cinder block. Toward the end of the burn, we see molten metal oozing out from under the block. It's a mind blower for me to see that much molten metal in only a matter of a few seconds.

To do this properly you need a deep, resonant voice. Then say "Only you can prevent desert fires". Like there is a lot to burn out here. It's a dead landscape. Even a pyro and a jug of gasoline would have a bad time burning anything. So 'Smokey' the MP drowns what was left of the grenade. Three liters of water get poured on this and as you will see in the next few photos, it's still red hot.

This was about 5 min after the sparks and water treatment. See how the cement is still glowing bright red/orange. There was a good scorch mark on the armor plate. If we have to use one of these on mild steel that our racks are made out of, look out, it will burn its way through the equipment into the floor.

When this demo was arranged, we went out there with four vehicles. Guys pulled security for us during the class. We were about a click (kilometer) from the base, outside the gate.

So that's the news from the war zone. An exciting week. Looking forward to the next chance to mush around in an APC again. This time taking the long path around the motor pool, up and down some cuts in the ground.

Have fun
Jack Crow in Iraq

Unicorn

Flashlight Enthusiast
Cool, 113's are one of the funnest things in the Army to drive. They aren't too fast onroad, but will leave a Humvee in the dust in rough terrain because the Humvee will be bouncing all over the road. They are slower and rougher than Bradleys, or M1's but because they are so light they don't get stuck very often. Unfortunately, they are as you've noticed, small on the inside. For everyone. I have no idea how the Army expected to put 11 people in the back, plus the driver. Six with our rucks strapped to the outside is pushing it. And of course the armor isn't as good as the newer vehicles, but still not bad considering.
I wish we had a few of ours here instead of just the uparmored Humvees. Better off road capability, especially since we have the first models of armored Humvees and we've gone through a few tires already. Pivot steering in a tight alley or cul de sac is also nice.
I couldn't tell from the pics, but I'm assuming it's the A3 model. Does it have the two sticks or lats, or does it use a steering wheel, and does it have the fuel tanks on the outside? The A3 has the external fuel tanks, and the wheel. Remember that if you go in reverse, that you need to turn the wheel the opposite direction you want to turn, it's backwards from a normal car. Basically you turn the wheel in the direction you want the front end to face.

And don't pivot steer when moving, I say again, do not pivot steer when in motion. You drastically increase the odds of throwing a track. That is never fun to deal with.

Stefan

Enlightened
Is it possible to steer at all while at speed on these things? From what I'm reading you have to come to a full stop to turn anywhere, or else risk serious damage to the tank.

14C

Enlightened
Yep..you can steer while in motion. And I'm not gonna tell you where I learned this..... /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/nana.gif

BC0311

Flashlight Enthusiast
Hah! /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/yellowlaugh.gif Great photos, Jack. Glad you're having fun with the stuff. Keep an eye on your six. /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/thumbsup.gif

Avix

Newly Enlightened
welcome to Zipper Head Frat Jack! yah, sounds like the A3, (said it had a wheel), from everything I've been hearing, if I was over there I would much rather want one of those than a HUM-V. (just remember the trick with the trim vain BEFORE you drive it into a river for some fishing ok? I never got the chance to do that, hope someone does)

Unicorn

Flashlight Enthusiast
You can steer with no problem while moving with no danger or risk of damage. Well not any more chance than normal. A sharp turn at high speed increases the risk, but not dramatically.
What I was talking about was pivot steering. That is when the treads move in opposite directions so that you make a 90 degree turn, or pivot in place. Normal steering just slows one track down.
I missed when he said steering wheel. I should pay more attention to what I'm reading.

Aten_Imago

Banned
Jack_Crow
Very cool pictures and stories. I'm jealous for sure. You have given me a an idea though.I wonder if an battlefield amusment park exists that has scaled down tanks etc instead of those silly bumper cars-Would that be profitable during or after war. Stay safe and keep those amazing pix and stories coming- Mabrook Habibi ! /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/thumbsup.gif

ksbman

Flashaholic*
Another thing to put in your amusement park is construction equipment.

I was a mechanic for a site development company for a couple of years. Playing with loaders, dozers, excavators, scrapers, end-dumps, and such was pretty cool.

A couple of the operators, if they knew I was servicing their machine the next morning, would park them in some strange and difficult to retrieve (for me) places.

I even took my Dad and Brother-in-law out one Fathers Day to move some dirt. They had a blast.

BC0311

Flashlight Enthusiast
Man oh man! /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/party.gif Would that be great, or what?

We're talking vacation destination here! /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/grin.gif

Britt

Jack_Crow

Enlightened
Guys,
Now that's clever. Amusement park events we would like to see. That might be the start of a new thread.

Small bits of heavy equipment and armor might be interesting.

When it comes to games, I tend to be a sick puppy.

For example I played 'missle command' to loose because I liked to watch the cities burn. On some driving games I would make a left off the top of the loop, just to see what it would do. One of my all time favorites was "Crusing USA" where you get to take a road trip across country and along the way run over things.

Just remember the lesson of West World and various 'pleasure planets'. Things can and do go wrong.

Just a thought.
Later dudes
Jack Crow in Iraq

KC2IXE

Flashaholic*
There used to be a water/amusement park called Vernon Valley/Great Gorge in NJ - when they first opened, they had a "ride" that sounded cool - they basically made "tanks" out of 6 wheel skid steer vehicles with plexiglass domes and an air conon that shot golf balls. The folks outside on line also had air cannons to shoot at you. If you got hit, you spun around in place. I understand it was removed because a few people got HURT. I never got to go.....

Aten_Imago

Banned
More I think of it- the more I like the idea of a Battlefield Amusement Park. The adults can battle away in the park while thier kids can 'Plan' on video consoles in the 'War Rooms' away from all the action. I'll try to get Discovery Com. interested. Maybe now we can get rid of some of those 'traditional' amusement parks and have some real fun. I amost went to a place down South- that was a big shooter's free for all. 3-D targets everywhere and there were 'target vehicles' scattered around that you could shoot at and use flame throwers on- anyone remember the name ? They make a ton of money on that. Just a thought

Unicorn

Flashlight Enthusiast
[ QUOTE ]
Avix said:
welcome to Zipper Head Frat Jack! yah, sounds like the A3, (said it had a wheel), from everything I've been hearing, if I was over there I would much rather want one of those than a HUM-V. (just remember the trick with the trim vain BEFORE you drive it into a river for some fishing ok? I never got the chance to do that, hope someone does)

[/ QUOTE ]

I think that swimming them was stopped due to somthing about too many sinking. Too many drivers let their hatch seal deteriorate, or new ones were never installed so too much water leaked in. At least that's what I'd heard from a buddy who was in the 1st AD when he was still active. I nevre started messing around with them until I ended up in the Washington Guard. Always light infantry before (light in the MD guard, and sort of light [Air Assault, organised a little differently) the 101st].

Maybe the UAHMMWV would be better on roads if doing convoy security since the speed is higher, but off road, the 113 would be the way to go. The Stykers are nice, but I don't like armored vehicles with tires.

Jack, you should see if someone will let you drive an Abrams, especially off road at a decent speed. Those look cool when they are hauling butt smoothly on terrain that makes the 113 bounce around. I've heard that they are blast to drive.

HarryN

Flashlight Enthusiast
I am always curious Jack, I never see a photo anywhere that crops could grow. Maybe it is my midwest up bringing, but where the heck is the corn ? Surely there is somewhere in Iraq where food grows ? or is it just right next to the rivers ?

Jack_Crow

Enlightened
H,
I just don't know what passes for a farm belt here.

Mostly what I saw on the way here were people from the road, just geting by on whatever they could beg for.

Then again, in a country that exports oil, who needs to grow food. I gather that was one of the control tools. Remember during the war reports that people were issued three months supplys in advance.

This was where humanity got it's start. It's also been the host to a lot of wars, and water engineering to flood the Iranians out or water starve them. Not the most kind of treatments.

Keep it warm
Jack Crow in Iraq

Unicorn

Flashlight Enthusiast
A lot of the most fertile ground was flooded by Hussein in the 70's IIRC. Mostly it is along the rivers as it has been for thousands of years. Some areas do have irrigation though.