Blue forensic lights - what's that/function?

K-T

*Moderator*
Blue forensic lights - what\'s that/function?

Now after watching CSI I was wondering what kind of blue light that is these agents use to make certain fluids visible. Why would they also need these red googles?

How come that human traces are visible when that blue light is used?

Klaus.

Chris M.

Flashlight Enthusiast
Re: Blue forensic lights - what\'s that/function?

Blue light causes fluorescence in those certain natural fluids that forensic scientists would be interested in finding. I think the colour used is between 430 and 450nM or so - blue, bordering on near-UV. But since the bright blue light can drown out the often slight fluorescence so the orange goggles are used to block out any light being reflected back directly from the light, vastly improving contrast.

Arc sells a version of the Arc4 with a deep "Dental" blue LED, bundled with a pair of those groovy orange goggles. I think I must be one of the only folks to buy one so far as I havn`t heard anything here from anyone else who`s got one. I`m not a forensic scientist, I`m a collector, but it`s fun to play with too. Makes dayglow-bodied flashlights and Traser glowrings shine like flares.

Hint - don`t look at the floor around the toliet with it /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/ooo.gif

K-T

*Moderator*

I was going to ask about the ARC next as I somewhere remembered they had brought out that line - I would love to have one of these. /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/grin.gif

Is that dental blue more like royalblue or basic blue ?

Are the googles just orange or some special secret material created for a special wavelenght?

Klaus.

Chris M.

Flashlight Enthusiast

The forensic Arc4`s LED is a very deep blue. I guess that`s on the royal blue end, if not a bit further. Definately deeper than the LED used in a blue First Run LS I have - I would guess that would have been a standard blue. As for the goggles, I couldn`t say. Just for the effect, any suitably orange transparent material would probably work. The ones supplied with the Arc were specially made and apparently block IR light as well as blue/UV, plus come with a protective carrying case/sleeve.

/ubbthreads/images/graemlins/grin.gif

Chop

Flashlight Enthusiast

I had a guy up in, I think it was Alaska, build him a light with a Royal Blue (IIRC) luxeon. He said that it made tracking wounded game easier at night because blood glows under a blue light. Well, "glows" might not be the right word, but the bottom line was that you could see blood with the blue light.

He had me build it because he wanted something brighter than what he had. I have to say that, although the lumen ratings of blue luxeons is low, this thing was down right bright. Pretty cool too.

K-T

*Moderator*

/ubbthreads/images/graemlins/thumbsup.gif Thanks, guys - the forensic ARC might be my firsts one. /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/grin.gif

The_LED_Museum

*Retired*

Somewhere around here, I have an Arc LS that was outfitted with a 3W royal blue LS (peak wavelength 444mn I believe), driven at 667mA if I remember correctly. Fluorescent and day-glow materials just go banannas when exposed to royal blue light. I don't have orange glasses though, so shining it around the toliet is likely to be not very dramatic. /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/icon15.gif :horse_kicks_poo-poo: /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/icon15.gif

bald1

Enlightened

Ultraviolet light is broken down into three categories: UV-A, UV-B, and UV-C. UV-A is more commonly known as "blacklight" and has wavelengths between 360 and 400 nM. The Inova X5T-UV produces 395 nM +/- 5 and a Spectroline BIB-150P AC power job cranks out photons at 365 nM. Both are effective for all the things folks here think of for UV torches /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/smile.gif

--Bob

kitelights

Flashlight Enthusiast

Bob - more info on the Spectroline BIB-150P AC, please. I use 365nm in my work to cure resins.

Thanks - Ken

bald1

Enlightened

Ken,

Here's the Spectroline web site web page which has a lot of information on their product line. If memory serves the BIB-150P runs around $450.

bib150p.jpg

--Bob

Jack_Crow

Enlightened

Hi guys,
Ive used that Spectroline unit in the refigeration repair line of work. I used to fix environmental chambers and some leaks were real subtle. When R 13 at the time was 2k bucks for 80lbs we had to find that leak. They market a series of oil tracer dyes that light up when exposed to that thing.

It also get's real hot.

Ive got some UV lights on order for delivery here. According to guys on this board, some of the local bugs show up under UV. Like scorpions. Also fake US money can be checked with a UV Lamp.

Hope all is well.
Jack Crow in Iraq

bald1

Enlightened

[ QUOTE ]
It also get's real hot.

[/ QUOTE ]

That's for sure /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/smile.gif Gotta let it cool down too. Frankly my personnel have to make an effort to use it although unquestionably it is an excellent tool.

--Bob

drchow

Newly Enlightened

I'm curious as to if the INOVA with the BLUE leds would work. I'm wondering if those BLUE leds are just blue or are there other applications it's design for?

Anyone know?

groutboy_1

Enlightened

Hi folks,
I had a 2nd generation inova x5t with colbalt blue leds. according to the original packaging, on the back it says,'mission critical: colbalt blue-fluorencent dye leak detection tool...'when I had this x5t blue, I used it with my brother while we installed a water pump & thermstat on his wife car. We were able to detect a bad gasket seal near the pump housing. since , the antifreeze fluoreced a vivid bright green when exposed to this light. it definitatily came in handy for this type of car maint. a year later, I gave the x5t- blue to my father, who works in public safety. He , and p/o buddys have fun playing with it. he uses it mainly to illuminate licence plates. (fluorecent paint on reg. tags., etc.)

drchow

Newly Enlightened

Okay followup...I've seen INOVA offer Green, Red, Blue. Are those just regular LEDs or each specific color was engineered with specific purposes??

Help?

geek

Newly Enlightened

Does anyone here use the Arc Forensic for actual forensic work? I do crimescene and evidence photography and am wondering if it would be a worthwhile purchase.

drchow

Newly Enlightened

Okay I answered my own question regarding INOVA, each light Blue, Green, Red, is designed for a specific purpose

Haven't tried ARC yet.

The_LED_Museum

*Retired*

The LEDs in my blue LED Inova emit at around 472nm, while I believe the LED in the Arc forensic model emits around 460nm.

IsaacHayes

Flashlight Enthusiast

I know people have talked about the RB being a lower wavelenght than the dental blue, which is also inflated in price. I'd have to check the data sheets again...

PhotonWrangler

Flashaholic

[ QUOTE ]
kitelights said:
Bob - more info on the Spectroline BIB-150P AC, please. I use 365nm in my work to cure resins.

Thanks - Ken

[/ QUOTE ]

A similar lamp from UVP Inc.