Introduction and Arc4 Second warranty???

Status
Not open for further replies.

Lukejt

Newly Enlightened
First, hello everyone. Long time lurker, new member. Been using a Surefire E2 since they first came out for EDC. I'm tired of spending $$ on 2+ bulbs and countless batteries per year. I've also got a Surefire 8NX (that I hate), a few G2's and one G2Z. I've been giving G2s as gifts for a while as well.

I've purchased a few different lower end LED lights, and a few that cost a bit of money, and all have sucked big time. One cost me $60 and fell apart right away. So, after a couple years not buying LED lights, I decided to take the plunge and order an Arc4 second.

Just received my first Arc flashlight, an Arc4+ Second (mostly Rev.2 but with a Rev.1 middle or battery section). It works great. When I purchased the light, I understood that what I get is what I get and I've got 15 days to review the light. What I'm wondering is, does this thing have a warranty? I've had a couple other LED lights fail (not Arc) and I'm concerned about the long term toughness of this light because of the advanced electronics involved.

Hopefully I'll never need to use any warranty, but I would hope the seconds are covered. Even at a discount, this is still an expensive light.

BTW, after playing with my light, I think it's a second because it does not reach the brightest level. Level 1 and 2 look almost identical. Fine with me, it seems plenty bright. Really like using the lower settings, and found level 16 fine for moving around at night. Really cool light, and I hope I never loose it /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/wink.gif.

Cya,

Lukejt

srue

Newly Enlightened
Lukejt,
Welcome to CPF and congrats on leaving lurking behind.

Other than the 15 days you mentioned, there is no warantee on the factory seconds. I believe one of the big reasons the price is so much lower on the seconds is that you are not paying for a warantee. The fact that there may be other flaws with the light (brightness, runtime, cosmetic) probably only accounts for a relatively small portion of the price drop. That being said, if you can't find a problem (that would cause you to return the light) in the first few days, much less 15 days, you will probably never need to send the light back. Arcs are built extremely well, even seconds.

I think the light will give you a lifetime of satisfaction.

-Stuart

PeLu

Flashlight Enthusiast
[ QUOTE ]
Lukejt said:I'm concerned about the long term toughness of this light because of the advanced electronics involved.

[/ QUOTE ]

As repeated like a prayer wheel in this forum: The advanced electronics increase relyability. And future software upgrades make it possible to fix issues which are unknown now (maybe with batteries which are not available now).

[ QUOTE ]
BTW, after playing with my light, I think it's a second because it does not reach the brightest level. Level 1 and 2 look almost identical.

[/ QUOTE ]

Even with a second, the difference in between two levels is the constant 1.5 dB. When you don't have any difference in between the two top levels, your CR123 cell may be weak. Try another cell and check contacts.
Besides that, 1.5dB is not much.

Crash

Enlightened
half New Orleans, half Baton Rouge, Louisiana
Welcome Lukejt. It sounds like you are already an addict like most of the rest of us here.

I am a very big Arc fan because of the committment to inovation and customer service. That said, like most other members on this forum, I do own other non-Arc flashlights.

I got tired of incandescent bulbs burning out at the worst possible times. The bulbs were the weakest link until the powerful leds came out. Buy a KL1 head for your E2e. What you sacrifice in light output, you more than make up for in reliability and you'll find that the KL1 puts out a suprising amount of light.

Lukejt

Newly Enlightened
Thanks for the welcome.

I actually expected the Arc second to be covered when I ordered it. Bummer. Hopefully, if the electonics do ever need service, Peter will be able to help out in some way.

Ditto on the bulb failures. I used to use a Minimag all the time, before the E2 came out. Talk about an upgrade. Anyway, at least the Minimag had a place for a spare bulb. It really needed it. I can remember being in an attic or basement with NO LIGHT at all changing the minimag bulbs a lot. IMO the Surefire bulbs last much longer though. I'm just tired of spending $17 per bulb twice a year! Seems a bit high when G2s can be found for $25 NIB w/batteries. Add the cost for a few dozen batteries, and I figure the Arc4 will pay for itself. As long as they are more reliable and brighter than the first LEDs, I figured I give them a second chance. No more bulbs to change /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/buttrock.gif !

I was looking at some of the KL1 heads on Ebay just the other day. I'll have to check them out. I carry my E2 with a Benchmade knife in a nice Ripoffs pouch. I've got G2's in my vehicles for the wife or when I forget my E2. The G2Z stays close to the bed. Yeah, I'm a flashlight dork. /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/tongue.gif

Lukejt

Status
Not open for further replies.