L7

ksbman

Flashaholic*
I just received my L7 and it doesn't look like a keeper for me.

I was hoping it would have the bigger reflector of the L6, but it's just a rechargeable L5. The L7 and the L5 use the same reflector.

Not that that's bad, but I already have an L5 on my belt and it's not quite bright enough for an aircraft inspection, IMHO.

If I had wanted a rechargeable L5, I would have just used Pilas. That combo would have less runtime but would also be 2" shorter.

I don't like the switch, either. It's just the rubber and a piece of felt between your finger and the battery. And it's not a clickie (I knew that); you have to turn the head to turn it on and off.

The MagCharger still rules for my main work light.

Xrunner

Flashlight Enthusiast
Thanks for the info... do you happen to have an 8X/AX to compare the switch too. Also, what all comes with the L7 package? Thanks

-Mike

ksbman

Flashaholic*
I've never handled another Surefire rechargeable so I can't compare the switch.

It came with the rapid charger (2 hours), 120v transformer, 12v adaptor, and two batteries.

FlashlightOCD

Enlightened
I just received mine today too. Same place, same price. I think ksbman's comparison to the L5 is pretty fair for the beam. In a side by side comparison my L5 looks slightly yellow and the L7 has a slight blueish tint [Luxeon Lottery Factor I'm sure].

The switch is identical to the 8AX. The body with head is almost an inch longer in length than the 8AX.

I really like mine except for the lack of a clicky switch, I just hope the batteries that came with it hold a charge better than the ones that came with my 8AX.

ksbman

Flashaholic*
And I'd like to know if you can put the KL6 on the L7.

The KL5 won't go on the L7, the threads are different. The L7 has coarse threads.

Also, in order for the o-ring to be effective with the light off, the head is just a slight turn away from being on.

My Luxeon lottery has the L5 with the blueish tint and the L7 with the yellowish tint.

FlashlightOCD

Enlightened
[ QUOTE ]
Xrunner said:
Can you swap out the L7 head with a standard 8AX Bezel assembly?

-Mike

[/ QUOTE ]

From what I can tell the bodies of the L7 and 8AX are identical [like the L4 body and E2e body, just different markings]. So yes the heads of the 8AX and L7 are interchangeable.

madecov

Flashlight Enthusiast
So in effect it is just an 8AX with a luxion head. It still uses the B90 batteries. Will the head fit an 8NX ?

Bestwood

Newly Enlightened
Hello everyone.
I just got my L7 yestoday.
I am quite disappointed at L7.
The maximum output of L7 is 75 lumens on surefire webside.
In fact L7 is not brighter than L5.
Does anyone have an idea about it? Why?
I guess that B90 is around 4.2 voltage, two cr123a provide 6 votage.
What is acceptable voltage range of L7?
I want to raise the voltage, but I am afraid that KL7 will be broken down.
That's $205.
My transformer was broken down, because I am in UK and there is 240 voltage.
Will surefire make a new battery only for L7?