Reflectored VIP

Chop

Flashlight Enthusiast
Hey guys,

Just wanted to share a couple of beam shots with you. First let me say that I hope that Britt doesn't fly down here and kick my butt for messing with his baby, but I couldn't help myself.

Since the S017XA reflectors came out, I've been trying them in everything that accomodates an optic. Well, when Britt's VIP got here, I took a look at it and saw that it had an optic in it, so, guess what I did?

With a little modification, the reflector dropped right in and is perfectly at home in the VIP.

The beamshots were taken in my down stairs bathroom. I was laying on the floor. Please excuse the water stains. My A/C was leaking. /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/grin.gif

This first is of the VIP with Fraen LP...
picture.JPG

The second is with the reflector...
picture.JPG

I really like this reflector. I hope the pics show the lack of sidespill with the fraen and the lovely sidespill with the reflector. The light you see in the pic of the fraen isn't sidespill. It's light bouncing off of the ceiling. The hotspot with the reflector was smaller and about as intense. This might translate into more throw, but I can't tell because I only have one VIP and it's daylight right now.

Thanks for looking.

***EDIT***

OK guys, let me be very clear about how this reflector works, in the VIP. The S???? (I don't remember the model)reflector is the same height as the NX05 and Fraen LP optic. It has a slimmer diameter though.

The way I mod it is just like the pics below. I just turn away the material that gets in the way. Since the diameter is slimmer than the stock Fraen, there is some room around the reflector with in the head. The way I put it in was to lay the head down on its face, then drop the reflector into the head and center it by eye balling it. I then screwed the body of the light down over the reflector. Once the dome of the luxeon engages the hole in the reflector, it pretty much centers itself. The reflector is held in place between the luxeon and the lense, pretty much the way the optic is.

I COULD include an o-ring with the reflector. What this would do is to hold the reflector in the head, centered. It would also provide a method of preventing the reflector from falling out, when the head is removed from the body.

If you guys want an o-ring, I could run to Home depot and get some of an appropriate size. I'll charge and extra 50 cents and add that to the $11 for the reflector. I suppose that 50 cents is appropriate. I pay like 40 cents each for them plus tax. I just don't want to deal with cents if I don't have to.

I've also been rethinking the price. I can do it, shipped via 1st class mail, for $11 if I can get 100 orders. If I don't hit 100 orders, the price will have to be $12.

For those of you on other continents, I'll ship to you as well, but I'll hit you up for any extra shipping.

Now here's my problem. With Uncle Sam having taken his bite out of my butt, having four kids, and having restocked on luxeons and such, I'm short on money. So...this is what I propose.

I will start a new thread in the modders B/S/T forum to take orders. The thread will also contain payment information. Those who want one or however many, can post with an order and PayPal the $11 or $11.50, if you want the o-ring. If, after all is said and done, the total number of orders doesn't get to 100, then I'll just post that the number didn't reach 100 and I'll ask that those who ordered reflectors, please PP an extra dollar. This will have to be on an honor system.

Sorry for all of this, but I've never done anything like this before and I suppose that you guys will suffer through it with me.

How does this sound?

If all is good, I'll start the thread either tonight or tomorrow.

Chop

Flashlight Enthusiast
I just had to add something about the light.

This thing is a flashaholic and gadget lover's dream. It's very well built and is well thought out. It also appears to invite modding in terms of different heads.

I also have to say, IT'S BRIGHT. I really hope that those circuits become available sometime in the near future. The lux was no slouch either. Very good color.

LitFuse

Flashlight Enthusiast
Thanks for taking the time to share Tony. /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/thumbsup.gif I was thinking about this very subject today, in anticipation of the VIP showing up in a couple weeks. I'm off to EL to order some of those reflectors right now.

BTW, what type of modification did you need to do to make this work.

Peter

Chop

Flashlight Enthusiast
Litfuse,

If you've never seen one of these reflectors, it's hard to explain. I believe that kj did something similar to get the reflector to fit into a KL1 with a star. Check out his web page under KL1's.

Besides, you'll see it when you get the VIP and reflector. It's pretty self explanatory and can be done with a file. You just need to cut some relief to accommodate the ground screw.

14C

Enlightened
Looks nice. I just received a couple of those reflectors from WayneJ. Now I got to play............ /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/thinking.gif

MR Bulk

Flashaholic
HAY! Dang, there goes my great dreams of offering a BH, when a simple drop-in reflector will do. In the beginning {"In The Beginning, There Was Light...") I was looking around for a nice drop-in reflector so's we could have two types of beams available while retaining the stock head.

Two quetions - how's it compare to another by now well-known standard for small Luxeon reflectors?

And will you be making these for VIP owners? (I want one!) /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/grin.gif

Aten_Imago

Banned
A sure sign of wide user acceptance- a winning product for the long haul (trucking term right ?) is user adaptability and modifiability. Looks like the VIP just hit a home run for me ...again. /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/blush.gif /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/thumbsup.gif

Chop

Flashlight Enthusiast
As far as the beam goes, it's about identical to that of a modded KL4. It doenst' have the throw of a PR, but I think it's more useful for close to medium range work because the hotspot is bigger than that of the PR AND it still has good side spill.

Of course, I'd be glad to do it for those that didn't want to do it themselves. For a modest fee, of course. Gotta feed the flashaholism.

Psychomodo

Enlightened
Chop /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/wink2.gif

Please put me down for one of them thar reflectors /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/thumbsup.gif

Thanks /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/wink.gif

BC0311

Flashlight Enthusiast
Hey Chopster, this is great! I'm in line for 2 of 'em.

Thanks for posting this! /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/thumbsup.gif

Britt

tvodrd

*Flashaholic* ,
/ubbthreads/images/graemlins/grin.gif Tony, looks as though you have a small roof leak that needs attention. /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/grin.gif (Good post, though!)

Larry

BC0311

Flashlight Enthusiast
I think every airconditioning vent in Louisiana looks like that.

A friend's girlfriend asked him to kiss her where it's hot and wet...

so he drove her to Louisiana. /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/yellowlaugh.gif

14C

Enlightened
Yes, it's the S017XA-Reflector from ElektroLumens. I just tried it in a McLux. Nice. Posted in the EL Forum.

Chop

Flashlight Enthusiast
My idiot teenager (aren't they all?) went rooting around in the attic and knocked the drain line loose. I was gonna paint the ceiling anyway. LOL

That is one of Wayne J's reflectors. I haven't tried a mini mag reflector because it'll take a little work and I'm not gonna have this VIP for long.

Like I said, the VIP is very front end mod friendly. A MM reflector would really increase the throw. The little reflector that I tried was a really clean mod though. All that needed to be done was to cut a little relief for the ground screw and it dropped right on.

I turned the reflector in a lathe, but I could have done it with a file or even toe nail clippers.

BC0311

Flashlight Enthusiast
Tony, hold onto the VIP as long as you want. I'm sure lots of fellahs would be interested to hear and see how the MM reflector turns out.

Of course, just toss it and the other reflector in tha package when you do ship it. I'll field test it for ya. /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/yellowlaugh.gif

Britt

Justintoxicated

Flashlight Enthusiast
I have a MM reflector to try, so if your not up to it I will try it as soon as I get mine, It might need to be trimmed around the top is my only guess...I have a few already trimmed for a MM so I'm thinking it should be a close fit.

I'm anxious to get mine so I can begin playing.