Question for Arc AA owners

Status
Not open for further replies.

Beam_On

Newly Enlightened
I recently bought one from B/S/T, it was sold as a standad not a second. The LED comes out crooked through the hole in the reflector, so there is a gap around the LED. I wondering if it can be straightened or would I break it trying to do that.

I would like to put it in a sink of water to test the waterproofness of it but I am concerned that it would short out.

What do you think?
Thanks.

nekomane

Flashlight Enthusiast
I've picked this up somewhere
[ QUOTE ]
more often than not its due to the die of the LED itself being off-centre in its packaging. the arc AAA/AA has the same problem too, and its because of the nichia LEDs

[/ QUOTE ]

Gransee

Flashlight Enthusiast
It should be quite waterproof if we made it. The AAA/AA heads are filled inside with a hard resin that keeps water and dust out of the electronics.

Peter

tvodrd

*Flashaholic* ,
Add- you'll likely break it if you try to straighten it for the above reason. (Hi Peter, best wishes!)

Larry

Beam_On

Newly Enlightened
I left it turned on in a cup of water for over an hour with no problem, so it is definitely sealed well. Now I am just waiting for the AAA's to be available.

nekomane

Flashlight Enthusiast
I got an AA recently too. Beam_On, does your's have the new simpler engraving with just [ARC], or the old type with more letters? Anyone know when this happened or why?
Don't mean to hijack this thread but seemed a good place to ask /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/smile.gif

The_LED_Museum

*Retired*
Mine has an only very, very, very slightly cockeyed LED. It's only noticeable when you turn the flashlight on, place it on a level surface, and roll it. There is a very, very, very small (100-200 microns) gap between one side of the LED and its opening.
In my opinion, these are extremely minor issues, and do not affect the functioning of the flashlight in any fashion.
This does not affect the 5-star rating I gave it on my website.

vj

Newly Enlightened
Two months ago, my ARC AA standard came to me straight from Arc, with the LED misaligned just like yours. For a few days I had the same questions that you have. Mine was also missing some anodize, so I asked for, and was offered, warranty replacement. I find it a little disheartening that an LED misalignment(and consequently non-centered beam) like this would slip pass the quality control. Good luck to you, and rest assured that the misalignment might not necessarily have been caused by the previous owner.

mridude

Newly Enlightened
Yup, I recieved two Arc AA's last week and the only thing etched on either one is: "Arc"
I guess it is a time saver. I am surprised there are no serial #'s on it either.
And I am still trying to find a propper fitting pocket clip for these as I think they would work great clipped to a hat visor for hands free use.

Beam_On

Newly Enlightened
[ QUOTE ]
nekomane said:
I got an AA recently too. Beam_On, does your's have the new simpler engraving with just [ARC], or the old type with more letters? Anyone know when this happened or why?
Don't mean to hijack this thread but seemed a good place to ask /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/smile.gif

[/ QUOTE ]

Mine has just ARC written around the barrel as well, I believe it indicates that it is the latest version v3.3. The LED does have a pronounced lean to it, I was told it was a standard by someone bought a bunch and sold off what he didn't need. I realized at the time he would cherry pick the best ones, but shipping was much cheaper from him and I figured the one I got may not be as bright or white as the best ones he kept, which I could live with. The crooked LED bothers me to the point that I don't brag about this cool single AA Arc flashlight by showing it to anyone. I don't need to be asked what I paid for it and to be told "well you know the LED is bent don't you?"

nekomane

Flashlight Enthusiast
Thanks Beam_On, I like the simple marking.
As for the off-centre LED..
I ordered several AAs, one for myself, another for a soon to be flashaholic friend, and 2 as gifts (I would not pay for the overseas shipping for just 1 light). All of them, if observed very closely have a crooked LED but not enough to spoil the beam pattern. It does'nt bother me, and am sure that most 'normal' people will not even notice either.

BTW, there are still a few AA firsts on the Arc website /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/smile.gif

Status
Not open for further replies.