Mag D bulb assembly removal?! Please help!

davep

Newly Enlightened
This is the perfect housing for my light.

However, the only way I can see to get out the bulb module (all of that useless hardware)- is brute force. But maybe someone has a trick or two. I wish I had more patience but I tried and the next step is ripping it out somehow- and then I might wreck something... Any help would be very appreciated. I would like to use the space for circuitry. Thanks a lot,
David

tvodrd

*Flashaholic* ,
Dave,

Do some searches in custom and modified (Which is where this post belongs /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/grin.gif ) And welcome to the board!

Larry

Rothrandir

Flashaholic
you need an allen wrench to loosen up the switch, to which the bulb stalk is attached.

remove the rubber boot of the switch, and in the hole, stick a small allen wrench (sorry, not sure what size), use that to loosen the screw which holds the assembly in.
after it's loose, it should slide out the bottom /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/smile.gif

on, and mooooving /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/wink.gif

balrog

Enlightened
I think it's a 2mm or 5/64". The first one of these I had to grip the allen key with pliers to get enough leverage to undo the screw.

Have a look at the Hotlips heatsinks - perfect for modding a Mag C or D.

darkzero

Flashaholic* ,
balrog, your correct. I always use 2mm but I heard 5/64" will also fit. Another thing that helps sometimes is after loosening the set screw with the wrench still in place wiggle the wrench side to side to "break" the switch assy free. They get stuck sometimes.

davep

Newly Enlightened
Thank you very much everyone for your intelligent advice.

Next time -I think this is a good donor light so there will be a next time- I will definitely use this wise knowledge.
Too bad I didn't use my brain on this one -would have been easier and probably preserved the bulb assembly which I have now mangled. I posted this in another place and had no replies till recently...

Unfortunately, I didn't think the rubber boot could get me anywhere...

Before these replys, I used the brute force method with a hammer smashing the assembly out the tail end and it worked! So I'm quite happy, there is even a little metal notch where the assembly was which will be very useful to hang/sit battery packs/electronics/heatsinks on. And only the assembly is damaged.

Hotlips- very nice but I'm doing a 3 lux III job... I think this head is good to absorb some heat and transfer it well to the main case. I will use a copper heatsink somehow with just emmitters. This head fits perfectly a fraen tri lens too. I will use 4 18650 li-ions to get over 12 volts, so I will squish the case into a bit of an ellipse if needed to do this.

Its not perfect but I want to get something working- and then move on from there