NEEDED: Free ISO Ripper.

jtice

Flashaholic
I need a free ISO ripper, that will allow me to rip an ISO of my data cds, and program CDs to my hard drive.

I know that NERO (which I have) will burn ISOs, and copy CDs, But, I am needing to copy them to my hard drive, not another CD.

Thanks.

-John

_mike_

Flashlight Enthusiast
You may want to poke around ..... here. They seem to have quite a selection of cd related "stuff".

Or maybe Isobuster I haven't used it in quite some time but might be worth a look.

Mike

jtice

Flashaholic
when I open isobuster, is shows the cd with 2 trees.
One is red and says iso, the other is a blue box, with >>> in it.
I see that I can right click either, and say "extract to. blah blah" which should I choose? The iso?

All I am wanting to do, is copy an image, or ISO ofa a complete cd to a hard drive folder.So I can later burn that iso or image to a cd.

nullandvoid

Newly Enlightened
Nero can convert a cd to an image that you can store on your hard drive, can't remember if it's ISO specifically might be nero specific. I don't have nero on my work laptop so I can't look at it right now.

_mike_

Flashlight Enthusiast
My guess would be the one that says iso, and extract the contents of that to the folder of your choice. Heck try both, you won't be hurting anything. /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/smile.gif

Ok, I went to their homepage and looked at their screen shots. Yes, try the red one that says iso on it. When your on iso, you should see the contents in the right side pane. That will be what get's extracted when you perform that function.

Again, it's been several years since I have used Isobuster. But my (weak) recollection is that's how it is done.

Mike

tiktok 22

Flashlight Enthusiast
Nero saves ISO files as .nrg(I think) files when saved to the image drive. So it does seem to be Nero specific. If you burn with Nero, this won't be a problem.

jtice

Flashaholic
OK, i got ISObuster to extract a Bin file.
Makes the Bin file alot larger than the size on disk though. /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/frown.gif Wasnt expecting that.

Is an ISO an image?
Or is an "image" of a cd different?

_mike_

Flashlight Enthusiast
Iso actually is short for International Organization for Standardization, and it's not an acronym. Iso is greek and means "equal". Anyhow, an ISO is just a nice way of having a bunch of files contained in one file, kind of (kind of) like a zipped file.

The contents of a cd are generally all the files that are contained in a single ISO file, just they are all expanded and you can see all of them.

Mike

kongfuchicken

Flashlight Enthusiast
That's odd; the content of an image should be the same size as what's extracted... A little bigger can be expected but a lot bigger is kinda suspicious.
Are you sure you didn't extract it twice or something?

jtice

Flashaholic
Nope just made one lol /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/tongue.gif

OK, I only see the option to make BIN files with ISObuster.
Is there no way to make an ISO file with it?
Would an ISO be smaller than the BIN file?

These BIN files are typically 650MB on CD vs. 730MB BIN file. Thats a big diff. /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/frown.gif

_mike_

Flashlight Enthusiast
John,

Sorry about that, I misunderstood what you were wanting to do. Ok, on track now.

Since you already have a bin file you could convert that using Bin to Iso converter offered at CD Media World. I think .... I THINK, it will do what you want. If not, I am going to sit down and shutup and stop sending you on wild goose chases.

Mike

BB

Flashlight Enthusiast
If I remember correctly, ISO does not do file compression. With PK/WinZip, I have seen typical BINs compressed by 50%.

Regarding file sizes, Are you talking about one 650 MB BIN file, or possibly hundreds (or more) BIN files that add up to 650 MB? If it is the later, you can get into issues of minimum allocation of storage. For example, a hard disk today typically has 512 byte sectors and a group of (example: 4-8) sectors to make up a "cluster" (in PC speak). So, if you have a bunch of small files (less than a cluster) plus files that are not even cluster sizes--you may end up with slack that is not part of the file size, but is certainly "used up" and not available for storage of other files.

I don't know much about ISO/CD file structures, but I could believe that depending on how you "measure or report" a file size, you can get some very different results. Especially when comparing different file systems.

-Bill

jtice

Flashaholic
lol thanks mike.

Its not that I have to have it in ISO format, its just that is what I here of the most, I just thought it would be better or smaller.

ISObuster said in the help, that you could rename the bin file to an iso.
I did, then burned the ISO to a cd using nero, and it was unreadable. /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/frown.gif

I am basiacally just wanting a way to copy CDs to a hard drive, and be able to burn them later.
So, thats why I wanted to copy an Image of the cd to the hard drive, just like Nero would copy and image of the cd, to another cd, but nero wont let me copy it to the hard drive, plus, it saves it as its own special format.

jtice

Flashaholic
BB, I was talking about ONE 650MB Bin file.

Yes, I understand that multiple small files will take up more space, due to cluster sizes.
Zip the Bin file huh? hmmmm /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/thinking.gif
I will see how much smaller they get.

_mike_

Flashlight Enthusiast
John, one more wild goose chase. If zipping is what you might want to do, here's a free "zipper" utility ....... 7-Zip.

Mike

B@rt

Flashaholic
Hmm, I use VirtualDrive to save cd's to my HD. easy thing about it is that you can approach it as an extra drive, so it is very easy to burn a cd from it when needed. /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/wink.gif

tiktok 22

Flashlight Enthusiast
Hi John,

I just used Nero to rip an ISO(.nrg) to my HD. Burnt it back to cd and it worked just fine. I'm not sure if you can use any other software to burn it back though. Just my thoughts.