Anything new from MagLite ?

DaveH

Enlightened
These guys played a big role in getting me hooked on flashlights.

So they've added colors, and some commorative graphic designs, but no new architectures. Is there anywhere left for the tubular light to go? Or has it reached it's final stage of evolution?

DaveH

DavidW

Flashlight Enthusiast
I think they've maxed out on fresh ideas. I have a half dozen Mag-Lites. (All with Carley Lamps Xenon Stars or Eveready Halogens.) And 2-3 AA Mini-Mags. (With Brinkmann Xenon bulbs.) I only plan to get a 6D to replace the one I lost. I was going to get the rechargeable version at Costco for $75. But when I finally made up my mind they were all gone and they didn't restock.

They pretty much stick to the basics. If they do come out with a new design I'd be surprised.

------------------
"A knifeless man is a lifeless man"
-Nordic proverb

dano

Flashlight Enthusiast
Mag-Lite did a subtle redesgin some years back (slimmer tubes, refined switch, etc) but went almost unnoticed by the general public...I guess it's a case of: "if it works, don't fix it...)

--dan

Clay

Newly Enlightened
I have noticed what Dano is discussing. The slimmer barrell being the most noticeable. There is slightly less rattle as well. An easy way to check, is if there is the "ram's head" logo on the head, it is probably the newer slimmer model.

I think they need to start shipping with Carley lamps. That would be a big plus!

Does anyone feel they should getinto the Lithium battery flashlight lines?

------------------
Clay Fleischer
[email protected]

"More light!" -Goethe

Brock

Flashaholic
It would be intresting if they got in to the lithium line. But since the lamps they use aren't the best, I am not sure what they would use for the lithium version. The good thing, it would probably be cheaper than anything else, since it would show up in all the stores. Maybe even make 123A's more common as well. My guess is it would be very similar to the streamlight scorpion except with the ever common mag button near the head.

Brock

DaveH

Enlightened
Actually I like the older switches better. The new ones don't feel as sturdy, IMO.

I wrote them a few years ago asked them if they where thinking about getting into lithium lights as I had just bought one and I though they would be popular...

Surefire folks have sure taken off with their products, problem now is they'd have to fight against an established product line, OTOH, maybe they could beat them on price.

DaveH

dano

Flashlight Enthusiast
I could be wrong on this, but the MagLite "Mag-Num Star" bulbs are made by Carley. Not the bulbs that come with a maglite, but the Maglite bulbs called Mag-Num Star that are sold like an upgrade...

--dan

Brock

Flashaholic
When I get my Carleys from Walt I will compare them to the Mag-num stars. I can get those at a local store. I will pick them up and see if they are indeed brighter / differnt than the origionals.

Brock

DavidW

Flashlight Enthusiast
The Magnum Stars are probably Carley Lamps Krypton Star with better quality control. I've noticed the dimensions on the Carley Lamps vary widely. While the Magnum Stars look more consistant. They are listed as krypton filled and not xenon filled. The 3 cell version of the Magnum Star I have is brighter than the stock bulb. But not as white as the Carley Xenon bulb.

And they both have "Mexico" stamped on them
grin.gif

------------------
"A knifeless man is a lifeless man"
-Nordic proverb

alpg88

Flashlight Enthusiast
There is a mag tac2 now, got one recently pretty good light, UI sucked at first but once i got used to it, it is not that bad

vicv

Flashlight Enthusiast
There is a mag tac2 now, got one recently pretty good light, UI sucked at first but once i got used to it, it is not that bad
Ya not much has changed though. A slight bump to the output. I actually prefer the original one. Double tap to 40 punchy lumens is nice. Would prefer it come on in low, but it is a tac light after all

knucklegary

Flashlight Enthusiast
Maglite is offering an early Black Friday 40% off 'BFCM40' at checkout..

Now I'm asking myself,, why don't I need, but want, a new ML150L ?

If it came Midnight Blue, it'd already be ordered..
As it is I'm considering the matt finish (X) version.
Wish it had the pineapple grips!

vicv

Flashlight Enthusiast

Me crying in Canadian

Monocrom

Flashaholic
Why make a new thread if an old one works?
Thread so old, if it were a human-being, was born, grew up, graduated from college last year.... and today has been working as a waitress at a cocktail bar. Having no clue how she'll pay off her massive student loan debts. Is considering posting feet pics. on O.F.

On a serious note, you run the risk of asking older members a question.... Not realizing some of them are deceased. Yes, that's happened.

bykfixer

Flashaholic

Yeah, I was eyeballing my MagTac2 thinking "you know, you probably could use a little brother".

Opted for a 3cell ML25 to replace one that lost a battle to cancer via leaking duracell.

Last edited: