Is being Rude becoming the American Way ?

DanM

Newly Enlightened
People acting rude seems to be becoming an epidemic. You see it in stores (with customers and sales people) and you see it driving, even in small towns.

Any large event (sporting events, movie theaters, and the like) people do not seem to care how they act.

I know there is a fine line between being assertive and being rude. Any one else see this becoming an epidemic.
Or am I /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/dedhorse.gif

Xrunner

Flashlight Enthusiast
No, I agree with you. It's sad to say that it seems like more and more people just don't care how they act or treat each other. This also seems to be getting worse faster, which does not bode well for the future. I just finished reading Putnam's Bowling Alone, which talks about the decline in Social Capital and causes/effects. Very interesting read.

-Mike

raggie33

*the raggedier*
i see it my self i always say thank you adn you welcome when at stores etc etc and close with have a nice day and most people look at me as if they never heard some one say them words before

The_LED_Museum

*Retired*
I always say please, thank you, you're welcome, and excuse me please. But every once in awhile, I come across a real fartknocker or douchebag who doesn't seem to know what those words and phrases mean. /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/icon15.gif
I don't see it as more prevalent, but it is wrong when it does occur. /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/frown.gif /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/jpshakehead.gif /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/frown.gif

Bravo25

Flashlight Enthusiast
I think the problem has become epidemic with the rise of such noted people as Dr. Spock who sseem to advocate being a friend to your children, and not a parent.

robstarr-lite

Newly Enlightened
i have felt that ever since we lost 411 and automated voice mail took over [especially how wide spread its been in the past 2 years with off-shoring] rudeness seems to have increased in this country...along with the " bottom line" concept".....additionaly never have i met so many people across such a wide spectrum where the first word out of their mouth is "its not my job to help you" or i don't know because.... or its not in my knowledge base....i feel there is a connection here...people just aren't happy

nikon

Flashlight Enthusiast
Seems to me that courtesy is only one of many traditions we're losing as time goes on. Honesty and morality come quickly to mind as well. Society is changing and it doesn't seem to be for the better.

Kiessling

Flashaholic
just a quick heads-up /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/mad.gif : rudeness is not only the new American way, we in Europe are doing our own to contribute to the cause /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/icon15.gif
bernhard

PhotonWrangler

Flashaholic
I was raised to say "please" and "thank you." I have made a concerted effort to use these phrases more often lately as a means of reminding certain folks about politeness and civility.

metalhed

Enlightened
I was always taught to be as courteous and empathetic as possible. I think rudeness is one of the costs of more and more people packing tighter and tighter together.

US Population

1960 - 179,323,175
2002 - 281,421,906

Over 100 million more people.

World population

1960 - 3,039,669,330
2002 - 6,232,702,169

Over 3 BILLION more people.

We're all just trying to defend our personal territory, and it isn't as easy as it used to be. So we get rude behavior.

Sad... /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/mecry.gif

lightnix

Enlightened
[ QUOTE ]
...rudeness is not only the new American way, we in Europe are doing our own to contribute to the cause...

[/ QUOTE ] Sad, but true, Herr Kiessling, not least in Britain.

Personally I blame Maggie Thatch, Ronnie Raygun and the adoption of the Free Market Economy in the 80s. It was that which (re)introduced the idea that there is no such thing as "society" and that it's the individual who matters, especially if they have lots of money.

The result has been the creation of a culture of hedonistic selfishness, where everybody looks after No.1 and demands instant gratification, while insisting on their "right" to consequence-free actions with instant gratification at any time and any place.

I can't remember who said it, but I read a quote recently, which said...
[ QUOTE ]
We are arriving at a situation where nobody is responsible for their actions, but we are all responsible for the actions of others.

[/ QUOTE ]

Sad /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/frown.gif

JOshooter

Enlightened
Personally I don't run into rude behavior that often, the first time in a long while I ran into a "fartknocker" riding home on my bike. He shouted something at me, I assume he mistaked me for someone else because I try my best not to rub people the wrong way. I ignored him and continued on my way. So, I would say that for me at least, it is not an epidemic, although I do live in a fairly small city.

AlphaTea

Enlightened
I discovered a long time ago that there are some people in this world that are just plain miserable bass turds.
They know they are miserable bass turds.
They hate the fact that they are miserable bass turds.
The only happiness that they can feel is if they think someone else is more miserable than they are. These people will sometimes go to great lengths to make others miserable.
Sad but true.

pedalinbob

Flashlight Enthusiast
[ QUOTE ]
Bravo25 said:
I think the problem has become epidemic with the rise of such noted people as Dr. Spock who sseem to advocate being a friend to your children, and not a parent.

[/ QUOTE ]

i second this motion!

Bob

Topper

Flashaholic*
Bravo25,It is not logical to blame Spock or any other Vulcan for
illogical human traits. /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/grin.gif
lightnix: I admire "Maggie Thatch"
and while I thought his movies were not to good I admire
President Reagen and it is sad that he is in extremly bad health. If you find that funny well I guess that is your right. I was not shocked just saddened.
Topper

nikon

Flashlight Enthusiast
While I don't admire either Maggie or Ronnie I can't lay the blame for the current problem at their feet. I think it's been going downhill for longer than that. so did the Beatles, when they sang...

Why don't we do it in the road
No one will be watching us

Hedonism may not have begun in the sixties, but it sure was promoted heavily at that time.

JasonC8301

Flashlight Enthusiast
Middle aged business lady holding her purse in Penn station drops her newspaper (well all 5 parts of it) and no one even gives a wink and a look. I have about 60-65 pounds of gear on my back (stuffed out duffel bag GI issue, bringing 50% of my clothes and other heavy items home from my dorm room) I bend down and pick up her newspapers for her. Everyone eyes me like I'm a freak. The lady is freaking out too by this act.

I'm like whatever, keep walking toward my train.

Depressing...

there are still good people out there. In a population so big, they are few and far between.

Just my 2 pennies.

raggie33

*the raggedier*
me and my buddies always stop and help motoerist who need help.i belive what goes around comes around