Talked to Inova today about their X5T-UV

bald1

Enlightened
I wanted to confirm the wavelength of the ultraviolet light it produces. We were comparing the personal one I just got to a big Spectroline BIB-150P UV Flood. Aside from the obvious differences in output capabilities, the X5T produces a more vivid purplish light simply because the big BIB is outputing closer to the invisible spectrum.

Their technical reps cited 395 nM +/- 5 which is on the upper range of UV-A light. The BIB-150P cranks photons out at 365 nM which is the lower end of the range.

I was very pleased with the X5T-UV's abilities and as a result we're ordering a bunch to outfit personnel at work /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/smile.gif The portability factor is a very big plus over the AC powered BIB-150P!
bib150p.jpg

--Bob

Gene

Flashlight Enthusiast
Interesting Bob. Your personnel will really appreciate not having to lug those Spectrolines around!

bald1

Enlightened
Gene,

Absolutely. 5 folks share access to the 2 BIBs we have and usually they have to return to the office to snag one once they have found flags have gone up prompting the need. With the X5T-UVs in their pocket, they can more readily make on scene determinations. Plus we feel that once the word is out that they are so equipped, we'll have something of an additional deterrance factor. Obviously I'm not going into detail about just what they're engaged in... suffice it to say they were pretty excited after testing out my personal X5T-UV Friday /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/smile.gif

--Bob

The_LED_Museum

*Retired*
[ QUOTE ]
bald1 said:
Their technical reps cited 395 nM +/- 5 which is on the upper range of UV-A light. The BIB-150P cranks photons out at 365 nM which is the lower end of the range.

[/ QUOTE ]
In my experience, the Inova X5T UV produces radiation mainly from 400nm to 405nm. My spectrometer doesn't work anymore though, so I cannot confirm this exactly. I did buy an optical spectroscope through Edmund Scientific a few days ago (advertised as being accurate to within +-1nm) and I'll check my X5T UV with it as soon as I receive it. The LEDs used in this flashlight should have a spectral line halfwidth of 20nm, so I should be able to determine the peak wavelength with the spectroscope. No guarantees here, but I *will* try.

bald1

Enlightened
It'll certainly be interesting to read what your tests show. 400nM would be at the high end of the tolerance range they cited. 405 nM would be flat unsat /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/frown.gif

--Bob